carat
color
clarity

What should I do?

sapphirelover1

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

What should we do?

December 2015, We purchased a 2 ctw sapphire ring from a reputable online jewelry reseller. Before we bought the ring we asked if the sapphire was a natural sapphire. She told us that it was. We bought it and took the sapphire out of that ring to put in my custom wedding ring, for my wedding in March 2016.

February 2016 after my custom ring was finished by a reputable local jeweler and returned from being appraised we found out the sapphire we had bought was synthetic. We immediately sent my custom wedding ring to the reputable online jewelry reseller, so that I could get a natural sapphire to replace the synthetic. Her appraiser disagreed with our appraiser and ultimately we ended up sending it to AGL for testing to resolve the dispute.

April 2016 AGL verify that it was a synthetic and returned the ring to the jewelry reseller.

We understand that everyone makes mistakes, especially with how good synthetic sapphires have become today. And we believe the jewelry reseller when she says she didn't know it was a synthetic sapphire. So we're understanding on that front.

To her credit when she found it was synthetic she did offer to refund us our purchase price or to find us a replacement natural/mined sapphire.

We asked her to find us a replacement natural/mined sapphire. And because of the concerns about differing appraisers we asked that the replacement stone be certified by AGL.

But when you as a seller and give the option to replace the synthetic sapphire with a natural/mined sapphire and the buyers take you up on it, because they just want what they were promised in the beginning. You'd think the seller would be quickly working to resolve it.

From April 2016 through October 2016 we kept getting promises that the jewelry reseller is going to replace the synthetic sapphire with a natural one. But this hasn't happened.

Around July 2016 we asked our local jeweler to email her prices for a replacement natural/mined sapphire.

In October 2016 in utter frustration we asked our local jeweler and we researched other jewelers online and found out what it would cost us to replace the synthetic sapphire with a natural/mined sapphire. When we told her the retail prices that we would have to pay, she stated that she didn't want to pay the retail prices that we found for a replacement natural/mined sapphire and that she has wholesale sources. In October 2016 she offered us a refund of our purchase price, and for us to have our ring back until she finds a replacement sapphire.

In November 2016 We've found through our research that it would take about a week for a wholesaler to find a replacement sapphire that met the specs of the synthetic sapphire.

In December 2016 she stated again that she was "committed to find a replacement stone for you, but I am unable to purchase the stone from your source as those appear to be retail pricing and I have wholesale sources."

After that reply in December 2016 where she also said she was still committed to finding us a stone and had found one she thought might be a match. I asked her for images of the stone she thought might be a match. And I got no reply from her.

It's now January 2017, we've missed having the ring at our wedding in March 2016 and at our out-of-state family's wedding reception in August 2016.

Some of our friends have suggested small claims court, but would that even do any good? I mean if she's not willing to pay the $5,000-$7,000 that we found as the span of retail priced natural/mined sapphires that would meet the specs of the synthetic sapphire, then we doubt she'd pay whatever a small claims court would award us.

Help us figure out what to do, Please.

Thanks,
Sapphirelover1

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh God what a nightmare! I am so sorry you've had to endure this! Is there any way to name the vendor
... I know I'd absolutely want to steer clear.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the refund offered and have your ring returned to you immediately.

Then start a new search and seek your stone elsewhere. When you're ready to look again, I highly recommend you start a new thread with your budget and specific stone prereqs/specs and request the assistance of PSers in finding some options for you.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 to what marymm said.

Falco

Rough_Rock
First of all, how annoying and disappointing for you. :angryfire:

How large is the difference in price between what you paid for the synthetic sapphire, and the retail cost of $5000 to $7000 for a replacement natural sapphire? If you paid a fair price for a synthetic sapphire (even if you believed it to be natural), it may be a bit much to expect her to pay the difference for a natural sapphire?

Sure, she may need to be taught a lesson in representation, and it is not acceptable to sell a sapphire as natural when it is synthetic, but price should always be a guide. If it is too good to be true etc...

Why would you trust her to source you a satisfactory sapphire? Take the refund and go elsewhere.

I am not a lawyer, but from my extensive distance education via Judge Judy, I think a full refund is the most you can expect, not a replacement sapphire. However, the cost of the custom ring is another thing. Again, I don't know if the original vendor could be held responsible for what you do with the ring after purchase, however unfair that may be.

Goodluck.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the refund and getting your custom ring returned.

All the best for a quick and happy solution.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I was in your shoes I would have them send the custom ring to you immediately along with the full refund for your original purchase. And no way would I wait on a replacement from that vendor!
There are a lot of sharp eye's here if you want to post what you are looking for you will have a lot of help!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry you've had this horrible experience tied to what should be a wonderful occasion. If it was me I'd want to move on and not deal with the vendor any more as soon as possible.

You mention 5-7K for a 2ct sapphire. That strikes me as rather high for something like a heat-only stone from many PS vendors. Even at more like a 3K budget you can probably find many options. At 7k and heated I'd expect something like a "omg I need to change my pants" stone.

I don't mean to dismiss what you've seen or have been quoted, as I really dont know the whole situation. I just mentioned it based on priced I've seen here.

lexilex

Rough_Rock
Trade
So sorry this had to happen.

That's why I think everyone should buy sapphires which are traceable from mine to market. Mined ethically to make sure you aren't unknowingly exploiting children digging in holes and tunnels. Also , this protects you from synthetic sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1484518784|4115568 said:
I would take the refund offered and have your ring returned to you immediately.

Then start a new search and seek your stone elsewhere. When you're ready to look again, I highly recommend you start a new thread with your budget and specific stone prereqs/specs and request the assistance of PSers in finding some options for you.

And end your headaches and runarounds once and for all.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. Your time is precious too.

I have been in a similar situation with my wine collection a decade ago, and I totally regret now that I wasted soooo much time and energy on 'fighting it through' and not getting anywhere in then end. It is really not worth our precious time on earth. If collecting something for fun becomes a headache, then what is it all good for?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Any final resolution?

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock
Try to get the refund from the vendor, and spend the money elsewhere. If the vendor will not refund your money, threaten to file a claim in small claims court (you have to check the limit for small claims court in your area to see how much of the purchase price could be covered). If the vendor still does not respond, file a claim. If the vendor does not respond to the claim, a judgment will be entered against them. Hopefully you will not have to take it that far, and the threat of litigation will get the vendor's attention.

sapphirelover1

Rough_Rock
Update

Hello Everyone,

The latest is that we've got legal counsel working with us and the seller to give us a resolution.

Thank you all for your advice. Feel free to PM me.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we can't PM you on here.

And I totally know what it feels like to have emails unanswered by a vendor. It's the worst! Especially if it happens repeatedly.

Sorry you're going through this. I hope you get a refund ASAP!

Let us know how it goes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results