shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors for the trade with great cuts?

kkopischke

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all, I've learned quite a bit off of PriseScope as well as places like GoG, WF, etc. I'm a Graduate Gemologist and it's interesting to see what more to diamonds there is out there. I could definitely find a great diamond on the internet if I wanted, but when I'm looking for something nice for one of my customers I feel lost. I've recently gotten in some princess and cushion cuts in from a large vendor and when I look at them under my ASET it almost looks like I'm using a loop, 95% or so white on the cushions and not much better on the princesses.

Does anyone know of any trade vendors that deal in high quality cuts (mostly for fancies, but rounds would be good too. Also, a company with memo availability is great too). I'm getting tired of getting in diamonds that I don't want to sell, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kyle,
This forum is a consumer discussion.
SO you're not going to be able to find true wholesale sources here.
Best of luck!!

kkopischke

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, I had seen some posts from people in the trade and hadn't had any luck in other areas so was hoping I'd get lucky!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone tell him where to go? I'm all for a gemologist looking to improve his offerings! :clap:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kyle,
Have you thought about attending a trade show such as the JCK Show in Las Vegas? You will be able to meet all kinds of sources there in one place.
Good luck!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great idea Bryan!
kkopischke, I might be wrong, but I thought one needed to have business trade credentials, as opposed to someone who is a Graduate Gemologist who is not "officially" in business.
But if you can go, that would really be the place.
Another thought- can you get your hands on a trade magazine- cutters advertise there.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The big shows are a good idea but allow me to suggest that you're asking for something of an oxymoron. People with super ideal cut and totally awesome stones, don't generally do memo. They don't have to. That's not their niche. Memo is a financial service, not so much a distribution service, and although some of your regular vendors may do both, most end up specializing either one way or the other.

Secondly, sources are a trade secret for jewelers and pretty much every other merchant. The jewelers aren't talking, and the sellers and move pretty much everything they can cut so what to they need YOU for (hence the reason for not offering memo). How they found them is connections. Friends of friends. Relatives of friends. Pay fast. Buy lots. Be the guy they're looking for and they'll find you.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil- some things you point out are undoubtedly true. For example, even if you get into a tradeshow forging a relationship with the best cutters is never easy. But the thought that they sell everything they cut, is simply incorrect. All of the major cutting houses hold massive inventories.
In the case of smaller, boutique cutters – and I agree some of these cut the best stones in the world – your statement would be much closer to the truth. But the vast majority of cutters can't sell everything they cut easily. Especially nowadays.

kkopischke

Rough_Rock
Trade
I've been to Tucson twice but that's mostly for for color. I suppose if I could find someone I can trust memo wouldn't be the biggest deal. I've looked in magazines and seen lots of advertisements for rounds, but not so much for great cuts on fancies. For fancies yes, but no mention of cuts. Guess I'll have to keep looking! Thanks all for your replies.

Kyle

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, a bit more hardcore advice. Get rated in Jewelers Board of Trade (JBT) if you're not already. It’s easy to get listed, and if you treat your vendors well you’ll end up with a rating fairly quickly. It’s valuable. Vendors will start to call you. Consider joining one of the big societies like American Gem Society and Jewelers of America. Network.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lots of cool ideas. About joining JBT- I believe someone would need to have business credentials like a Federal Tax ID or trade references.
I can check on that tomorrow

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1487526357|4130733 said:
Lots of cool ideas. About joining JBT- I believe someone would need to have business credentials like a Federal Tax ID or trade references.
I can check on that tomorrow
It does. And not just an FEIN and state credentials. It takes a history, banking, and trade references. It's tough to do without a commercial address too, although I think that's getting easier not harder with the popularity of pure internet sellers. It's a long slog that takes years, and there's no better time to start than immediately.

You are closer to the true wholesale market than I am but the inventory I see in abundance isn't the stones that are cut to optimize ASET type inspection. It's the bottom level of GIA-x, just above the VG boundary, and fancy's cut for weight retention. Cutting stones aimed at the ASET/IS image crowd is very much a specialty.

kkopischke

Rough_Rock
Trade
I work in a jewelry store so we're part of Jewelers of America and probably rated by the JBT. How can I find that one out? Also, we get so many calls by diamond vendors but none of them have every told me they specialize in cut.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Call JBT and ask ‘em. If you're not listed, they'll send you forms to fill out to start the process. If you're listed but not rated it's because they need more references, financials or something. They'll tell you what they want.

