shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump begins to threaten the press

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump Team Considers Moving Press Corps, Alarming Reporters - The New York Times
https://apple.news/ANrbXbWzuTBGIT2kKfChlWw

I wonder if "shaking up the status quo" means only allowing members of the press that won't dare to cross Trump.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per Tekate’s excellent link (linked again in case someone missed it), he’s absolutely working from an autocrat's playbook...

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival/

Rule #3: Institutions will not save you

….the United States has much stronger institutions than Germany did in the 1930s, or Russia does today. Both Clinton and Obama in their speeches stressed the importance and strength of these institutions. The problem, however, is that many of these institutions are enshrined in political culture rather than in law, and all of them—including the ones enshrined in law—depend on the good faith of all actors to fulfill their purpose and uphold the Constitution.

The national press is likely to be among the first institutional victims of Trumpism. There is no law that requires the presidential administration to hold daily briefings, none that guarantees media access to the White House. Many journalists may soon face a dilemma long familiar to those of us who have worked under autocracies: fall in line or forfeit access. There is no good solution (even if there is a right answer), for journalism is difficult and sometimes impossible without access to information.

The power of the investigative press—whose adherence to fact has already been severely challenged by the conspiracy-minded, lie-spinning Trump campaign—will grow weaker. The world will grow murkier. Even in the unlikely event that some mainstream media outlets decide to declare themselves in opposition to the current government, or even simply to report its abuses and failings, the president will get to frame many issues. Coverage, and thinking, will drift in a Trumpian direction, just as it did during the campaign—when, for example, the candidates argued, in essence, whether Muslim Americans bear collective responsibility for acts of terrorism or can redeem themselves by becoming the “eyes and ears” of law enforcement. Thus was xenophobia further normalized, paving the way for Trump to make good on his promises to track American Muslims and ban Muslims from entering the United States.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since so many people like memes, here's one.

news.jpg

combat_pay.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, red. Obama is the crazy man on the warpath against his enemies and Donald Trump is normal. Yelling at a CNN reporter at a press conference is normal Presidential behavior. Do you have any bridges you want to sell? A lot of us are ripe for the picking.

Deb :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video I saw the CNN reporter was interrupting insistently and consistently. Make your voice known a couple of times but to continue further is just rude. It would have been disrespectful to Obama also. The press should learn real quickly that if you are disrespectful then you don't get a question. Its about respect for the office whether you have personal respect for the man or not.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484602108|4115798 said:
The video I saw the CNN reporter was interrupting insistently and consistently. Make your voice known a couple of times but to continue further is just rude. It would have been disrespectful to Obama also. The press should learn real quickly that if you are disrespectful then you don't get a question. Its about respect for the office whether you have personal respect for the man or not.

Not calling you out specifically Red, just wanted to comment on this piece because it has been used frequently in discussions related to several trump topics -- such as the peaceful transition of power and the inauguration.

I think respect for the office and who occupies it cannot be separated. Otherwise, we're honoring a room full of nice furniture that by itself cannot do a darn thing for the country. It is not the same thing to me as standing in awe gazing up at the Lincoln memorial which would be just a marble chair if Lincoln's image and all it stands for was not sitting there.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1484607887|4115824 said:
redwood66|1484602108|4115798 said:

Not calling you out specifically Red, just wanted to comment on this piece because it has been used frequently in discussions related to several trump topics -- such as the peaceful transition of power and the inauguration.

I think respect for the office and who occupies it cannot be separated. Otherwise, we're honoring a room full of nice furniture that by itself cannot do a darn thing for the country. It is not the same thing to me as standing in awe gazing up at the Lincoln memorial which would be just a marble chair if Lincoln's image and all it stands for was not sitting there.

M - I was talking about how a press reporter questions the president in a news conference setting. Not the people at large and how they feel about the president elect. The press is to report, not inject their opinion. That is for the op/ed pages.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484611498|4115835 said:
The press is to report, not inject their opinion. That is for the op/ed pages.

There is more to journalism than copying down what a public figure (in this instance a President-elect) says. That's why some journalism is called "investigative journalism". The journalist need not give his opinion, but he often must do a bit of questioning, some of it not polite. Woodward and Bernstein did a heck of a lot of running around-sometimes in in underground parking garages-trying to nail their story on Watergate. They didn't just accept what President Nixon said in his press conferences. Not out of respect for the office nor out of some misplaced notion that journalism involves a passive listening to speakers and then recording their speeches.

AGBF :read:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1484678121|4116003 said:
Why would I support Fox news? my complaint is more they don't cover things they don't like or their tone is biased, say Obama was tweeting like Trump does, I'm betting Fox would Flip, it's biased in favor of conservatives. They have a right to say what they want, but it doesn't make it accurate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/11/obama-says-fox-news-is-republicans-own-tv-station-in-interview-with-fox-news/

And HuffPo or NYT or CNN, or WaPo, or, or, etc., are not biased. Please.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1484622844|4115879 said:

There is more to journalism than copying down what a public figure (in this instance a President-elect) says. That's why some journalism is called "investigative journalism". The journalist need not give his opinion, but he often must do a bit of questioning, some of it not polite. Woodward and Bernstein did a heck of a lot of running around-sometimes in in underground parking garages-trying to nail their story on Watergate. They didn't just accept what President Nixon said in his press conferences. Not out of respect for the office nor out of some misplaced notion that journalism involves a passive listening to speakers and then recording their speeches.

