shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel For Engagement Ring

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
I spent most of yesterday reading through threads and got a lot of great information, so I wanted to thank everyone first for that! My boyfriend said that there's no point in him picking out an engagement ring on his own because of how picky I am, so I've been pretty involved with the process. After a lot of research, I think I want to go with a grey spinel (slate or gunmetal). I'd prefer one in a radiant or cushion cut that's around 10x8 or 11x9 (not sure what that ct weight would be)...BUT have no idea where to find one. I looked at Gemcal and they're either to big or to small, and didn't have much luck finding one anywhere else. Is there some secret place that I could find one that isn't showing up in a google search? Is this something that might be at a gem show (we have one coming up in our area next month)?

My plan is to have it set with a halo (preferably with small diamonds in the basket of the setting and the band, I don't like the look of the bigger diamonds). I'm also toying with rose gold for the setting and white gold for the band, but have no idea how that would look. Any thoughts?

Last, will the spinel hold up to everyday wear? I just want to make sure that it's not a stone I'll have to replace in a few years.

Thanks so much for all your help!

I think spinel is equal to sapphire in durability. Somebody said they were only recently distinguished from sapphire, recently as in 'modern times' so they must have been identically hard?

S

SparkliesLuver

That's a huge spinel! :) I hope your budget is healthy.

Elle, of The Gemstone Project, loves gray spinels, so I'd highly suggest checking out her Etsy store and contacting her to see what else she has/could source. Two of note, although the large one is a round:

Large round: https://www.etsy.com/listing/386668636/3-carat-silver-gray-oec-precision-cut?ref=shop_home_active_46
Cushion: https://www.etsy.com/listing/486891455/197ct-medium-dark-gray-spinel-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_29

How hard are you on your jewelry/hands? Will you take the ring(s) off at night/when working around the house/etc?

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
I don't *think* I'm overly hard on my rings...I won't wear it to sleep, while working out, or while doing things around the house (other than rinsing off dishes to throw in the dishwasher) and I plan on taking it off when washing my hands. I was married before and wasn't hard on the ring, but after a few years the back of the band did show a little wear (it was platinum). This is part of the reason I want the band to come up to the setting, not have the setting sit up on the band. (I attached pictures of what I'm thinking...the diamonds in the basket of the morganite ring, but the band meeting the setting like the aquamarine ring, because I'm sure I'm not describing it using the right terminology.

Define healthy budget...are we talking $10k for the stone & setting? Or less? (I honestly have no idea because there were so few stones to look at to figure out about how much they cost and I know nothing about settings and their cost.)

I do LOVE this stone: http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/gray-fancy-spinel-6-81-cts-2228,, I'm just a bit worried that 12x10 might be a touch large for everyday wear. Is this about what I should expect to pay for a stone the size I want?

What key words should I be looking for when finding a stone? Loupe clean? Are there words to describe the cut to get the greatest amount of sparkle from the stone?

Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions!

basketdiamond.jpg

_38910.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ladybug_va|1484950664|4117108 said:
I do LOVE this stone: http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/gray-fancy-spinel-6-81-cts-2228,,, I'm just a bit worried that 12x10 might be a touch large for everyday wear. Is this about what I should expect to pay for a stone the size I want?

I see a bow tie in that stone, but it has a better cut than most of the gray spinel cushions at Gemcal. For pricing, I would shop around, and it will become clear if the price is competitive. I'm not familiar with the grey spinel market (but am familiar with red spinels). In general, I would ask how the spinel appears in different lighting conditions. Darker spinels of any color (grey, red, blue, etc) sometimes "black out" or become very dark in some lighting conditions, which is not attractive.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IF you were comfortable buying on the private market, this one is owned by a PSer and for sale (at a nice price, IMO). I thought about snagging it to match my grey spinel studs, but I have other bling projects that are priority. It's a nice size that won't be too big or too small, especially with a halo. I am not a cut guru, so someone else would have to weigh in on it compared to others.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/precision-cut-gray-w-slash-slight-blue-slash-violet-spinel-1-dot-57-ct-cushion-by-peter-t

I will share that I have purchased from Elle (the gemstone project) and she is lovely and fair to deal with. :wavey:

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
I LOVE that stone...but really want something bigger unfortunately. Other than that it's perfect! Thank you!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Ladybug_va|1484950664|4117108 said:
I don't *think* I'm overly hard on my rings...I won't wear it to sleep, while working out, or while doing things around the house (other than rinsing off dishes to throw in the dishwasher) and I plan on taking it off when washing my hands. I was married before and wasn't hard on the ring, but after a few years the back of the band did show a little wear (it was platinum). This is part of the reason I want the band to come up to the setting, not have the setting sit up on the band. (I attached pictures of what I'm thinking...the diamonds in the basket of the morganite ring, but the band meeting the setting like the aquamarine ring, because I'm sure I'm not describing it using the right terminology.

