shape
carat
color
clarity

am i overanalyzing this diamond stud purchase?

luckykit

Rough_Rock
hi all -

i have massive analysis paralysis on buying a 1 ctw pair of studs. :wall: i know this is not a "big" purchase to some of you, but i want these to be a forever pair and i now know enough to be a perfectionist!

my main agonizing is over whether what i've found is good enough, or whether i should hold out. i've been obsessing over a pair that i'm slightly reluctant to post (do things get scooped here?!), but i can link to it if you think it's safe. i'm not sure of two things:

1) are these well matched enough? i know they would work, but CAN i do better? SHOULD i do better, with perfectly matched color or dimensions or carat weight?
AND
2) there are significant inclusions in the tables of both - clouds and crystals for one, and twinning wisps for the other. HOWEVER, i'm told they are not only eye clean at 10" (which is the company's definition), they are eye clean at 6". i'm also told none of the inclusions will hinder light performance. but the cynic in me just tells me they want to sell a diamond (they were enthusiastic about every single pair i mentioned).

i should note that i also ruled out another pair just because the HCA scores for one were "very good" on all counts rather than excellent - because every other diamond rates excellent. is that a dumb move? (i know HCA is a rejection tool, but i thought all other things being equal...)

Diamond 1:
Round
Super Ideal cut (being vague because I am paranoid), so AGS000
0.527 carat
G
SI1
5.18x5.22x3.19 mm
no fluorescence
depth 61.3%
table 56.1%
crown 34.4
pavilion 40.8
thin to medium faceted girdle

Diamond 2:
Round
0.538 carat
H
SI1
5.23x5.25x3.22 mm
Depth 61.4
Table 55.6
crown 34.4
pavilion 40.8

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luckykit|1484166622|4114453 said:
hi all -

i have massive analysis paralysis on buying a 1 ctw pair of studs. :wall: i know this is not a "big" purchase to some of you, but i want these to be a forever pair and i now know enough to be a perfectionist!

my main agonizing is over whether what i've found is good enough, or whether i should hold out. i've been obsessing over a pair that i'm slightly reluctant to post (do things get scooped here?!), but i can link to it if you think it's safe. i'm not sure of two things:

1) are these well matched enough? i know they would work, but CAN i do better? SHOULD i do better, with perfectly matched color or dimensions or carat weight?
AND
2) there are significant inclusions in the tables of both - clouds and crystals for one, and twinning wisps for the other. HOWEVER, i'm told they are not only eye clean at 10" (which is the company's definition), they are eye clean at 6". i'm also told none of the inclusions will hinder light performance. but the cynic in me just tells me they want to sell a diamond (they were enthusiastic about every single pair i mentioned).

i should note that i also ruled out another pair just because the HCA scores for one were "very good" on all counts rather than excellent - because every other diamond rates excellent. is that a dumb move? (i know HCA is a rejection tool, but i thought all other things being equal...)

Diamond 1:
Round
0.527 carat
G
SI1
5.18x5.22x3.19 mm
no fluorescence
depth 61.3%
table 56.1%
crown 34.4
pavilion 40.8

Diamond 2:
Round
0.538 carat
H
SI1
5.23x5.25x3.22 mm
Depth 61.4
Table 55.6
crown 34.4
pavilion 40.8

Hi luckykit, I know which super-ideal pair you are talking about. :) The dimensions, proportions, etc are very familiar to me as I remember searching on that online vendor's site to see how much it would cost for a decent 1ctw diamond pairing before I realised that it was outta my budget (and my wife's preferred size range for studs). I've also discussed with reps from that vendor about diamond pair options for studs in my situation.

I too over on another thread have been reluctant to post which particular pair in Brian Gavin Diamonds' inventory I have been eyeing after rejecting one pair for fear of someone else scooping them before Valentines Day. So I know how you feel.

As for these two diamonds, the images on the site pretty much line up (with my eyes) with what are on the grading reports. I can see some of the twinning wisps on the highly magnified images and the clouds in the first diamond don't look to be that prominent in the magnified image. They should be eyeclean from the distances the vendors reps have said. Keep in mind you are talking about stones that are ~5mm in diameter across. You'd have to have superhuman eyesight to be able to spot a twinning wisp that small from 6" or even 10" away!

I would focus more on the Idealscope and ASET images because if the inclusions are large enough in both diamonds, they should show up on those two scope images (particularly crystals which can block light if they happen to be black in colour and positioned in a way where they end up reflecting onto other facets [which is why I knocked out one BGD pair from my consideration as one stone in a pair had such an issue]). Looking at the scope images, the inclusions in both diamonds don't look like they affect the light performance in any measurable way so these two stones might be the right pair for you and your budget.

It's hard to find stones which are exactly the same carat weight. DImensions wise they match up well in my books.

