shape
carat
color
clarity

Terrified Oval buyer...input needed

buzzsaw76

Rough_Rock
Buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend soon, and I want to go with an oval shape, but I've over-researched it I think. There seem to be more "warnings" about bad ovals (the dreaded bowtie, etc) than any other shape, and since I'm buying online, I need all the help I can get!

From what I've read...
- I want H color or better. Going to be a yellow gold setting
- VS1 or better on clarity...that inclusions can really stand out more on this type of stone
- I'd like L/W ratio of probably 1.4-ish...I'd like it to elongate her fingers
- No florescence (?)
- On price, probably 9-12k on the stone alone.
- Carat I'm least concerned about...I think I can get a nice size stone for that price with those characteristics.

With all of that in mind...found this one on JA.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2414241

What's the good/bad/ugly of that stone? What am I not thinking about? Any advice is appreciated, and feel free to tell me any/all of my thinking is off!

Edit: If it's helpful...this is the setting I'm leaning toward: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/18k-yellow-gold-vintage-fluted-pear-engagement-ring-item-9219

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, my first question has to be, has she indicated that oval is her preference or favorite shape? And has she asked for yellow gold?

buzzsaw76

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1484925201|4116881 said:
Okay, my first question has to be, has she indicated that oval is her preference or favorite shape? And has she asked for yellow gold?

No to both. She wants to be surprised and has told me to get her 17-year-old daughter to help!

I'm leaning toward yellow gold because every piece if jewelry I've ever seen her wear is gold. I'm definitely not dead set on the oval, but leaning that way. I want something elegant, vintage-looking, and unique-looking. I think an elongated shape would look good on her fingers.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
buzzsaw76|1484926389|4116886 said:

No to both. She wants to be surprised and has told me to get her 17-year-old daughter to help!

I'm leaning toward yellow gold because every piece if jewelry I've ever seen her wear is gold. I'm definitely not dead set on the oval, but leaning that way. I want something elegant, vintage-looking, and unique-looking. I think an elongated shape would look good on her fingers.

I think yellow gold is good if that is what she normally wears. I wouldn't call that setting Vintage though. I actually really don't care for it, the basket the pears are sitting in is just not flattering IMO. There are better options for a vintage style. Is vintage her typical style? Do you know her ring size? Would you be open to a vintage/pre-loved ring? And ask her daughter if she has a pinterest page that you could look through, that is really helpful to a soon to be fiance in picking out a ring blind.

for something unique, i LOVE this ring, it's an antique marquise set east/west so not elongating like you mentioned but absolutely beautiful. (Obviously i'm partial to east/west settings) ;-)

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/...s2-in-sebastien-barier-style-b04#.WII0e1MrKpo

buzzsaw76

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1484929209|4116901 said:
buzzsaw76|1484926389|4116886 said:

I think yellow gold is good if that is what she normally wears. I wouldn't call that setting Vintage though. I actually really don't care for it, the basket the pears are sitting in is just not flattering IMO. There are better options for a vintage style. Is vintage her typical style? Do you know her ring size? Would you be open to a vintage/pre-loved ring? And ask her daughter if she has a pinterest page that you could look through, that is really helpful to a soon to be fiance in picking out a ring blind.

for something unique, i LOVE this ring, it's an antique marquise set east/west so not elongating like you mentioned but absolutely beautiful. (Obviously i'm partial to east/west settings) ;-)

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/...s2-in-sebastien-barier-style-b04#.WII0e1MrKpo

That is a beautiful ring! But yeah, the elongation is pretty important to me. When I say "vintage"...I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm kind of an idiot about this stuff, hence me coming here! I've got very little to go on re: preference...no pinterest page or anything. And I do want to buy something new, not pre-loved.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
buzzsaw76 said:
That is a beautiful ring! But yeah, the elongation is pretty important to me. When I say "vintage"...I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm kind of an idiot about this stuff, hence me coming here! I've got very little to go on re: preference...no pinterest page or anything. And I do want to buy something new, not pre-loved.

ok, then it would be good to know a little bit about her.

