shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Big eternity RB band (33 or 40 point stones?)

Btblaney

Rough_Rock
Help! FI and I have been shopping for a single stone solitaire E ring for 10 months. No luck finding the right stone through any of our jewelers (looking for a 9mm x 7mm+ oval padpardascha sapphire in an almost colourless pink).

In the meantime, we are 100% set on a 3/4 eternity band for the wedding band (I'm obsessed! Doing 3/4 eternity because I want to be able to size it). We are trying to choose between 40 point and 33 point stones for our band. My finger is a size 8. The band is intended to be an every day ring to wear on its own for now, adding bands for milestones and likely a single stone solitaire ring when we find "the one". I'm concerned about comfort to wear every day, and want to be able to add a single stone when we eventually find the right one.

Stones will be RB, F/G colour, SI1 clarity.

What would you recommend? And is platinum or gold better for the setting?

Thank you!

Q

Queenie60

It's a personal preference. I prefer platinum over gold for rings. As for the size of the stones, I recommend you try both to see what suits your hands better. I agree that 3/4 eternity band would be more comfortable than a full eternity. Again, that's my personal preference. Good luck - hope you find what you're looking for. :wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btblaney,

Welcome to PS! :wavey:

I see you've only posted once so far, so I guess you haven't asked the folks in Colored Stones to help out with your e-ring center stone, right? They might have some suggestions for you.

Regarding the eternity ring, I know there are threads here in SMTB dealing with large eternity rings, but I can't find them at the moment for some reason. I thought there was one called 'Show me your big eternities', or something like that.

The best is to try on different-sized eternities yourself, as Queenie suggested, but that might not be possible, depending where you live.

I'm sure the helpful folks here on PS will stop by with great suggestions/comments on the above and on metal.

Have fun!

773dianeb

Rough_Rock
My 9 stone has .33 pt stones and it is very comfortable. Larger stones would probably be OK too. :dance: I wear this ring as my engagement ring, it is platinum. My wedding ring is a 2.5mm plain platinum band.

mjg

Rough_Rock
773dianeb|1485895279|4122460 said:
My 9 stone has .33 pt stones and it is very comfortable. Larger stones would probably be OK too. :dance: I wear this ring as my engagement ring, it is platinum. My wedding ring is a 2.5mm plain platinum band.

Pics!!!

Btblaney

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'm a long-time lurker on the diamonds page, so I think I have seen the thread you're referring to about large eternity bands. The challenge I have is that my finger size is large (8) and I live in a city where few jewelers carry sizes in stock, which makes it tough to get a sense of comfort.

Would love to hear from those who have 40point stones in a band that they wear every day re: comfort!

Thanks for the advice about checking the coloured stone forums! I clearly have more exploring to do!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Round stones? Mine are 37 points each--but are asschers. Full eternity.

cheers--Sharon

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Btblaney,

Best wishes in finding the pink center stone of your dreams!

I'm concerned about comfort to wear every day, and want to be able to add a single stone when we eventually find the right one.

Some people will purchase an inexpensive, fake 3/4th eternity band to see how it looks and check for comfort prior to purchasing the 'real thing.' That may be a good idea before pulling the trigger on the final purchase.

As for adding your solitaire ring, you can always add a spacer so the set looks good together.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Btblaney,

I'm concerned about comfort to wear every day, and want to be able to add a single stone when we eventually find the right one.

Some people will purchase an inexpensive, fake 3/4th eternity band to see how it looks and check for comfort prior to purchasing the 'real thing.' That may be a good idea before pulling the trigger on the final purchase.

As for adding your solitaire ring, you can always add a spacer for comfort and visual appeal.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Memoire five stone band with .40 stones - 2 ct. total weight. It is low set and curved just right so that the stones are all visible and don't poke my adjoining fingers. I wear a 5.5 size ring on that hand. In all honesty, if it were an eternity, I think it would be uncomfortable - at least for everyday wear. Think about the things that you do with the hand you are going to wear it on, i.e, mine on my right so I consider car doors, door knobs, shopping carts - things like that. If it is not your dominant hand it would probably be better but I would consider the size vs. practicality of the ring before making a decision. It would be wonderful if you could find such a thing ready made that you could try on before buying!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I love the look of large eternity bands, but find they're too uncomfortable for me. Have you tried them on and left them on for a longer period of time? If the answer is yes, then woooot woooot!! :appl:

Also, I'd do full eternity. Or at least leave the metal "gap" of just one stone. There's a thread somewhere on something like this. I seem to vaguely recall WF does them. Eternities tend to spin around a lot and with a 3/4, the metal would def show.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond_Hawk|1485975679|4122919 said:
Hi Btblaney,

As for adding your solitaire ring, you can always add a spacer for comfort and visual appeal.

Yes - this above! I did this before I purchased my eternity band, to make sure I wouldn't mind the ring in between my fingers. I wear 10 pointers, which are SO comfortable, but I've tried on larger rings, and I think you might find the 40 pointers a bit uncomfortable for daily wear. The 30 (something) pointers will be a VERY nice, large presence on your hand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An eternity band of that size will feel thick between your fingers, and the height of the band off the finger will not match the height of the engagement ring. Honestly, most people with .33-.40 stones have 5 stone bands, but with either 5 stone or partial eternity, they are most often worn alone and not with an engagement ring. The diamonds in the band probably would hit the prongs of the engagement ring and could damage them.

773dianeb

Rough_Rock
Here are some pics. [attachment=2]img_14819.jpg

img_14819.jpg

img_14820.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results