shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, need your opinions on these diamonds!

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Hello, i've been lurking here for about 2 months now, learning and taking in as much info as i can. I am buying an engagement ring and need your expertise! Now, from reading the wealth of info here i understand that some of my baseline requirements are overkill in clarity and maybe color, but this is where i feel comfortable to be at for now.

I have looked at these so far in which i am interested in and was wanting some opinions about which to move forward with regarding getting more info (ASET and ideal-scope images etc).

I have ran all the following on the HCA and they score below 2.

To summarize my current criteria:

Round Brilliant
Cut: Ideal+
Carat: 1.1-1.20
Color: F+
Clarity: VS1 - VVS2

Setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-pave-countour-engagement-ring-item-58987

These are the two that I've been looking at they're 1.1 & 1.2ct. The 1.2ct is about $1500 more than the 1.1ct, I have a few more but I'll post them after you guys look at these two!

My budget is around 12K with the setting above, so far these two are upper 9-10K's.

I am definitely open to suggestions as well if they're around the criteria.

Thank you guys!

Diamond #1:

HCA Score: 1.0

carat weight: 1.20
color: F
clarity: VVS2
cut: Excellent
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
l/w/d (mm): 6.81*6.85*4.19
l/w ratio: 1.01
depth %: 61.30
table %: 57.00
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 33.50
crown %: 14.50
pavilion ∠: 40.80
pavilion %: 43.00

Diamond 2:

HCA Score: 0.7

carat weight: 1.10
clarity: VS1
l/w/d (mm): 6.62*6.64*4.05
l/w ratio: 1.00
depth %: 61.20
girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
table %: 57.00
culet: None
crown ∠: 34.00
crown %: 14.50
pavilion ∠: 40.60

_1545.png

_1546.png

d2-1.png

_1547.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is the number one factor in a diamond's beauty. I'd far rather have a G color stone that was a great cut than D-F that's not so great. VS1 is totally clean, so it's really overkill to pay for higher clarity than that.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Two of the above diamonds have crown angles lower than 34, and I, personally, don't look at stones that have under 34. The last one doesn't have the greatest angle combo in that a 34 crown angle works better with an upper range pavilion angle such as 40.9. I try to get as close to 34.5 and 40.8 as possible.

Just asking, does the recipient value high color and clarity over diamond size? If so, that's fine. But many women would prefer G-H color and VS clarity to get a larger stone (and some I-J and SI, too!). Top cut diamonds are beautiful in any color, really.

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response! I appreciate your explanation and understand (to the best i can) about the angles, so thanks for that tip. As your question about the recipient, she doesn't want something too big, and when we went in local stores decided 1.1-1.2 would be a good size for her (she has a 6.5 ring size) and F was a good baseline for color, and as far as clarity goes we kind of both agreed for the baseline of VS1, but i understand the price increase at these ranges.

Also: For GIA cert comments, when does the additional clouds/pinpoints not shown become a possible problem? (if any at all)

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Here's another one, sorry I'm a bit overwhelmed even though I tried my best to prepare by researching..
Would the GIA clarity diagram be concerning with the clouds?

Diamond 3:

HCA: 1.1

carat weight: 1.25
clarity: VS1
l/w/d (mm): 6.97*6.96*4.21
l/w ratio: 1.00
depth %: 60.50
girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
table %: 58.00
culet: None
crown ∠: 34.00
crown %: 14.00
pavilion ∠: 40.80

d3-1.png

_1548.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one has measurements within the parameters I posted, and it has the bonus of not being deep which makes it have an excellent diameter. F VS1 is very nice! No, there are no negative issues with clouds with VS1 grading. I'd keep it on the list to consider. This is a nicely cut stone, but it is not like a superideal cut. I just want you to see the difference to be sure you are okay with an excellent cut. Obviously the better cut costs more, though. Even when buying from GIA stones, I make a stone like the one below my model of what I want the cut to be like.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3738243.htm

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
I was also looking at that stone from WF but I couldn't find a similiar setting on there :( but I do see how nice that diamond is, and of course the premium. I will keep that 1.25ct on my list!

With that being said, Me and my SO had a conversation, and without trying to give too much away.. she said she would rather have something smaller with better cut vs something big and less better cut. (so ranging from 1.0-1.2.. but cut matters most then at least F and VS1) I tried looking at some of the true hearts JA was offering and from what I see some of the ASET/IdealScope images look a bit off to me in terms of shapes/lightleakage in certain areas.

For example: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.14-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076368

There's this 1ct that looks okay, which is totally fine (we tried 1ct on her finger and it looked good in size already)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2324231

This one has some good numbers, but I'm not totally sure about that mark on the top and looking through it I can see some stuff, but it's probably eye-clean?..

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.17-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2201250

I know I'm all over the place with carat size, but just looking at all my options, and most importantly, what my SO would like!...

Thank you once again for all your help!

Lore

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeekr|1484967528|4117313 said:
I was also looking at that stone from WF but I couldn't find a similiar setting on there :( but I do see how nice that diamond is, and of course the premium. I will keep that 1.25ct on my list!

