shape
carat
color
clarity

Already had my babies: safe to get an eternity band?

mort1980

Rough_Rock
I keep coming back to eternity bands...I love the look so much, and the fact that no matter how they twist and turn, they still look great from all angles. I've read a lot about sizing and that's a concern to me. But I'm 36, I've already had my babies (and WON'T be having anymore) so I'm wondering if it's a relatively safe bet that my finger size won't change at this point? I'm a rather sentimental person and this band will be a forever ring. I'd appreciate any advice or inside you have. Thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my late 40s and I wouldn't risk it. Too many reasons why your size might fluctuate.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a full eternity wedged onto my very swollen finger the day after our youngest was born. She is 6 today!

This ring, along with my plain wedding band, never come off. My engagement ring comes off at night. Two years ago I had my eternity re-built into a channel setting. Super comfy & strong. I am a sentimental old bugger, so if my ring size does ever fluctuate, I can swap it to my right hand ring finger, which is a size smaller, or simply have it re-built again! As long as it's on my finger :love:

I say buy one!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
There is a lot of individual variation in how fingers may (or may not) change in size over time. Of course weight gain and loss changes finger size, and only you know whether your weight is stable or not over the years. But some of us (I'm in this group) get thicker fingers as the years pass despite remaining at the same weight. In my case this seems to be because of arthritis which is not symptomatic at all. Meaning I have no pain or disability in my hands but I've been told from an xray that I have arthritis in all my distal finger joints. I assume that's also what causes my fingers to slowly get bigger even when I still weigh within 5 or 10 pounds of what I weighed in high school. It's a bit sad not to have size six ring fingers any more, like when I was 21. Now I'm 55 and it's size 7.5. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do anything about. My solution is not to have a full eternity but a seven stone. Many others have gotten full-ish eternity bands (all the way around but with a small sizing bar at the back). Good luck with whatever you decide. Probably you should just go for it!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your ring size has been relatively stable for a while then it wouldn't seem to be too risky to get one especially if you've wanted one for ages! you could always put sizing beads in if you change size drastically between summer and winter

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a for instance: I caught hand foot and mouth disease from my kids years ago. My hands quickly swelled up like water balloons and I had to go to the ER and they cut my rings off. (Simple solitare and band).

I'm only pointing out that sometimes things happen. The risk is up to you.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your ring size changes in 10-15 years, I'd say the ring had a good run and it's time to upgrade it to bigger ctw for next big anniversary :naughty:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I had my babies and went for it! I wear it every day and eternities are my favorite classy piece from jeans and tshirts to skirt and heels. Life is too short, so I figured just enjoy. My finger size has not changed but if need be I will worry later and have the diamonds reset, but I won't let worrying about that now be a thief to my present enjoyment of wearing my sparklies.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really hard to say. My original rings were size 4.5. At 20 years, I reset and had them made 5.25. Now at 27 years, I still wear them comfortably, but I when I bought a new 7 stone last year, the online store had whole sizes, so got a 6 and its just a little roomy.
I wish I could give a definite answer, but our bodies all age differently. Maybe see how your mom's an aunt's or older sister/cousin's hands aged?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been married a long time. I've got 4 kids. My ring size hadn't changed, but my knuckle has. I'm able to wriggle on my eternities over ny knuckle, but just an extra 1/4 size would have made this much easier. LOVE eternities!! Had my 7 stone converted to a full eternity last summer. I'm so happy with it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings stayed the same size for 25 years. I didn't start gaining weight until hormones and metabolism started changing beginning in my late 40's. My original size was 4.75 and my ring size is now 5.5. I do have a full eternity now because my weight is stable and I need to lose some! But I don't think my ring size will change enough to cause a problem. You either have to enjoy a full eternity now knowing that you may have to replace it again later, or have one made with a small sizing area. My daughter had one made and there is an engraved section about the size of two diamonds at the base. You don't even notice it if the ring turns around on her finger.

mort1980

Rough_Rock
I like that idea! I went ahead and asked my mom and grandmother and they both said that their ring sizes changed drastically over the years just because their knuckles got bigger and more pronounced. That makes me think that it might not be a good bet for me... But I love the idea of just a small sizing area so that I can make it bigger in the future if needed.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I bought one about a decade ago. Because of the width I went up a quarter of a size. I also selected one that was machine set and channel set. No prongs to worry about and no maintenance to either. Camelot bridal mine is in White gold.

camelot.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A small sizing bar (with engraving to mask it) is a good solution. I have many many bands, and love them all, but I do appreciate the ease of an eternity - never having to adjust it to sit up perfectly straight, and the consistent view from all angles.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did / does your ring size change significantly with weight fluctuations? If this is generally the case, an eternity without a sizing bar might not be ideal for you. I have always gained a lot of weight during pregnancies, but my ring size never changed. I got an eternity 7 years ago and was able to wear it through 3 pregnancies and after... If I ever were to upgrade in the future, I'd consider sizing beads inside the ring for the possible arthritis /bigger knuckles problem later in life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results