shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on Pair For Stud Upgrade

Trudii

Rough_Rock
I posted about a month ago looking to upgrade my current 1.8 ctw studs to something over 2. I settled that 2.4 ctw would likely be enough of a change that I'd actually appreciate a difference. I even bought some 7mm CZ to compare side by side. I have generously sized lobes, so I didn't think they looked too out of place.

At the 2.4 ctw I want, the vendor has only VS stones with AGS certs. Beautifully cut, well under 2 HCA scores. They come out over budget, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. But I wonder if it is overkill.

So then I started playing "what if I were really going to spend that much" game (I'd hazard a guess it is a well known game on this site). The vendor has a pair at 3.0 ctw, SI1/2, GIA certs. The cut isn't as perfect, one is <2 on HCA, the other is under 2.5. But they come out to the same out of pocket as the 2.5 ctw VS stones.

I'm having a difficult time coming to a conclusion of what the right answer is.

Part of me is over the moon thinking about 3 ctw. Filling up more of the vast wasteland of a lobe is always good. Maybe I wouldn't ever have to upgrade again. Or I could just upgrade the one with the less than ideal HCA score down the line, but in the same size. Because I cannot see going larger than this.

The other part thinks size isn't everything, and I should go for quality over quantity.

I did the HCA for the stones I have now and realized one was under 2, and the other was a whopping 3.5. I cannot tell you which is which. I'm not sure if the quality of cut would be more obvious in a 1.5 ct stone than a 0.9 ct stone or not.

Here are links to the two 1.5 ct stones. Anyone have feedback?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-..._round-EX-GIA-H-SI2-diamond-stock-14958-cert-
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-..._round-EX-GIA-I-SI1-diamond-stock-15781-cert-

PSPL

Rough_Rock
The HCA is a rejection tool, and since you have ASET images and video, you don't need it. From your post, it sounds like you value and appreciate size more than other attributes, and are not particularly sensitive to performance differences, and that's okay! Based on that, I would recommend you get the 3.0 ctw pair if they perform well enough for you, and meet your clarity criteria. If you have doubts, have GOG shoot a video comparing the two diamonds you're considering, as well as maybe one super ideal (Ascendancy) diamond to see if you can see any differences. Shoot under different lights, and have one part shot at a distance for more real life perspective. The Platinum Select should still be very pretty. Let us know what you decide!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in the US? If so, can you have them send you both pairs to look at?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.5 I SI1, but I would not match an H stone with it. Same color is a must for me because I can see the difference in color. Ask GOG to call in a match to the I SI1. I'd rather have the color match and have no lower than SI1.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1487885613|4132719 said:
I like the 1.5 I SI1, but I would not match an H stone with it. Same color is a must for me because I can see the difference in color. Ask GOG to call in a match to the I SI1. I'd rather have the color match and have no lower than SI1.

I have so very many questions...

My current earrings, one is H and one is I. I cannot tell a difference, although I'm starting to think if I cannot tell a difference in cut or color, maybe I need glasses.

I also thought the I SI1 was the lesser of the two stones. It was the one over 2 on the HCA. This whole process is so subjective, every time I think I've figured out the right answer, I find out I've got it backward.

Last, but not least, do I have the right to ask them to "call in a match" when I'm doing an upgrade? If yes, how specific can I be? I don't want them to spend a lot of time, find a perfect match that is exceedingly more expensive than the original. I would be beyond well pleased if I could get another stone with similar spec and price, that I could potentially upgrade if I ever wanted (however unlikely). If I was being logical, I guess since I'm about to drop thousands of dollars on top of the earrings I'll be sending back, I should be able to make a reasonable request. But I'm just not sure what the etiquette for upgrading is.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1487828837|4132459 said:
Are you in the US? If so, can you have them send you both pairs to look at?

