shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have studs...

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Received my WF studs yesterday. Both are lovely but I can definitely see a difference between the two under most lighting conditions. So can my family. We've been playing which diamond is which with an above 90% success rate. Seems to us that one diamond has a bit more scintillation. Both diamonds have similar specs so I'm a bit confused.
Diamond A
Table 56.9
CA 35
Pavillion 40.7
Depth 61.3
Crown height 15.1%

Diamond B
Table 55.8
CA 35
Pavillion 40.7
Depth 61.9
Crown height 15.5%

I spoke to WF who would work with me to find a new stone to match the one my family and I feel has that little extra oomph if I decide to go that route. For those of you who have studs, are they close to perfectly matched or can you almost always tell the difference?

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Are they both ACAs? Can we see how the ASETs compare?

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
If link isn't working, another link for the diamonds can be found under my topics, third one down (35,40.7 combination topic)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to ask the obvious but have you cleaned them both really well?

I can always tell the difference with all of my studs but I don't have ideal cut diamond studs, mostly colored stones and OECs. I can also always tell whether a ring is "up or down" according to the way I usually wear it and can't stand to wear it upside-down, even for like round solitaires. A lot of the time I can't even pinpoint what the difference is but there's definitely a difference.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. A WF representative suggested a good cleaning and I was hoping that would do the trick.

Q

Queenie60

I have one G and one H - can't tell the difference.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never looked at mine that closely. Can they tell which is which when you are wearing them?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the WF videos of both stones and I couldn't tell you which one is sparkling more...they both look amazing!

I thought I would take a guess at which one it was but I can even do that. I just cant see a difference. Ok, I guess the .92 is
flashing a little more??? Really dont know :loopy: .

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of 1ctw studs and I can't tell the difference between them.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
TyTy333-you would think the .92 would be flashing a bit more but it's the opposite. I asked the WF rep if the reason could be the cloud inclusion and "additional clouds not shown" but.she said no because the stone passed all the light performance tests. A mystery I don't understand. Yet it's not in my head because other people see it too. The .92 is still nice, but there is definitely a small but discernible difference.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that scintillation is something that can be measured only by the human eye! You will not see feature "scintillation" on the lab report...Some diamonds are more dull than other, and this does not depend of their color, clarity, fluorescence or even cut! I suggest you NOT to comfort with the pair, but let WF look for other stone that match the scintillation of the one that you like! I am very picky about the matching of diamonds for studs. If the pair does not match perfectly, I don't buy.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Those I asked could tell when I was wearing them. I'm not saying they would have noticed if I hadn't asked, but once brought to their attention, they noticed. Of course, I didn't identify which earring was which before I asked. Since the chances of guessing correctly are 50%, when the diamonds are out of my ears, I've had family and a few friends look at them a few times in a row. So, I'm well satisfied that they are seeing what I'm seeing. I'm still unsure about what I want to do. I will say that even the diamond with less "flash" is nicer than any other diamond I own.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JLW05, I understand that you like the not so scintillating diamond, but here we are talking about "matching"! You are still in the return period so now is the time to react and get the perfect matching pair of diamonds.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, EvaEvans. The thought of beginning the process all over is not one I relish and I have to decide if the difference won't bug the heck out of me in perpetuity.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife's pair of studs both have I/VVS2 stones in them that are both cut to Brian Gavin Signature proportions. I made sure that I was getting a good "matched" pair though I realised early on that given the inherent nature of diamonds, I was not going to have the exact same for each stone in terms of brilliance and fire so we could live with that. Turns out that both have that right combination of brilliance and fire that a super ideal cut stone would have so we're happy,

If one of them however was visibly less brilliant than the other, might be a good enough reason to do a return to find another stone that would match up better. In my position however, that raises difficulties given I'm not based in the USA.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are not perfectly matched but I don't feel it is noticeable as they are not being viewed side by side when they are worn. However, that's me! This is clearly bothering you a lot and often these things are difficult to get past. You want to enjoy wearing the diamonds so they have to be "mind clean" for you. I'd see what Whiteflash can offer in terms of different stones.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Last night I decided that nobody is really going to notice the slight difference in the diamonds when my head is between them unless asked to look with a very critical eye. So, later today or tomorrow, I am going to be happy to post a few photos of my new studs.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just out of curiosity is it A or B that has a bit more oomph

But I agree with your conclusions!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like one of mine is slightly better than the other, but it doesn't bother me because in truth, it is minimal and it's hard to match stones exactly.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Guess I was anticipating a perfect match! I just posted photos of my new treasures on SMTB.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the day when people noticed that my diamond studs were different was when I accidentally put a diamond in one ear and a peridot in the other. Funny thing was that even though I had been in front of a mirror putting on makeup and didn't notice myself!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results