shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help with sapphire engagement stone!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Anyone care to offer opinions on these three other stones I came across? I've been looking at more of the websites recommended on here. The green pear is my favorite out of the three.

kbc103-b_i1_0.jpg
kbc103-b2_i1.jpg
kbc103-bb_i1.jpg
kbc103-bs_i1.jpg
kbc103-bhs_i1.jpg
kbc103-cert_i1.jpg

ppo119-b1.jpg
ppo119-b2.jpg
ppo119-bb.jpg
ppo119-bs.jpg
ppo119-bbhs.jpg
ppo119-cert.jpg

ygs2325-bn1f1.jpg
ygs2325-bn1f2.jpg
ygs2325-bn1bs.jpg
ygs2325-bhsn1.jpg
ygs2325-cert.jpg

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
There are a few nice stones on this site in the Pricescope Café/Preloved jewels.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess of those 3, I also like the pear. But none of them have that "oh wow!" for me personally. They seem like solid middle-of-the-road stones.

Are you considering pink too? If the gemfix pink stone is too much, this is small and looks mighty, and like the mastercut stone would save a healthy budget for setting:
http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p35/0.90_ct_Unheated_Hot_Pink_Sapphire.html

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
[/attachmen
chroman|1484806472|4116449 said:
I guess of those 3, I also like the pear. But none of them have that "oh wow!" for me personally. They seem like solid middle-of-the-road stones.

Are you considering pink too? If the gemfix pink stone is too much, this is small and looks mighty, and like the mastercut stone would save a healthy budget for setting:
http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p35/0.90_ct_Unheated_Hot_Pink_Sapphire.html

Definitely not against pink! I just seem more drawn to the greens. But there's not really any color I'm not considering, which I suppose makes it harder to narrow down. I need to go look at that Gemfix one you posted. The one above is nice too and very affordable. I did see a ruby on wild fish I liked. At $3,500 it's at the top of the budget, but I'm more concerned about main stone than setting. What do you think of this? Perhaps if I do decide to go the pink road a pink sapphire would give more bang for buck? I do like the ruby though.

img_14573.jpg

img_14574.jpg

img_14575.jpg

img_14576.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is beyond horrendous as the window takes up almost the entire table itself and I'm not even a stickler for ideal cutting. Please pass on it ASAP.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At $3,500 it's at the top of the budget, but I'm more concerned about main stone than setting. What do you think of this?
I'm with Chrono..

Here's another pink I like
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G87725

Perhaps if I do decide to go the pink road a pink sapphire would give more bang for buck? I do like the ruby though.
I think a pink or green sapphire will be lower priced (per ct) than a fine blue sapphire or ruby. Thats just the market! But I also think pink stones are more plentiful than green - thats nature!

Oranges are fairly rare and often treated, that might be a hard one to find. How do you feel about yellows?

ETA: if you find yourself drawn to pinks, is there any chance spinel would be of interest? It also can do pinks (and reddish-oranges) well, but I get that you might only want sapphire!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1484828783|4116490 said:
The cut is beyond horrendous as the window takes up almost the entire table itself and I'm not even a stickler for ideal cutting. Please pass on it ASAP.

Well there you go! Easy pass then. I'm sure the more I'm on here, the better I will get at noticing these types of issues. For now though, I trust y'all's expertise. I visually have an idea of what I like and don't like, but am not great at spotting what cut is quality and what isn't. Especially for certain price points.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
chroman|1484836720|4116518 said:
At $3,500 it's at the top of the budget, but I'm more concerned about main stone than setting. What do you think of this?
I'm with Chrono..

Here's another pink I like
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G87725

Perhaps if I do decide to go the pink road a pink sapphire would give more bang for buck? I do like the ruby though.
I think a pink or green sapphire will be lower priced (per ct) than a fine blue sapphire or ruby. Thats just the market! But I also think pink stones are more plentiful than green - thats nature!

Oranges are fairly rare and often treated, that might be a hard one to find. How do you feel about yellows?

ETA: if you find yourself drawn to pinks, is there any chance spinel would be of interest? It also can do pinks (and reddish-oranges) well, but I get that you might only want sapphire!

That is a lovely stone as well.

Yes, I'm finding online and on this board that blue is definitely the preferred color and greens aren't seen as desirable. I just like green! I love emeralds, but they are so much more included and lack the hardness for everyday wear. Australia seems to have most of the greens that I'm interested in, but it also seems that stones from there aren't has popular in the market as ones from Sri Lanka, Madagascar, etc.? I'm sure this has nothing to do with the actual quality of the gems from Australia, just the market trend?

