shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncut Sapphires

Christatate

Rough_Rock
How do i find gemologist that can tell me about the many large uncut stones that I have inherited recently. I don't quite know where to even start.

20170213_125958.jpg

20170213_0.jpg

20170213_130035.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stones are fairly large for sapphires unless the crystals are in a matrix. What do you want to do with them? Have them appraised or cut? I find that the stone cutters will have more experience in assessing roughs, and we have several cutters in this forum. Maybe one of them could accept an initial consultation.

Christatate

Rough_Rock
How do I go about getting one of them to advise me? What would you do? I have a bunch more like these or bigger. I thought they were just cool rocks bUT was told they are sapphires. Lol I am sorry for not being educated in this and hope that I came to the right place.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
These do not look like gem grade stones. I'd advise you to keep thinking of them as cool rocks and to not waste money on a cutter or appraiser. If you wanted to clean them up a bit, perhaps you could invest in a rock tumbler.

Christatate

Rough_Rock
Here are some more pics of my "cool rocks"

stones5.jpeg

stones4.jpeg

stones3.jpeg

stones2.jpeg

Christatate

Rough_Rock
1 more pic that I had to post

stone7.jpeg

Christatate

Rough_Rock
Thank you sir for taking the time to post a response. I have posted some more pics. I am terrible at taking photos that will do these justice. I thought they were originally some types of quartz or mineral rocks but a friend that works for NASA is the one that said they were rough sapphire and that I should have an expert or someone with knowledge about them to take a look. Thessee pics don't do them justice or one thing and on another is that these aren't even the best of the lot.

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
Are there any gem or mineral clubs in your area? You might try contacting one or going to a gem show and talking to some people who display larger rough rocks and crystals. They might be able to lead you in the right direction :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stones you have are not gem quality, and could not be faceted into a gemstone. These would be of more interest to a rock collector. The red and green stones look like ruby in zoisite. These are often used for rock carving, or cut into large cabs for things such as western style belt buckles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results