shape
carat
color
clarity

Vietnamese lavender blue spinel worth buying?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a lavender blue spinel from Vietnamese that is 2.8ct.
I like the color, the size and price is reasonable too, just not sure about the shape.
What can you do with this unusual trillion?
Would you buy it?

img_7277.png

img_15138.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
It's a gorgeous color, and it would make a wicked cool pendant. But is it big enough for one? I just gave away my little blue kite shape topaz because I couldn't picture it as anything but a pendant and for me it was even too small for that (for my liking). I think you could do cool things with it but you would have to be pretty creative. Do you think you will love it more than your pear? It looks similar color to me (maybe it's my monitor?)
Edit: I see the color difference now that I went back and looked. Ignore last comment! :silenced:

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! I second the pendant idea. I would totally buy it if I had the money to spend on gems.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I could imagine a modern design for it in a ring or pendant. I'd take it if it's nicely priced.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
It's under $1k so I'd say it's nicely prized
Problem is I don't wear necklace so this has to be in a ring, making it harder to decide :doh:

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I'd buy it only if I had a design in mind or wanted a new project - it'll need something artistic and I have too many things piling up to add more to the 'maybe someday' list!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not very big on necklaces either. a bracelet/cufflet or a pin. a ring would have to be pretty avant guard to show off this stone. I'd pair it with something like to amp up the blue factor.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That color is so beautiful and I think hard to find. Would you wear a bracelet?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Funny thing is I saw another purple spinel in a similar shape, only much bigger at 3.75ct, I wouldn't mind the color difference, but they won't be a perfect pair size wise. What do you think of this option? The bigger purple spinel is way more expensive though. Cost
$3k....If not because of the price I'd probably buy both and adopt this interesting pair of spinels. :((

66.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
For me, I probably wouldn't get them to put them in any jewelry. But I collect stones for jewelry and also some just to have to play with loose and look at. So they would make really cool stones for a collection for sure. They might be harder to sell if you ever need to just because of the shape (if that's a consideration at all). Hmmm i'm interested in which way you will decide to go! Maybe someone will chime in with some genius ring option!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look fabulous in a modern bypass ring with a pinkish red spinel in an elongated shape like a pear or marquise to play alongside of this one. Rose gold on this side of the bypass and white metal on the other.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
I think it would look fabulous in a modern bypass ring with a pinkish red spinel in an elongated shape like a pear or marquise to play alongside of this one. Rose gold on this side of the bypass and white metal on the other.

marymm said:
Love this Spinel! I think it might look cool in a 2-stone/bypass ring design with a long skinny pear-cut, maybe something along the lines of this one <a class="vglnk" href="http://www.d...e, could you girls please show me an example?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ OTL, here's a photo of the diamond I had linked to, it is Item R5040 on Diamonds by Lauren website, a 0.57ct E-VS1 pear-cut diamond, 8.64 x 4.52 x 2.48 mm - this one is pretty shallow and may/may not be the best choice, but it had the long skinny splintery pear-ness I thought might complement the Spinel...

dbl_-_r5940-pear-diamond-f.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1487622437|4131264 said:
TL said:

marymm said:
Love this Spinel! I think it might look cool in a 2-stone/bypass ring design with a long skinny pear-cut, maybe something along the lines of this one <a class="vglnk" href="http://www.d...n the internet. [ATTACH=full]484293[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• img_15180.jpg
    img_15180.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 555

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
What about orienting it vertically in a bezel possibly with baguette diamonds to make a halo?

Inspiration pics:

The inverse of this middle ring (color in the middle, white on the outside)

bezel_ring_idea.jpg

antique-style-ruby-halos.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color. The shape is a real challenge. You've gotten some great ideas. I prefer the bypass ring. If not that then a wire wrapped pendant. HTH

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
A little update

I decided not to buy the trillion though thanks for everyone's great input! Because I think I found something better.
My source vendor is travelling in Vietnam and buying some rough to cut.
Most of these are fish tank material according to him :mrgreen:
It'll be one romantic fish tank though :))

img_15244.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
These are the only big ones yielded.
I bought the 2 pears from top left. Yes, earrings!

And one long pear weighs 4.2ct (btw, that shape is great for a pendant, not so great that I'm not a necklace person. But that stone is calling me I want to be a pendant I want to be a pendant, I swear I heard it!)

They are windowed, I know. :( How sad is that! But I've learned to appreciate rare color over window/inclusions a lot better now. :bigsmile:

_39092.jpg

_39093.jpg

_39094.jpg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Another thing I wanted to note was how weird some of the skin color was on some of the previous pictures...like oddly pink. The nice purple color is will probably be less saturated in hand than the picture.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OTL|1487873736|4132630 said:
These are the only big ones yielded.
I bought the 2 pears from top left. Yes, earrings!

And one long pear weighs 4.2ct (btw, that shape is great for a pendant, not so great that I'm not a necklace person. But that stone is calling me I want to be a pendant I want to be a pendant, I swear I heard it!)

They are windowed, I know. :( How sad is that! But I've learned to appreciate rare color over window/inclusions a lot better now. :bigsmile:

Funny you mentioned about windows and inclusions. Rare stones are rarer above 4 carats such as sapphires and spinels and are just difficult to find in a perfect cut. Somehow the carat weight is given emphasis more than the cut at these sizes.

In rare gemstones, I find myself putting emphasis on color first....I've experienced that though I can obtain a perfect cut in smaller sizes, I can't always get the same color in a nice gemstone with good tone and saturation once I let it pass!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
exciting

I liked the original shape too. beautiful colour, who needs symmetry :wavey:

also didn't think the skin was oddly pink. im pink undertone in my skin (when not lathered in fake tan) :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, deleted. I missed the ending. Beautiful stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results