Working in a store is importantly different from owning one. If your bosses aren’t part of this mission, they need to be or you are destined to fail.

JA should be able to help find suppliers that are suitable for you. At least I would hope so. That’s what they’re for. I presume it's no surprise that ones who are beating down your door and keep on cold calling you are not generally the best of the best.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kkopischke|1487445155|4130534 said:
I've been to Tucson twice but that's mostly for for color. I suppose if I could find someone I can trust memo wouldn't be the biggest deal. I've looked in magazines and seen lots of advertisements for rounds, but not so much for great cuts on fancies. For fancies yes, but no mention of cuts. Guess I'll have to keep looking! Thanks all for your replies.

Kyle

Because fancies are complicated, GIA has never rolled out a cut grade system on any shape other than round. As a result, cutters generally aim to make a decent looking stone while retaining as much weight as possible. (There is an obvious economic incentive for doing so with no penalty imposed by a report showing deficits in cut quality).

AGS does have a cut grading system for princess, oval, emerald, and some cushions and proprietary cuts. But because of the relatively small volume of fancies and the strict requirements to make AGS Ideal, only princess cuts have gained enough traction to be readily available in the market.

In absence of a credible lab cut grading report, you will need to become your own expert. There are well cut fancies on the market, you just have to find them and assess them yourself. That makes serving your clients more challenging, but also gives you an opportunity to add value.

You're correct that the Tucson show is not a big diamond event. But the JCK Show in Las Vegas is.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with Rockdiamond that memo is very possible these days even on top stones but that all depends on the relationships you build with your sources and you have to find the right sources. Undoubtedly, you need luck, you need character, many things to make it happen and of course a nose, gut feeling that a company is worthy trying to work with. Initially, it is not likely that you will get memo, unless you have a top support system with other great contacts and top references. Once you get one excellent source with a great reputation, many doors open to you. Honestly, I do not think it is that hard but you need a lot working for you for it to happen and above all you need patience and tons of work, diligence, drive, motivation to go on and on and not give up.

I am also not sure about your credentials, of course first and foremost you need to have a business. Secondly, being a gemologist is really just the staring place, you have to learn a lot on your own and you can start doing that reading here. You need to have an eye and you need to further develop and improve it. Experience will come with time.

I know that when I started I read for 12 hours a days everything I could read. I never gave up. Source I found, I was lucky too perhaps with my business parnters, all the people I work with today, in every area of my business I was very selective. I did not get stones on memo initially, I do today and help others get them when I trust them and feel they are worthy to work with.

I also believe that going to a show is your best bet. Others do keep their sources secret mostly.

Ok I read that you are an employee, this can your situation much more difficult because you are not the decision maker unless they trust you fully with that and ready to invest in it. Learn to be versatile in addition to all of the above stated. I think you need a lot to succeed as new person in the trade today.

AndyMN

Rough_Rock
Trade
kkopischke|1487358538|4130185 said:
Hi all, I've learned quite a bit off of PriseScope as well as places like GoG, WF, etc. I'm a Graduate Gemologist and it's interesting to see what more to diamonds there is out there. I could definitely find a great diamond on the internet if I wanted, but when I'm looking for something nice for one of my customers I feel lost. I've recently gotten in some princess and cushion cuts in from a large vendor and when I look at them under my ASET it almost looks like I'm using a loop, 95% or so white on the cushions and not much better on the princesses.

Does anyone know of any trade vendors that deal in high quality cuts (mostly for fancies, but rounds would be good too. Also, a company with memo availability is great too). I'm getting tired of getting in diamonds that I don't want to sell, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

Kyle... Have you tried contacting Crafted By Infinity? We have had great success selling these stunning RB's and are very proud to present them to our customers every time, without fail. They are extremely consistent in the quality of product that they cut. In addition, they have a very ingenious system in which dealers share their inventory among one another. Not to mention they are fantastic people to work with! Good luck to you!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.augustvintage.com/

Reach out to Jonathan, I'm sure he may be willing to help you out but I can't say for certain since business is business and he's not in business alone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results