What kind of jewelry does she currently wear? Big and chunky? Dainty and simple? Flashy? designer? Describe her clothing style (simple/classic/elegant/relaxed/trendy), does she wear designer clothing or carry designer purses? Whatever info you can impart about her will help in picking a specific cut of stone as well as a setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold is fine if that is what she wears most. Good planning on that! That's a modern oval diamond and they don't have as good light performance as rounds, for example. But I do think an oval works well with side pears.

buzzsaw76

Rough_Rock
farrahlyn|1484935159|4116945 said:
buzzsaw76 said:

ok, then it would be good to know a little bit about her.

What kind of jewelry does she currently wear? Big and chunky? Dainty and simple? Flashy? designer? Describe her clothing style (simple/classic/elegant/relaxed/trendy), does she wear designer clothing or carry designer purses? Whatever info you can impart about her will help in picking a specific cut of stone as well as a setting.

I'd say elegant/classic, not flashy, not chunky jewelry. Some designer stuff. She loves antique/vintage looking things.

diamondseeker2006|1484936677|4116959 said:
Yellow gold is fine if that is what she wears most. Good planning on that! That's a modern oval diamond and they don't have as good light performance as rounds, for example. But I do think an oval works well with side pears.

Thanks! Any thoughts on the specific diamond I posted earlier? That's where I'm most stuck if I go the oval route...so many to choose from.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i'll preface this with: i am no expert, i am just a lurker here. But i think you could do better than that particular diamond. you want to look for flashes not just in the middle but from end to end and i'm seeing mostly in the middle on this one.

For setting, not sure of your budget but what about something like these? Classy, elegant, vintage but not overstated. probably my favorite N/S setting for a marquise or oval.

CVB
http://www.cvbinspireddesign.com/cvb-acacia-solitaire

David Klass did this setting (he doesnt have a website, just a facebook page but is highly recommended here and very reasonable)

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/VintageInspired-and-Contempora/315ct-Antique-Marquise-Cut/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Buzz,

That 1.51 H that you found is, well, ok but not great. What you should try to look for is a large area of well defined facets through
the center of the stone and more that come into focus as the stone turns. The issue with the 1.51 is that no more facets come into
focus as the stone turns.

Here are a few that I think have a little nicer faceting pattern. Slowly turn them by hand and see if more facets come into focus
that head down towards the rounded ends of the stone.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2352653 this stone has a wider area of
nice facets looking straight on and nice end facets.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.53-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2425362 you can see the facets that
come into focus as you turn this one
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2371871 This one is like the first one
I posted.

The nice thing about the one you posted is that it is big for its size. The ones I posted have a little smaller ratio than what you are
looking for but I wasnt really finding anything nice in a 1.4 ratio.

Let me look as some other vendors to see what else is out there.

Edit...looked around and didnt find much.

I'm not a big fan of that setting with the pears...I just like a solitaire with pave like this one...
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-yellow-gold-petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-49647

I really think you should contact Yekutiel at ID Jewelry and tell him what you are looking for. He has helped quite a few people
lately find nice ovals.
http://idjewelry.com/

If you look at ID Jewelry on Facebook and go under videos you can see some of the oval rings they have put together lately.
I love the ring IDJ-3073...so pretty!

buzzsaw76

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice! One more question...if I did want to go with sidestones and pave...any thoughts on a nice shape sidestone to compliment and oval diamond, aside from pear?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buzzsaw76|1485022294|4117556 said:
Thanks everyone for the advice! One more question...if I did want to go with sidestones and pave...any thoughts on a nice shape sidestone to compliment and oval diamond, aside from pear?

Side pears is my very favorite choice for sides for an oval. Ignore that the center stone in this ring is red, but it is a lovely example of an oval with pear sides. The heads/prongs for the stones should be platinum for diamonds, and then the shank made of yellow gold.

agbfredspinel2.jpg

agbfredspinel1.jpg

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi buzzsaw76,

One more question...if I did want to go with sidestones and pave...any thoughts on a nice shape sidestone to compliment and oval diamond, aside from pear?"

If you're not particularly fond of pear side stones, have you considered a split shank pave? For the impressive size of stone you're looking for, a simple pave shank may be a good idea. Split shank nicely balances the elongated shape of the oval.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results