The whole thing I'm sensing from you is more of a "mind clean" issue given both stones are SI1s and the step up to a G/H VS2 pairing is a moderate jump in price from the price of this pair.

luckykit

Rough_Rock
bmfang|1484168397|4114463 said:
I can see some of the twinning wisps on the highly magnified images and the clouds in the first diamond don't look to be that prominent in the magnified image. They should be eyeclean from the distances the vendors reps have said. Keep in mind you are talking about stones that are ~5mm in diameter across. You'd have to have superhuman eyesight to be able to spot a twinning wisp that small from 6" or even 10" away!
thanks, that makes me feel better to have a second set of eyes! and i definitely do NOT have superhuman vision so we're good there. :lol:

I would focus more on the Idealscope and ASET images because if the inclusions are large enough in both diamonds, they should show up on those two scope images (particularly crystals which can block light if they happen to be black in colour and positioned in a way where they end up reflecting onto other facets [which is why I knocked out one BGD pair from my consideration as one stone in a pair had such an issue]). Looking at the scope images, the inclusions in both diamonds don't look like they affect the light performance in any measurable way so these two stones might be the right pair for you and your budget.
also really helpful - i haven't seen many inclusions that show up on the idealscope/ASET so i wasn't sure whether that was a thing to look for or not.

It's hard to find stones which are exactly the same carat weight. DImensions wise they match up well in my books.

The whole thing I'm sensing from you is more of a "mind clean" issue given both stones are SI1s and the step up to a G/H VS2 pairing is a moderate jump in price from the price of this pair.

i do know i'm probably searching for perfection that doesn't exist, or does exist but only at much higher price points. it's not so much a question of whether these are good - i feel that they are - it's whether i should hold out for something BETTER. i think these are relatively mind clean for me and if someone says 'that's as good as it gets', i would be fine.

i suppose i should probably call the company and ask whether they think their current inventory is as good as ever, or whether i should wait. i just don't know whether they'd say whatever to get me to purchase though. :think:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just completed my earrings purchase from BGD yesterday on a pair of I VVS2 stones (the vendor you are looking at was outta my budget for the carat sizes I was looking at) and settings. They just began a Valentine's Day coupon offer which expires on 10 Feb 2017. 8% off loose diamonds for pendants and earrings if paying by bank wire (5% off if paying by credit card or PayPal). Need to purchase the stones and setting one transaction though. To me BGD's inventory stock is at the same super-ideal level as the vendor you have been looking at. If you know the history of the vendor you are looking at purchasing from, you will understand why.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/valentines-day-diamond-jewelry/

So you may want to take a look over at BGD's website as well to see if there are any pairs totalling around 1ctw there as well (though whether you like any of their settings is another issue). They do have inventory in the 0.50-0.59ct range between G-I colours and between SI1 to VS1 (and higher) clarities based on a quick bleary eyed look I've had this morning (it's 5:35am now as I'm typing).

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/signature-diamonds/round?size=.50

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you are overanalyzing and yes, this Super Branded Cut is about as good as it gets. Part of the reason people buy Super Branded
cuts is because the company has gone through all the effort to have the stones cut to stict parameters. If they dont meet those
parameters then the stone will fall into a lower grade category. These look like great stones...I cant imagine that they are not
eye-clean from any distance (as long as you're not eagle eye). I have a pair about this size that have some black carbon in them
( ;( ) and I cant even see it without a loupe.

So...stop worrying...seriously! Many PSers have engagement stones from this company and they are gorgeous!

luckykit

Rough_Rock
bmfang|1484249844|4114792 said:
I just completed my earrings purchase from BGD yesterday on a pair of I VVS2 stones (the vendor you are looking at was outta my budget for the carat sizes I was looking at) and settings. They just began a Valentine's Day coupon offer which expires on 10 Feb 2017. 8% off loose diamonds for pendants and earrings if paying by bank wire (5% off if paying by credit card or PayPal). Need to purchase the stones and setting one transaction though. To me BGD's inventory stock is at the same super-ideal level as the vendor you have been looking at. If you know the history of the vendor you are looking at purchasing from, you will understand why.

So you may want to take a look over at BGD's website as well to see if there are any pairs totalling around 1ctw there as well (though whether you like any of their settings is another issue). They do have inventory in the 0.50-0.59ct range between G-I colours and between SI1 to VS1 (and higher) clarities based on a quick bleary eyed look I've had this morning (it's 5:35am now as I'm typing).

i saw that you bought those - congrats! your wife will be so happy! does she know about them, or is this a surprise?

i agree that perhaps i should take another look at BGD. they didn't have anything in the range i was looking for last time i looked, but i'll check again (and i do know the history and why! :D )

luckykit

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1484250663|4114798 said:
Yes, you are overanalyzing and yes, this Super Branded Cut is about as good as it gets. Part of the reason people buy Super Branded
cuts is because the company has gone through all the effort to have the stones cut to stict parameters. If they dont meet those
parameters then the stone will fall into a lower grade category. These look like great stones...I cant imagine that they are not
eye-clean from any distance (as long as you're not eagle eye). I have a pair about this size that have some black carbon in them

So...stop worrying...seriously! Many PSers have engagement stones from this company and they are gorgeous!

