shape
carat
color
clarity

Mysterious Pendant - Diamond or Not?

mysterious_pendant

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I know it is very difficult (probably impossible) to tell by looking at photos, but I'm hoping there may be someone more educated on the topic than myself who can shed some light or point me in the right direction.

A bit of background - When going through a bunch of old broken gold jewellery (mostly pendants, brooches and hat pins) that belonged to my great grandmother, I found a solitaire pendant in a gold setting. I have taken it to a local jeweller who said that the test (I believe ultraviolet) was inconclusive and it needed further examination to determine what the stone was. She did confirm that the setting was gold but that was as far as I managed to get.

It is a clear, pear shaped, rose cut stone. There are definitely some visible inclusions within the stone on the thinner end of the pear shape (I'm sure it has a technical name). It measures 15mm x 9mm and is approx 8mm tall. There is some kind of engraving/hallmark on the gold, however it is worn and illegible.

It looks to me that the pendant/setting was definitely designed to show off the stone.

Based on the age of a lot of the jewellery that it was mixed with, I estimate it could be late 19th century or very early 20th century, but who knows...

It would be nice to find out what the stone is, but I understand that this may not be the best place for conclusive info, but any advice or guidance would be of great help.

I've attached some photos anyway :)

_39060.jpg

_39061.jpg

_39062.jpg

_39063.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Presidium Gem tester which uses refractive index can tell you very easily if it is a diamond or not. I would expect your jeweller to have one of these instruments. The only other stone that mimics diamond with this gem tester is a Moissanite (it's a man made diamond look a like) but these have double refraction and a jeweller can pick this up very easily with a loupe. An ultraviolet light only tells you if a stone has fluoresce or not which certainly isn't a identifying a diamond per se.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm seeing a light blue cast to the stone... which makes me think of either blue topaz or aquamarine. That said, you're absolutely right about photographs being a bad gemstone ID tool. I'd second a Bron's suggestion to take it to a jeweler for an assessment.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Find a jewelry store that does repairs in house. They should have a diamond tester there. If not head to a pawnshop and I ask them to test it for you. They have to have one as a course of business

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
Don't know if it's just the pics but it looks like it has a light green tinge to it. It's impossible to say for sure from the pictures but I don't think it's a diamond. Even if it's not a diamond, it's still a beautiful design and would still be valuable!

Landen

Rough_Rock
I think it is impossible to answer with confidence on your question only looking on the photo (taken into account that even local jeweler did not provide a necessary information)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results