shape
carat
color
clarity

Anxiety Over 2pt Halo

Mrsdweitz

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have been pouring over this site for the last week and a half and have decided to just join the forum so I can get your thoughts about my engagement ring re-set. I have a 2 carat round brilliant cathedral solitaire with 5pt diamonds on the band. My wedding band are 20 pointers. I decided to reset my diamond in a halo setting after 5 years for the following reasons: (1) I prefer a chunkier look, (2) my diamond was constantly getting whacked in the high setting and I am afraid I am going to damage the diamond one day, and (3) I never liked how my wedding band fit right up against my engagement ring - I like a gap between the two. I went to my trusted jeweler and told him I wanted a cushion halo with a lower setting that creates space between my engagement ring and wedding band. We tried on some samples but he custom makes everything so I really couldn't get a sense of what my ring would look like because he didn't have any samples that fit my stone (some were for larger, smaller and other shaped stones). I definitely do NOT want a delicate halo but was under the impression that most halos were 1pts to 1.5 pts. When he said "he knows what I like" (in all fairness I believe he does and I trust him) and told me the design contemplates 2 pointers, I got scared. While I like chunky, I don't want my diamond to look small because of everything around it. I told him that I want the halo to compliment my stone and he assured me that it will. All I have to compare is the design he sent me. The band will have 5 pointers like my old ring. The halo and the band will both be shared prong. Here is the photo keeping in mind that the raised edges will be shaved away after the diamonds are set and I am hoping the band isn't like a coin cut. It will not have an edged or beaded look. What do you think? Does anyone have any examples for what a 2 carat stone with 2pt halos look like?

_38846.jpg

_38847.jpg

_38848.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that most people here favor more delicate halos so that it doesn't overpower the center stone.

Examples (cushion halos but can be made for a round):

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-petal-profile

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/split-band-halo-solitaire

I have to be honest since you are asking. That design just doesn't look as elegant from the side view if you compare to Victor's. The shank looks way too thick and I don't think it looks comfortable to wear. I also like a little gap, but the way he is making it, I am not sure you can wear a wedding band with it at all. It just isn't done right. I would really be cautious and take your time before going forward. But obviously, if it is really what you love, then go for it!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's a beefy looking design, and if you plan to wear your wedding band with this ring it's not going to sit well. The head's structure is going to push against it and leave a good sized gap.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
I really think it depends on which bench is doing the ring. Here is mine made with 2 pointers halo and it is still a delicate fine halo that does not overpower the center stone. Mark designed my ring from brilliantly engaged.

20150406_205142-1_resized_resized.jpg

20150406_205919-1-1_resized_0.jpg

20150405_121558_resized.jpg

Mrsdweitz

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: I got my ring and I LOVE it! I still think it looks delicate even with the 2pt halo and the gap is the perfect size to me!

Thanks for everyone's input! img_5371_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the 2 pointers are not too big! Enjoy your beautiful ring! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous ring and stack!!!!

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
It looks lovely