Define healthy budget...are we talking $10k for the stone & setting? Or less? (I honestly have no idea because there were so few stones to look at to figure out about how much they cost and I know nothing about settings and their cost.)

I do LOVE this stone: http://gemcal.com/gemstones/spinel/fancy-spinel/fifty-shades-of-gray/gray-fancy-spinel-6-81-cts-2228,,, I'm just a bit worried that 12x10 might be a touch large for everyday wear. Is this about what I should expect to pay for a stone the size I want?

What key words should I be looking for when finding a stone? Loupe clean? Are there words to describe the cut to get the greatest amount of sparkle from the stone?

Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions!

Does it have to be grey spinel? Or other colours might do? Grey isn't a very sought after color in spinel hence doesn't cost a lot. I'm sure you will find a 3-4 carat good cut grey spinel under $1k. And I'm talking about really eye clean clarity. $10k is so much more that you can even consider a same size blue sapphire.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I can't see the link anymore so I can't comment on that stone. My so many years experience has taught me to never think you can't wear a big stone. I collect all sizes, but now I only wear big ones. The small ones are ok.just can't make me excited anymore. Never be afraid to think big :lol:

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
Originally I was looking for a peach sapphire ($$$$ to get one as big as I want, & then we've got the setting to pay for - & I really want something big-ish but just don't see the point in spending so much $ on a ring - especially since we want to re-do our kitchen!), but stumbled upon a grey moissanite and loved the look, but they're not readily available in the cut in size I want anymore...so then I was onto trying to find a grey sparkly stone and it seems like the spinel meets the mark there. Unless there are other grey sparky stones I should be looking for? If not, is it worth reaching out to Master Cut or Barry or Jeff Davies to see if what I want is even a realistic possibility in the next couple of months? After further research, it looks like radiant cut is going to get us the most sparkle out of the stone, but I don't see many cut like that, so I'm not even sure if THAT is a realistic possibility. Thanks so much!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this isn't too purple I'd buy this. This type of stone is perfectly sparkly. He has it listed at 9500 (pick) OBO. I'd probably offer 6-7k. I can't tell what your budget is tho. As for cut, a well cut cushion will be very sparkly you don't have to limit yourself to radiants. Plus in my opinion a more rounded cut lends itself better to halos.
https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/cushion-purple-spinel-ring-detail

Take a look at the video on the hand

Prima gems had some large greyish purple stones. They were running about 1500-2000 around the 3 CT range when I asked them back in November. And a delicate halo in platinum can easily run 3-4 k when done well.

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
That would be to violet for me, I was hoping to find something closer to this color: https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/precision-cut-gray-w-slash-slight-blue-slash-violet-spinel-1-dot-57-ct-cushion-by-peter-t (this would be perfect if it were larger).

As for budget...I'd like to stay around $6k, I know that my boyfriend is ok with spending more, so it will depend on how much the "perfect" stone is.

Thank you for the link though! The more I see the better I can articulate exactly what I want. :)

Ladybug_va

Rough_Rock
That's not bad price-wise at all. Thank you! I at least found a pic of what I want, unfortunately it's $14k. Which seems crazy overpriced for a spinel (and it's not the more delicate band/diamonds that I want. I did find this if the hunt for grey serves to not be fruitful...if I go back to the original pink-ish stone plan I had. https://www.etsy.com/listing/116208041/cushion-shape-spinel-over-4cts-sapphire

img_7124.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked out Doug Menadue's website King Stone Gems? He has some lovely grey spinels listed, though I'm not sure any of them are as large as your preference. Possibly it may be worthwhile to email Doug to see if he has anything meeting your prereqs that haven't been added yet to the website. https://www.kingstonegems.com/search/spinel/?type=product&currency=USD

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have bought some beautiful grey spinels from Jeff Davies in the past. Reach out to him and see what he can do. Very reasonably priced too. Good luck.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ladybug_va said:

I do LOVE this stone. I'm just a bit worried that 12x10 might be a touch large for everyday wear. Is this about what I should expect to pay for a stone the size I want?

That was helpful. You should be alright with a spinel if you remove it while doing anything with your hands. As for the metal choice, that's a different ballgame. ;-) haha What size is your finger? Do you currently/often wear large rings? Just trying to get a feel for what's driving the large stone size. :)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
BlingObsession said:
I have bought some beautiful grey spinels from Jeff Davies in the past. Reach out to him and see what he can do. Very reasonably priced too. Good luck.

Second this. Jeff Davis has beautifully cut grey spinels. And very affordable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results