shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian Necklace

AdamBell16

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I bought this item many years ago at a York antique shop. I am unsure what the markings are and was told it was old Victorian in age. Could someone tell me more about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

20170210_090600.jpg

20170210_090550.jpg

20170210_090541.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the stamp on the back read 90? or 90%? Neither of those are stamps that are commonly used in jewelry, particularly gold jewelry. Your best bet might be to start with a jeweler or pawn shop that can test for the type and purity of the metal used. I can add that by the Victorian era, most larger (more prosperous) European countries would have required any gold piece to include a stamp identifying where the piece was assayed, and a standardized gold purity stamp. I have read anecdotally of percent stamps being used in the middle and far East.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me the hallmark reads "9ct". This is a common gold assay for the UK or its colonies (like here in Australia). However most antique gold jewellery is also hallmarked with a city mark and a date letter so you can identify its date and origin. I'm not sure how the seller could have substantiated the statement that's it "Victorian era" without the benefit of hallmark that can date it. Nevertheless it is very pretty.

AdamBell16

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help. It was truly appreciated

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results