Would they really do that? I'd guess they'd have to put a hold on a CC or something. Having loose diamonds in the house might push me over the edge though - I'm paranoid of the cat ever getting an earring as it is, loose stones would be so much easier to get lost.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check under the menu up top for independent appraisers and have the diamonds sent to one so you can examine there and pay for a third opinion?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really look at HCA numbers when I am looking at stones with light return images. I can't pull up the GIA report to see what the angles are on the 1.5 I SI1, but the idealscope image is fine. I had forgotten you were trading up with them, and yes, they do want the stones to be in-house. But of course, you can ask them anything. Tell them you are upgrading earrings and have found one stone on their site.( If you look at the details, though, that 1.5 I SI1 says it is not in-house. So I am not sure whether they will let you upgrade to that or not.) If they will, tell them you need them to call in another 1.5 I SI1 that is a good match. Never hurts to ask. If they say no, explain that you bought the original studs from them with the intent to upgrade, and they have no I color pairs between 1.3 and 1.5 cts for you to choose. So you need them to call in one match. I just wouldn't be happy with an H SI2 for the match. I wouldn't go below SI1 and you need I color for the price.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1487943070|4132867 said:
I don't really look at HCA numbers when I am looking at stones with light return images. I can't pull up the GIA report to see what the angles are on the 1.5 I SI1, but the idealscope image is fine. I had forgotten you were trading up with them, and yes, they do want the stones to be in-house. But of course, you can ask them anything. Tell them you are upgrading earrings and have found one stone on their site.( If you look at the details, though, that 1.5 I SI1 says it is not in-house. So I am not sure whether they will let you upgrade to that or not.) If they will, tell them you need them to call in another 1.5 I SI1 that is a good match. Never hurts to ask. If they say no, explain that you bought the original studs from them with the intent to upgrade, and they have no I color pairs between 1.3 and 1.5 cts for you to choose. So you need them to call in one match. I just wouldn't be happy with an H SI2 for the match. I wouldn't go below SI1 and you need I color for the price.

Well crud. I missed the part where it said it wasn't in-house, I just saw that they had pictures and that it was eligible for upgrade later. Their policy is pretty clear that it has to be in-house only. My budget (16K - half trade in and half cash) has to be pretty modest by NY standards so I wouldn't expect them to make an exception for one stone, let alone both.

Thank you for pointing it out though, it would have been embarrassing to waste the nice GOG lady's time.

Not sure what to do next.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You bought stones with an upgrade policy. You need to call and say that you want to upgrade and they don't have anything in stock. Tell them that was a big reason you bought your studs there, so you could upgrade. They need to call in stones for you since there is nothing suitable. You need to ask. An upgrade policy is worthless if they require the upgrades to be in-house yet don't carry matched pairs to upgrade to! Surely they will help you!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1487994452|4133351 said:
You bought stones with an upgrade policy. You need to call and say that you want to upgrade and they don't have anything in stock. Tell them that was a big reason you bought your studs there, so you could upgrade. They need to call in stones for you since there is nothing suitable. You need to ask. An upgrade policy is worthless if they require the upgrades to be in-house yet don't carry matched pairs to upgrade to! Surely they will help you!

+1 it never hurts to ask!

fingers crossed for you

Trudii

Rough_Rock
I decided it would be good to know what the 3.0 ctw would look like before I pester GOG, so I ordered another pair of fakes. These were set ridiculously high and the posts at the top instead of the middle. I would return them if I had actually intended to wear them.

As I mentioned in the first post, I have generously sized earlobes. Before I spend all of this money, I want to make sure that these don't look out of place. The first is the 1.5 ct fake, then the 1.2 ct fake and then my real 0.90 ct. At first the 1.5 ct looked insanely large but I wasn't sure if it was the bad setting or the stones are just too large.

I know the pictures are not great, but any thoughts if the 1.2 (2.4 total) or 1.5 (3 total) are reasonable?

all_3_small_1.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can rock 1.2-1.5 ct no problem! The best part about studs is that if you feel self conscious, untuck your hair and let it hang over your ear :saint:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 1.5 ct looks great on you so go for it!!

My larger studs are two different colors, an I and a J (both with blue fluorescence, the I is medium, the J is strong). I was hesitant at first to buy 2 different colors, but it turned out fine. I'm not particularly color sensitive and they'll always be separated by my head when I'm wearing them. They're the right size, sparkle like mad and that's what I care about.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
I wanted to thank everyone for the support to "woman up" and at least ask about the 1.5 ct stones. I wrote last Thursday and heard back right away from a co-worker that the nice lady I have been speaking with would write back on Friday. She hasn't written back just yet, but I'm sure she'll get to me when she can - this is jewelry not life or death. :) And at least I gave it an all out effort, even if it ends up not being successful.

But in the worst case scenario if I am not able to do a trade in, I'd want to sell my current earrings and save up for something larger in a few years. Am I allowed to use the images and test results that were originally on the website or in my appraisal? Or are those copyrighted to the store? I save everything, but not sure if I could use that for a sale.

I've sold many things on eBay over the years, and I've had enough things go wrong and write them off that I wouldn't want to sell fine jewelry there. Who would you recommend for consignment?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results