thanks! sorry, i know i am an annoying newbie (i'm saying that, not that you said it!) asking some silly questions... but i swear i am learning a lot with every response. thank you! :D

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luckykit|1484251610|4114801 said:
bmfang|1484249844|4114792 said:

i saw that you bought those - congrats! your wife will be so happy! does she know about them, or is this a surprise?

i agree that perhaps i should take another look at BGD. they didn't have anything in the range i was looking for last time i looked, but i'll check again (and i do know the history and why! :D )

Good that you know the history behind the two companies :D

I'm kicking myself ( :wall: ) that I didn't purchase them when they had their end of year sale in late December '16 when settings and loose stones both had 10% off (which is a sizeable saving for those of us from Australia who import in, as a 10% saving in USD price essentially pays for the 10% Goods & Services Tax we get charged upon import).

As for my wife, she has always wanted studs that are larger than the current sizes she has. But with bub being almost here (he will be well and truly here by this time next week!), she has been reluctant for me to spend on studs after I bought her a push present (0.962 K VS2 Brian Gavin Blue in an 18kt white gold Freya ring setting). I've dropped some hints that I am looking at for diamond studs for her and that prices are going to be as good as they get for a while. So this is sort of a surprise for her. I will have to find some time in between the bottle feeding and nappy changing to use my new jewellery loupe once these studs arrive! :razz:

Am expecting the AUD to tank against USD once POTUSA-E Trump takes office and his administration settles in. I will be one pissed off consumer if his administration decides to scrap the Australia-USA Free Trade Agreement because I don't want any future imports of US made jewellery (from BGD, VC, WF, JA, etc) for myself or other discerning Aussie diamond buyers to be subject to a further 5% import duty on top of the 10% GST that we currently have to pay upon import.

Have noticed that a lot of the new BG Advance Selection stones in the carat range I was looking at were more expensive than stones that they had already in inventory - e.g. the 0.333 I VVS2 I purchased was USD$711 list but an Advance 0.338 I VS1 was USD$801 list. Either rough prices have gone up recently or the costs to cut and polish have. Or maybe both.

Am very happy that the Aussie dollar has been strengthening against the USD over the last week so our bank account won't get whacked as much in AUD terms... :bigsmile:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luckykit|1484251697|4114802 said:

thanks! sorry, i know i am an annoying newbie (i'm saying that, not that you said it!) asking some silly questions... but i swear i am learning a lot with every response. thank you! :D

No, not annoying! I know it's just hard to call and do it (it's hard for me too) but I know that company and their stones are beautiful.
I just want you to feel assured on that part.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome upgrade policy :)

luckykit

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1484262017|4114865 said:

No, not annoying! I know it's just hard to call and do it (it's hard for me too) but I know that company and their stones are beautiful.

well thank you, i do appreciate it! finally pulled the trigger this weekend on this very pair. :D thanks for the encouragement! (you too bmfang!)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your purchase! They'll be beautiful.

You MUST post ear shots when you get em!!!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
luckykit|1484691679|4116072 said:
tyty333|1484262017|4114865 said:

well thank you, i do appreciate it! finally pulled the trigger this weekend on this very pair. :D thanks for the encouragement! (you too bmfang!)

Congrats! Wear them well luckykit
My new son approves of your new matching pair of stones as well! :wavey:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No you aren't. I have purchased studs from many vendors. Call the vendor you want to work with and give them your parameters. They will find stones that match perfectly for you. You might have to wait a few weeks, but IMO perfection is worth it.

luckykit

Rough_Rock
bmfang|1484698039|4116090 said:
Congrats! Wear them well luckykit
My new son approves of your new matching pair of stones as well! :wavey:

oh wow, he's arrived! congratulations to you and your wife! :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luckykit...Cant wait to see pictures and to hear what you think about them! :appl:

Congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of your new baby boy bmfang! :appl:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks luckykit and tyty. Has been a rather exhausting last 5 days but we're getting into a routine now and (thankfully) he is settling down relatively easy after feeds (though he sure has a voice on him if he's not a happy chappy!) last night, we actually got him to sleep for four hours in between feeds which meant that we got close to 5 hours of total sleep last night (a lot more than the 1-2 hours a night we've been getting since last Sunday).

luckykit, please write back about the quality of the settings that's WF have. I am considering using them for the next jewellery purchase in a few years time (anniversary present).

luckykit

Rough_Rock
bmfang|1484802077|4116446 said:
Thanks luckykit and tyty. Has been a rather exhausting last 5 days but we're getting into a routine now and (thankfully) he is settling down relatively easy after feeds (though he sure has a voice on him if he's not a happy chappy!) last night, we actually got him to sleep for four hours in between feeds which meant that we got close to 5 hours of total sleep last night (a lot more than the 1-2 hours a night we've been getting since last Sunday).

luckykit, please write back about the quality of the settings that's WF have. I am considering using them for the next jewellery purchase in a few years time (anniversary present).

sounds like things are going well so far! i will definitely let you know how i like the settings. i just got my tracking number today, so they should be here by monday at the latest!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results