Bear in mind that JA will set diamonds purchased from other retailers on their settings, so if you find an even better one somewhere else, don't rule it out!

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you for the tip! I have the 1.25ct on hold for aset/idealscope images to see what that looks like at the moment, I also have the 1ct true hearts as well for them to look at and compare, i really don't mind the ct difference nor will my SO, but the 1.25 would be nice if it came back great. But at the same time i'm also looking for other possibilities but it's very overwhelming. Will update you guys when I find out!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will tell you now that I believe the quality of WF settings is also higher than James Allen. They have several awesome pave settings.

But as far as James Allen goes, these are the other two best stones (and I think they are better than the 1.25 as far as cut goes). I actually like the measurements best of all on this one and you should ask for an ASET image:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.17-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2201250

other one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.14-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076368

You're getting good at picking nice ones!

(Note: Always have the diamond seller set the diamond. If you chose a diamond at WF for example and a setting from JA, I would buy the JA setting and send it to WF and pay a setting fee to WF. But again, I'd personally choose a WF setting and then there is no setting fee. Same with JA. Always nice when both come from same vendor.)

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinion, I just put that 1.17 on hold as well for ASET and hoping to talk to gemologist about all three. What kind of questions should I be asking most importantly? I know everyone says VS1 should be plenty eye-clean, but the 1.17ct one has some marks I can see with the 20x, kind of hard to un-see once you're that close... What i'm wondering is for that one if its naked-eye and im really trying to look for it will i be able to spot it with it upclose to my eye.. anyway, I am considering WF as well and looking through those settings to find something simple and similiar to the JA one i linked.

Will update, and once again thank you for all your help!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you're over estimating the resolving power of your eyes. You won't be able to see it with a naked eye, as close as you wish to hold it. If you hold it too close you won't be able to focus on it. Maybe go back to the store and have another look at vs1s so your comfortable. The majority of VS2s are eye clean too and a significant proportion of si1s.

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
gm89uk|1485165028|4118448 said:
I think you're over estimating the resolving power of your eyes. You won't be able to see it with a naked eye, as close as you wish to hold it. If you hold it too close you won't be able to focus on it. Maybe go back to the store and have another look at vs1s so your comfortable. The majority of VS2s are eye clean too and a significant proportion of si1s.

I went back to my local jewelry store over the weekend to look at more loose diamonds in person and you're right, it's pretty hard to look at even with a regular 10x loop. It's just crazy seeing it in super zoom 30-40x and kind of a thing you can't unsee if you get what I mean.. :D

But i'm waiting for ASET images for the 1.25 and 1.17ct for now, hoping for the 1.17ct to be good since the cut numbers are better as per diamondseeker2006

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the 1.17 from the video and specs.

We'll have to see!

I just have to post within your budget
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3769797.htm

The inclusions in here are eye clean. The diamond is perfectly cut and the difference between G and F is negligible. What will be more apparent is the extra size and edge to edge brightness from top of the line cut with fire uniform throughout the diamond. There are many vs2 options as well. Invisible inclusions don't affect beauty. Cut absolutely does and it doesn't get much better than this.

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for the link for that one, i'll keep it on the list! JA got back to me with the Idealscope for the 1.17ct:

Opinions? the 1.25 is not at their office so they would need to request..

117.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not a hearts and arrows diamond but it is a brilliant idealscope and should be a top performer. If you value clarity and colour over the very top of the line cut (superideal hearts and arrows) then get this stone. It is ideally cut and should have a nice balance of brightness and fire with nice broad flashes from those chunky arrows

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I am leaning toward this one!

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, i forgot to ask.. what do you guys think about this compared to that 1.14ct? I know the 1.17ct is not H&A, but what would that translate to in real life in terms of brilliance? Would it make a huge difference besides not being able to see uniform H&A?

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably not a lot in it to be honest. The difference between H&A idealcut and ideal cut stones is minimal compared to triple x GIA that's borderline and Top of the line GIA, as you have done your homework and found a decent stone. I'm not saying there would be no difference, how much is impossible to comment without comparing side by side (which you could ask JA) to do, but I think it wouldn't be very noticeable.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looks like you have an option you are happy with - this is great!

For fun, if you thought that this setting was a reasonable alternative to the JA one you liked:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...o-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1012.htm

Then you would have other AGS0 cut quality considerations you might like from Whiteflash. For example:
1.11 F VS1 if you wanted to stay in your original parameters:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3788918.htm
1.26 G VS2 if you thought that G and eye clean VS2 felt comfortable and you wanted to be 1.25+
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3765687.htm

Happy hunting!

DiamondSeekr

Rough_Rock
Hey, yeah i've been looking at WF and the settings just aren't what I'm looking for, which is a bummer..

Anyway, one last (i hope) question regarding the 1.14ct true hearts.. comparing the two IS images, would the light leak (i think that's what it is) on the table of the diamond be a concern? Is it because of the 35 CA? Does that CA hurt the 40.8 PA?

_38938.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results