shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Upgrade Advice Please

Trudii

Rough_Rock
In late 2013 I bought a lovely pair of diamond studs - 0.9 carat each. I wanted 1 carat but couldn't justify it at the time.

I have been saving for a while and am ready to upgrade.

They've given me two options:
1.01 / 1.02 both are H SI2 GIA EX Cut, EX Polish, EX Symmetry (one has faint fluorescence, the other none)
Or
1.24 AGS I SI2 Ideal Cut, Ideal Polish, Ideal Symmetry / 1.22 GIA I SI1 EX Cut, EX Polish, EX Symmetry

The 1.0 pair seem to be overall nicer diamonds, but I'm concerned I won't notice a considerable difference going from 6.17 mm to 6.5 mm. This does not use up the entire budget I had put aside, but I could definitely find a way to spend that other money. :angel:

The 1.2 pair are bigger coming in at almost 7 mm, so I think I'd readily notice the difference. I've read that AGS generally grades color lower, so that I might be closer to a J. And honestly, I is as low as I really want to go. Plus the cost is slightly over what I put aside, but not enough to worry about.

I'm on my mobile, so links are hard right now, plus GIA seems to be down for maintenance.

So, any suggestions how to decide between the two options?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they saying all of the stones are 100% eyeclean? I'd go with the larger pair while prices are relatively low if the color of the two stones match and they are high to mid I color and not low. I would think they could find you another GIA I if not. I can't see anything nicer about the smaller pair other than H color, and I think the size of the I color pair would more than make up for the one color grade difference.

I will add, though, that normally I wouldn't choose based on that amount of information. I'd like to know more about the measurements and inclusions, as well as see magnified images of the stones, at minimum.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1484855920|4116612 said:
Are they saying all of the stones are 100% eyeclean? I'd go with the larger pair while prices are relatively low if the color of the two stones match and they are high to mid I color and not low. I would think they could find you another GIA I if not. I can't see anything nicer about the smaller pair other than H color, and I think the size of the I color pair would more than make up for the one color grade difference.

I will add, though, that normally I wouldn't choose based on that amount of information. I'd like to know more about the measurements and inclusions, as well as see magnified images of the stones, at minimum.

Here are the links to the two sets of diamonds:

1.0 Set
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.02-platinum_select_round-EX-GIA-H-SI2-diamond-stock-14999-cert-1172057675
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.01-platinum_select_round-EX-GIA-H-SI2-diamond-stock-14998-cert-2186871523

1.2 Set
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.22-platinum_select_round-EX-GIA-I-SI1-diamond-stock-15216-cert-723673989
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.24-ascendancy_heart_arrows-I-AGS-I-SI2-diamond-stock-15748-cert-104070932005

I'll ask about the color and eye clean. I'm not a great judge just on the picture / video.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
I heard back, they say that both the AGS and GIA are eye clean and face up the same color. So I guess the question is if the imperfections of the one are going to be mind clean or not.

Anyone who is reading this have thoughts about the 1.2s? Are they a good choice, especially for earrings?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are all eye clean, I would get the bigger ones. You will notice the size more flared to your 0.9s. Mind clean is just that. They're on your ears and they're eye clean.

You won't see a thing, except for big, bright, sparkly goodness!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but I do not consider the I color pair a good match. The Ascendancy stone is great. But the stones have tables of 55 and 60 which do not go together, in my opinion. I usually would not consider more than two percentage points difference in tables and prefer no more than 1 as I like the stones to be very well matched.

I think the H pair is a much better match. The tables and diameters are close. it just goes to show how important images and measurements are in selecting pairs!

Trudii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1485020801|4117533 said:
I am sorry but I do not consider the I color pair a good match. The Ascendancy stone is great. But the stones have tables of 55 and 60 which do not go together, in my opinion. I usually would not consider more than two percentage points difference in tables and prefer no more than 1 as I like the stones to be very well matched.

I think the H pair is a much better match. The tables and diameters are close. it just goes to show how important images and measurements are in selecting pairs!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm so very out of my depth and always feel like I'm making the wrong decision on these types of things.

I'll be honest, it is disappointing though. I've had in my head for 3 years that I'd save enough and get the 2.0 total weight and that would be a nice upgrade. I guess I didn't do the math well enough at the time, because I saved more than I needed to, but everything I read says that the difference between 0.9 each and 1.0 each will not be discernible. I feel silly I went to a local jewelry store and tried a 2.42 pair they had (no certs and yellow!) and that difference in size was definitely meaningful. GOG's upgrade policy is to in house diamonds - I don't have any idea how quickly that would change, but I guess I can try back later, although I feel bad wasting their time with so many questions.

Sincerely, thank you for the feedback.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you upgrade from .9ct to 1.01/1.02, will you see much larger diamonds?
Therefore, I wonder if the 1.24 ct each is the best route to really see larger size with your eyes.
Good luck.

Trudii

Rough_Rock
So I have complete stats on both diamonds now.

59.8% Depth
60% Table
33 Crown Angle
41 Pavilion Angle
6.93 mm x 6.97 mm x 4.16 mm
I Color
SI1 Clarity
GIA Ex cut
1.4 HCA
Eye clean

61.6% Depth
54.9% Table
34.2 Crown Angle
40.8 Pavilion Angle
6.94 mm x 6.92 mm x 4.27 mm
I Color (confirmed looks like GIA I above)
SI2 Clarity
AGS Ideal cut
1.2 HCA
Eye clean

From having all of the dimensions, I can understand the concern about the differences now.

If I were going to ask them to keep an eye out for a better match, would I be better off with the 1.22 or the 1.24? They both seem nice enough on their own. The 1.22 seems cleaner in pictures but if they're both eye clean I guess it doesn't matter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results