shape
carat
color
clarity

Back to the drawing board? Input on some lower $ sapphires

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Re: Back to the drawing board? Input on some lower $ sapphir

Considering that both are from reputable sellers, could you order both and compare them in person? If cash flows are a concern, you could time it so that you're charged at the beginning of your credit card cycle and then make sure that the return is completed before the cycle closes.

But for my two cents, I prefer the lighter cushion!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has broader facets in the body of the cushion, but I can not say for certain that is a bowtie. A bowtie us when your head obstructs light when viewing the stone and makes a black or dark band in the center. I would ask gary if it has one. He'll be honest. If it's large that's a problem. If it's slight, you'll have to decide. It creates light play on the hand abd is not something viewed at all angles by all viewers.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487199876|4129365 said:
It has broader facets in the body of the cushion, but I can not say for certain that is a bowtie. A bowtie us when your head obstructs light when viewing the stone and makes a black or dark band in the center. I would ask gary if it has one. He'll be honest. If it's large that's a problem. If it's slight, you'll have to decide. It creates light play on the hand abd is not something viewed at all angles by all viewers.

I've sent him an email asking, so we'll see what he says!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

According to Gary:

Thanks for your interest in Finewater Gems and the 2.00 ct yellow sapphire! The dark area (a so-called "bowtie") in the first photo is a reflection from my camera lens because the macro lens needs to be very close to the gemstone for these highly magnified photos. The darkness is not apparent in real life. I almost didn't include the first photo on my website because I didn't want to mislead people, but rest assured it's only the photo. It really is a very nice sapphire! Please let me know if you might have any other questions and I'll be happy to respond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hobbitfancier55|1487208463|4129470 said:
According to Gary:

Thanks for your interest in Finewater Gems and the 2.00 ct yellow sapphire! The dark area (a so-called "bowtie") in the first photo is a reflection from my camera lens because the macro lens needs to be very close to the gemstone for these highly magnified photos. The darkness is not apparent in real life. I almost didn't include the first photo on my website because I didn't want to mislead people, but rest assured it's only the photo. It really is a very nice sapphire! Please let me know if you might have any other questions and I'll be happy to respond.
That's good. Does that help you decide at all?
One thing to consider, sending this back if you don't like it will be cheaper to ship than the more expensive one. If you want to see a stone to decide

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thinking. Have you gone to a jeweler to see which shape is most flattering on your hand? Have your tried on styles? I know you have a setting idea on mind but many here have found once on your hand you get a pretty good idea of what will work and what definitely won't

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I was hoping he'd say it had one and it would make my decision easier :) I haven't tried on either shape recently but have costume jewelry in a round and rectangle and do like both. The cushion is probably more finger lengthening. I wear a size 6 so don't have huge fingers.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You had also considered setting that bicolor radiant sideways. Would you consider setting the cushion sideways?

Are you sold on the style you're after. Maybe a Pinterest search might yeald a "dream ring" which will help in your search.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I most likely would set the cushion the traditional way, but I'm not opposed to setting it east-west either. I really do want a yellow stone. I've been google imaging both round and cushion, and I like both. Maybe after discussing with the boyfriend tonight I'll have a better idea.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I think with either I'd do a fairly simple setting. Something like this could go with either:

6713w18.jpg

If I chose the round another option I like is tapered baguettes:

round-brilliant-with-tapered-baguettes-19446387_strt_3_tf_as.jpg

If I chose the cushion another option is side stones in baguettes or maybe a trapezoid shape. I don't like the prongs on this one, but you get the idea:

87b5ad61c59116e9f208148e11bf0093.jpg

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Ooooo even something like this for the cushion would look nice. I wonder how much something like this runs. Though I think I'd prefer it if they were channel set.

31-3015-pl-e.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh man a that cushion in a setting similar to that bezeled trap setting.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487284202|4129906 said:

How much do you think a setting like that would start at? More than 2k?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hobbitfancier55|1487285599|4129920 said:
Niel|1487284202|4129906 said:

How much do you think a setting like that would start at? More than 2k?

Depends. Probably. What's your budget for the setting? Are you aiming for platinum?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This setting might be a nice option for your cushion I'd you liked it e/w

Just trying to think of settings that wouldn't be to costly.

971394986a784f4b4c34255b459d1c58.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a PSer had that Brilliantly Engaged setting (two bands connecting to the stone) with a colored round stone.

Lovely choice for either a round or a cushion if you have the finger real estate.

I really like the E/W setting Niel just posted. It looks a bit Art Deco.

Keep us up to date with your choice.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Hi All!

Sorry for the slow response. I've still been going back and forth trying to decide which of these stones I'm leaning towards.

Niel - I do like that setting idea. I'm definitely not thinking platinum. Just 14k or 18k gold.

Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems also just got back to me after be in Tucson. What do you guys think of this step cut he has available? Asscher was at the top of my list when I was looking at diamonds, but you don't see them as much in sapphires.

Origin: Australia
2 Carats
Eye Clean
7 X 7.02 X4.31
$2,860 AUD = $2,198 US (I believe)

doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23d.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23c.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23b.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23a.jpg

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I guess it's actually not a true asscher, but still a step cut. Now that I look at it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I dunno. The color seems a tad on the golden side and I don't think I'd like it set. It'll. Have to be set with v prongs to protect the tips and they can get a tad clunky.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hobbitfancier55|1487631983|4131392 said:
I guess it's actually not a true asscher, but still a step cut. Now that I look at it.

If you want an Asscher wait for an Asscher. IMO

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487637572|4131445 said:
I dunno. The color seems a tad on the golden side and I don't think I'd like it set. It'll. Have to be set with v prongs to protect the tips and they can get a tad clunky.

That's honestly what I thought, but wanted to see what the board made of it. It's a little more dark/brown and I think I don't like that the corners are square and not squared off. I hadn't even thought about what kind of prongs would be necessary, but you guys always know this kind of stuff :)

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Stone Hunter|1487652010|4131588 said:
hobbitfancier55|1487631983|4131392 said:

If you want an Asscher wait for an Asscher. IMO

Honestly? I like the cushion and round better. Especially in a sapphire, I think they provide more brilliance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So ill ask this again just because I think it's the best option, AR eyou able to buy one and see it in person?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

+1 !

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My vote would be to get the cushion first. Two reasons: One, if you don't like it it's cheaper to ship back 1800 insured vs 3k insured. Second, if you love it's a cheaper stone. Lol. Shipping things back and forth can get experience I'd try and save where I can.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487703164|4131765 said:
So ill ask this again just because I think it's the best option, AR eyou able to buy one and see it in person?

I'll have to see, but ideally that would be best. Even if we did a few payments, i'm sure we could still return if we were unhappy. No guarantees of course the other stone would still be available at that point. The cushion would definitely be cheaper if we had to ship it back.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

For fun, here are some more pictures of the step cut Doug sent over.

doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23h.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23g.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23f.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-square-step-cut-12112-23e.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm confused...so you don't have a credit card to charge the stone on, so you can see it?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

digdeep|1487724919|4131939 said:
I'm confused...so you don't have a credit card to charge the stone on, so you can see it?

Both of us do. We just weren't sure if we wanted to put that much on a card at one time unless we planned on paying it off at the next billing period in full

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results