shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm back and getting a carat! Small for here,but help needed

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Hi all, me again. So I decided to get my girlfriend a diamond that I won't feel needs to be upgraded so quickly. In my mind I needed to get her at least a carat. It's a mind thing I guess. I found a little extra money and I want to do this for her. I plan to upgrade her to a 1.3/1.4 eventually but it's not in the cards right now. Anyway, Whiteflash has been great. They pulled two new diamonds for me and I need your help. One is an expert selection and one is an ACA. Both are H color VS2s. ACA is only $400 more than the other.

Expert Selection:
H VS2 1.00ct
6.42x6.46x3.91 mm
Depth 60.6%
Table 58%
34.5/40.6 ca/pa

ACA:
H VS2 1.025ct
6.56-6.59x3.96
Depth 60.3%
Table 57.3%
34.2/40.9 ca/pa

The diamond expert said there's not really a discernible difference in performance but the 1.025 is slightly bigger. What to do? Thanks everyone

Attached pictures of the expert selection stone first and ACA second.

img_14598.jpg

img_14599.jpg

img_14600.jpg

img_14601.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Re: I'm back and getting a carat! Small for here,but help ne

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. The ACA has a little more diameter, if that matters. The arrows maybe look a little hair chunkier on the first one (some people like 'em chunkier and some people like em thinner...)

SQ809

Rough_Rock

I actually think I like the chunkier ones (assuming that is the opposite of splintery flashes). I may go with that one I'm not really sure. Getting some videos tomorrow

SQ809

Rough_Rock

It does have an indented natural which I read wasn't good. Wow I have learned so much about diamonds from here I just realized I have watched so many diamond videos and read so many posts that I have a preference in diamond characteristics. Never thought that would happen.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

SQ809|1484875272|4116747 said:
It does have an indented natural which I read wasn't good. Wow I have learned so much about diamonds from here I just realized I have watched so many diamond videos and read so many posts that I have a preference in diamond characteristics. Never thought that would happen.

:cheeky: that's what Mr Bcat says. He gets a melodramatic moment and says it's sad that he not only has strong opinions and preferences about diamonds now but can hold long and meaningful discussions as well....then I laugh for days and tell him he started it all.... :lol:

The certs should tell you what the lower girdle facets are. 78 and higher makes thinner arrows. I like around 75-76....but it's not a deal breaker if it's 77 either for me. :lol: so specific! Some people don't mind either way and some people have a preference.

Where is the indented natural? Someone who knows more than I do about inclusions might be able to comment. Is it on the expert selection stone? I don't know what effect that would have, if any on a vs2 stone.

SQ809

Rough_Rock

The first one is a 75 and the second a 77. I may actually go with the first although it's ever so slightly smaller. Yes the indented natural is on the expert selection kind of near the edge I just didn't know if it weakened the diamond.

SQ809

Rough_Rock

The plot thickens. A 1.16 I VS2 ACA is now a viable option. I think I will switch to a white gold setting for that one I'm just nervous about tint in platinum. The specs are
6.69x6.73x4.16 mm
61.9 depth
54.8 table
34.8/40.6 ca/pa
75 lower

Asked for video comparison of all three today. So tough to decide

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

SQ809|1484920272|4116856 said:
The plot thickens. A 1.16 I VS2 ACA is now a viable option. I think I will switch to a white gold setting for that one I'm just nervous about tint in platinum. The specs are
6.69x6.73x4.16 mm
61.9 depth
54.8 table
34.8/40.6 ca/pa
75 lower

Yes, diamond craziness...I just went through it too... :wacko:

I know what I would do if it were *me* (bigger) but then, I had an I Brian Gavin Blue stone for several years and it was plenty white for me, but you are you and have to decide about color. Here's a pic of my old stone in its halo which was either F/G or G/H melee, can't remember now.

roseringc.jpg

Good luck on your choice! It'll be stunning!

SQ809

Rough_Rock

Wow that's beautiful. I could always go to a blue Nile or some place like that and get even bigger for my money. Just so many decisions. I want to use Whiteflash because they've been so great so far. Just struggling with final decision

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SQ809|1484920272|4116856 said:
6.69x6.73x4.16 mm
61.9 depth
54.8 table
34.8/40.6 ca/pa
75 lower

Noooo, on switching to white gold! White gold is plated with rhodium and it wears off and is a pain because you have to have it replated. Stick with platinum!!! There is zero difference in how a diamond will look in wg vs platinum. They are both white metals.

There is no contest about going with an ACA that only costs $400 more than an ES. plus it is larger. Eliminate the ES stone. Their cut is very similar so you aren't going to see that one has chunkier facets in real life size!

So it's between two ACAs, an H at 6.56-6.59mm or an I color 6.69-6.73. That's a tough one. I'd probably go with the H unless you think she'd value a slight difference in size over color.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

SQ809|1484924228|4116876 said:
Wow that's beautiful. I could always go to a blue Nile or some place like that and get even bigger for my money. Just so many decisions. I want to use Whiteflash because they've been so great so far. Just struggling with final decision

I think you are going to have a better long term route with WF, esp if you ever want to upgrade from the original size. And with BN, you aren't going to get much in the way of performance metrics. You'll be banging your head against the wall within a day searching...At least at James Allen you get 3 Idealscope images so if you weed through enough stuff, you can still get performance info on 3 stones.

ACA you already KNOW is going to be amazing and I wouldn't step down from that kind of quality. The cut is beautiful, branded, and prescreened. (But then, I prefer the super ideals myself in modern rounds. And I've had both unbranded modern ideals and super ideals so I at least have some experience there. My new stone is super ideal, though from Brian Gavin, who branched off from WF years ago.)

SQ809

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the information. It's a bummer that WF doesnt have blue diamonds because I know my GF would love fluoro in a diamond if she ever did get it under a UV light.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

SQ809|1484930202|4116907 said:
Thank you for the information. It's a bummer that WF doesnt have blue diamonds because I know my GF would love fluoro in a diamond if she ever did get it under a UV light.

You can check the cert of the ones you are looking at. It's possible they might have a little....

SQ809

Rough_Rock

Ok this is awesome, WF made a video just for our possible diamond selection.

I cant see any difference in the diamonds other than size. I think I am going with the larger I. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hsPAsVFVh8&feature=youtu.be

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

High crown angle, small table, thick and large arrows from small table and 75 LGH.
I love the appearance of the I VS2 :love:
The size difference is very noticeable as well.

SQ809

Rough_Rock

I really like the arrows in that one as well. I dont know why I like arrows at all, I know next to nothing about diamonds, but now I do know that I have a slight preference!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

SQ809|1484945779|4117048 said:
I really like the arrows in that one as well. I dont know why I like arrows at all, I know next to nothing about diamonds, but now I do know that I have a slight preference!

It's going to be stunning! Congrats!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another vote for the larger I

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results