I am all for investigative journalism. I am not for disrespect in a news conference setting. I am sure you loved a shoe being thrown at GW I guess?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484679442|4116012 said:
AGBF|1484622844|4115879 said:

I am all for investigative journalism. I am not for disrespect in a news conference setting. I am sure you loved a shoe being thrown at GW I guess?

I did not endorse disrespect in a news conference, although you were quick to try to pin that on me and, even worse, to imply that I would advocate violence in the form of shoe throwing. Feeling frustrated at being unable to answer what I actually wrote?

Since you did mention disrespect in a news conference, however, I have thought about it. I would infinitely prefer to see disrespect in a news conference to seeing an autocratic president who is usurping powers that do not belong to him denying the American people freedom of the press. If that scenario should come to pass, and I would not be at all surprised if it does with Trump as President of the United States, I will positively cheer any reporter who interrupts him in order to get a straight answer out of him. He tries to weasel out of every question put to him.

AGBF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point on this day I do not care what happens. I am sorry I offended you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted (repeat post)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted (repeat post)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484682836|4116030 said:
At this point on this day I do not care what happens. I am sorry I offended you.

You did not offend me, so the apology was unnecessary. Since you apologized, however, I will, too. I am sorry that I got personal with the comment about you feeling frustrated. We always speak civilly to each other. Thank you for continuing our practice.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1484686117|4116049 said:

You did not offend me, so the apology was unnecessary. Since you apologized, however, I will, too. I am sorry that I got personal with the comment about you feeling frustrated. We always speak civilly to each other. Thank you for continuing our practice.

Red, are you OK?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484685737|4116045 said:

I was watching when this occurred this morning, but only half understood the exchange at the time. Having watched it again using your clip, it doesn't surprise me very much. I do not find "Morning Joe" to be very left-leaning. Joe Scarborough is a Republican, after all, and usually toes the Republican line. I generally find him fair, however. On Sunday Reince Preibus called on President Obama to stop other Democrats from questioning Trump's legitimacy. Joe Scarborough said that this was nonsense (not his words) and that Barack Obama had "bent over backwards" (his words) to accommodate Donald Trump. I was interested that it was Mika Brzezinski who really stuck her neck out and said that the press had been unfair to Trump by being so deferential to John Lewis, though. Her father, Dr. Zbigniew Brzezinski, was Jimmy Carter's national security advisor. I would have assumed she was a Democrat. (But I don't know. I never looked that up.)

Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1484689014|4116057 said:

Red, are you OK?

No not really. Sitting here waiting to see if DH is laid off or not. Thank you for asking.

:wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484689487|4116061 said:

Red, are you OK?

No not really. Sitting here waiting to see if DH is laid off or not. Thank you for asking.

I'm sorry red. I sincerely hope everything works out for you and your family.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1484690220|4116066 said:

Red, are you OK?

I'm sorry red. I sincerely hope everything works out for you and your family.

My best wishes as well.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, red. I'm so sorry. I have been there (and more than once, too). My husband was laid off from Citibank with 30,000 others once. I hope it doesn't happen to your husband. Fingers crossed.

Hugs,
Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. It is much appreciated. This waiting for him to call is terrible. Sorry to derail this thread.

On with the news! :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484691224|4116071 said:
Thank you all. It is much appreciated. This waiting for him to call is terrible. Sorry to derail this thread.

Not at all! Waiting for a call is terrible. Waiting for a call and also holding it all in while posting as if nothing is wrong is the worst.

Deb

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending good thoughts your way Red. Waiting is always hard.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Sitting here waiting to see if DH is laid off or not. ...

UHG!

Fingers crossed for your DH.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a link to Trumps first interview with the Times of London. If you are wondering how it went the British Press are already labelling him the most unintelligible President they have ever interviewed. Full Transcript of the interview;
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/full-transcript-of-interview-with-donald-trump-5d39sr09d

Commentary on the interview with some of the highlights (warning graphic swearing from the writer assessing Trumps interview);

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/the-most-infuriating-fcked-up-batsht-bonkers-statements-from-trumps-times-of-london-interview.php#.WH6tmURpxxY.facebook

Red - I hope that things work out O.K for your husband.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump voters are $!^&!) piles of &@*) :nono:

Thanks a lot! :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484679231|4116011 said:
Tekate|1484678121|4116003 said:
Why would I support Fox news? my complaint is more they don't cover things they don't like or their tone is biased, say Obama was tweeting like Trump does, I'm betting Fox would Flip, it's biased in favor of conservatives. They have a right to say what they want, but it doesn't make it accurate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/11/obama-says-fox-news-is-republicans-own-tv-station-in-interview-with-fox-news/

And HuffPo or NYT or CNN, or WaPo, or, or, etc., are not biased. Please.
You forgot MSNBC.. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results