Orange is actually my favorite color, so I'm open to it. I just haven't come across that many I've enjoyed? I've looked at some yellows, but since I really want a setting in yellow or rose gold, I'm not sure yellow would stand out?

I don't know if spinel would be hard enough for daily wear at an 8?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
The one yellow I did see that I was drawn to was this one on Earth's Treasury. Just because it looks so saturated.

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-01-carat-intense-yellow-nigerian-sapphire/

This trillion was another green I came across.

tgs199-b1.jpg
tgs199-bs.jpg
tgs135-bhsn1.jpg
tgs199-cert.jpg

This orangey brown one intrigued me. Though I'm not sure if the cut is kind of crude? Could just be the style of that cut.

obs126-b1s.jpg
obs126-b2s.jpg
obs126-bb2s.jpg
obs126-bss.jpg
obs126-bbhss_0.jpg
obs126-certs.jpg

And then this peach from Jeff White. Color I haven't seen a lot of, though not very traditional or saturated. Is the second picture what you would consider a window? I don't see a window from straight on, but turned to the side where the main face facet reflects, it makes the other facets hidden. If that makes sense.

sap208f.jpg
sap208s.jpg
sap208b.jpg
sap208hand__1_.jpg

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for being overwhelming and posting so many different stones! There are just so many different things I like and am interested in, that it makes it so hard to narrow down. I just appreciated the honesty and knowledge of this board. A diamond certainly would be simpler for me to pick, but I just want something a little different.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get that yellow sapphire on HOLD!

Trilliant is nice but not an equilateral?

The orangey brown just looks...brown on the hand.

The JW peach is light but well cut. What you are seeing in the second picture is a tilt window. Normal and to be expected.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1484847946|4116550 said:
Get that yellow sapphire on HOLD!

Trilliant is nice but not an equilateral?

The orangey brown just looks...brown on the hand.

The JW peach is light but well cut. What you are seeing in the second picture is a tilt window. Normal and to be expected.

I THOUGHT that might be what you call a tilt window. I have seen the term on here, but wasn't sure exactly what it meant. Now it seems obvious. Window when the gem is tilted.

Haha I take it you like the yellow. It's such a bright and happy color, and I haven't seen many that shade. Like a bright egg yolk. The cut on it looks gorgeous too. I think it would make a great solitaire. Certainly would make it hard to wake up in the morning and be sad when you look at that color.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Here are pics of the yellow without having to click on the link.

img_14581.jpg

img_14582.jpg

img_14583.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty, like a yellow diamond but did you put it on hold yet? Don't be surprised if someone else buys it whilst you are busy attaching pictures of it here.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1484853869|4116588 said:
It's so pretty, like a yellow diamond but did you put it on hold yet? Don't be surprised if someone else buys it whilst you are busy attaching pictures of it here.

No I did not. I saw some other posters say that that has happened before. You can put a hold on those types of things? How does that work?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hobbitfancier55|1484854141|4116592 said:
No I did not. I saw some other posters say that that has happened before. You can put a hold on those types of things? How does that work?
Contact the vendor (email, call, etc) and tell him you are interested in the stone. Request that he kindly put it on hold for a day whilst you consult with your wife/family to make sure she likes it too. This is the time to ask the vendor your questions / concerns about the stone's colour, performance, etc and shop policies.

ragiff

Rough_Rock
The yellow stone is impressive! Thumbs up!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed about the yellow!!

Is the green one from ET still in contention?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yup, the 3.11, thats what I was thinking. Since they both from the same vendor, when you inquire about holding the yellow ask questions about that one too! Worse case buy them both to see in person and return your second choice :)

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
chroman|1484888487|4116800 said:
Yup, the 3.11, thats what I was thinking. Since they both from the same vendor, when you inquire about holding the yellow ask questions about that one too! Worse case buy them both to see in person and return your second choice :)

I actually was thinking about that. I emailed Jeff earlier today asking him to hold the yellow. But was thinking maybe about seeing both stones and choosing from the two.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hobbitfancier55|1484889715|4116808 said:
chroman|1484888487|4116800 said:

I actually was thinking about that. I emailed Jeff earlier today asking him to hold the yellow. But was thinking maybe about seeing both stones and choosing from the two.

Even better. That way, you know for sure which one is the right one as it is more difficult to decide when there is only one option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results