shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond advice down under

steve1987

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Firstly, such a helpful forum so thanks for all your input.

Just seeking some advice about a diamond, but a bit of background, I'm in Australia chasing a really well cut round brilliant, with a decent budget.

I'm lucky to have an online retailer with a shop nearby, and am wondering if the attached diamond is priced about right? Its a bit more than what I wanted to spend, so want to make sure the cut is top notch. Would be happy to drop to a G if I could find it. I've been in to look at the diamond and it is really nice, but priced at $19.5k AUD.

By comparison, if I bought from the US, after taxes and the poor aussie dollar conversion I think it would work out that I could get this for the same price (13.5k USD) - do you think the cut on the above would be comparable to "a cut above" diamond?:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765692.htm

_38914.jpg

screen_shot_2017-01-21_at_1.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA diamond scores 1.3 on the HCA so it's definitely worth a look- can you get an ASET for it? It has fluorescence, which I think might discount the price a bit on a D colour. And it's numbers are definitely outwith superideal range (these are listed on the Whiteflash website).

Personally, I'd go for an ACA, you know you're getting a fantastic stone! How about this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3738240.htm

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The table is a bit large at 59 and the crown angle is a bit low at 33.5.
Although the stone may not be qualified for a super ideal cut, it has a very good chance for AGS0.
Style-wise, I say somewhere between 60/60 and TIC. It is beautiful in its own right. As you can see, the ideal scope image is flawless with plenty of reds and no white leakage. However, because of the large table and low crown angle, dispersion (fire/sparkle) may suffer a bit.

The price seems reasonable and on par with PS vendors.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
steve1987|1484977086|4117350 said:
Hi guys,

Firstly, such a helpful forum so thanks for all your input.

Just seeking some advice about a diamond, but a bit of background, I'm in Australia chasing a really well cut round brilliant, with a decent budget.

I'm lucky to have an online retailer with a shop nearby, and am wondering if the attached diamond is priced about right? Its a bit more than what I wanted to spend, so want to make sure the cut is top notch. Would be happy to drop to a G if I could find it. I've been in to look at the diamond and it is really nice, but priced at $19.5k AUD.

By comparison, if I bought from the US, after taxes and the poor aussie dollar conversion I think it would work out that I could get this for the same price (13.5k USD) - do you think the cut on the above would be comparable to "a cut above" diamond?:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765692.htm

I think you're over on the other side of Australia from where I am steve1987 given that you said that they do online but have a physical presence as well.

The stone you chose has pretty good performance based on the Firetrace report it has. I personally think that he table and depth %-ges
are a little too close together for my liking; would prefer there be a little more separation between the two rather than something hat is close to a 60/60 stone. I also would prefer a balance between brilliance, fire and scintillation rather than have one aspect be lower than the other two. If you prefer this type of look for your diamond, by all means this is a good stone. But in terms of cut, in my books it doesn't quite stack up to an ACA or BGD Signature H&A (or a Crafted By Infinity or Victor Canera H&A) stone.

Just that I would rather take the ACA or a comparable stone from Brian Gavin Diamonds instead if I was in your shoes and I could find stones there that within the budget. The import process into Australia is pretty painless if that is a concern as to why you would prefer to go with the Aussie vendor.

steve1987

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that guys. OK I will steer clear of those.

So from what I can see the ACA or BG Black stones are marked up a bit - I'm hoping to grab a normal GIA stone that falls within similar specs, not sure if thats going to be possible...

Heres another one I am looking at ~1.4ct G VS2, a bit cheaper at 12k AUD not sure why, what do you guys think?

_38924.jpg

_38925.jpg

_38926.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has an Aussie site priced in Aussie dollars link;

http://www.bluenile.com/au/

Sometimes stones from James Allen, Whiteflash or Victor (if you buy a setting from him as well) can work out O.K too but you have to take into account both a 30% hit in the currency exchange and 10% for GST thats a 40% difference by the time you add it all up, sometimes they are still cheaper..... If you aren't too fussy there have been some nice looking Hearts and Arrows round brilliants listed for sale on Loupetroop or DiamondBistro that were excellent buys regardless of that.

I'm an Aussie too btw :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the angles/tables on this new stone you have posted. The measurements would fall into ACA range but to be ACA you
would have to have AGS000 (Ideal light return, Ideal polish and Ideal symmetry) and H&A.

steve1987

Rough_Rock
There are a few little white bits in between the arrows on the latest one, will that mean that the sparkle is diminished a bit?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Members of the trade here have advised that is due to strong back lighting and won't be a perceivable difference to the eye. I think it looks fine and has very nice specs.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Second option looks much nicer to me. Would get the vendor to check for it being eye clean from say 24-30cm viewing distance.

steve1987

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, will let you know how it goes this week

Shoutout to Wade at the Australian Diamond Network for all his help and advice - hit him up if your in Oz and need anything, posts under adn

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That diamond is well priced at aus$12k 1.4GVS2. Great catch and congratulations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results