shape
carat
color
clarity

Help selecting wedding band

cafecnleche

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My fiance and I have been engaged since early last year and are finally coming up on the big day in a few months. We're very excited! Among all of the wedding planning items, one I definitely want to get right is the wedding band. It's something I hope I'll wear for the rest of my life.

My fiance worked with Victor Canera to make my engagement ring (photos attached), which is a 1.5ct H VS2 round with a thin (~1.5mm) rose gold pave band. I love it. I'm now looking for a similarly delicate (though not exactly matching) wedding band. I'm also trying to work around the small donut on the engagement ring.

I've found the attached image of a band I like, but wanted to get your group's thoughts on a couple of questions:
[*] What words would you use to describe this type of band? I'm trying to search for other images of similar rings but having limited luck. From what I can tell, this is a thin eternity semi-bezel ring, but let me know if there are other descriptors that fit better.
[*] Who might you suggest to make this type of band? I love the workmanship of my engagement ring and want something similarly delicate, and carefully made. I fear that a CAD ring might look overly bulky next to it, though when I wrote to Victor he suggested that that might be the best route for this sort of design.
[*] How do you imagine this band might sit next to my engagement ring? I'm hoping the little notches between the stones might create a little breathing room for the donut, but would love if anyone has any images of similar combos or opinions on how they might complement each other?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

victor_engagement_ring.jpg

victor_engagement_ring2.jpg

wedding_7.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the Tiffany jazz ring - it's really delicate in real life. Your ering is gorgeous!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash has a version of the Jazz (I have it, it's in my avatar photo), called the Danielle. It's not semi-bezel, but rather very small, delicate bezels on each 1 pt. ACA stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/danielle-jazz-bezel-diamond-right-hand-ring-174.htm It's a fraction of the cost of the Tiffany band.

I think the image you shared looks kind of like the Memoire single prong bands: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/memoire-jewelry/rings/06YY1/

The thing I'd caution is that you're not going to want diamond girdles touching the doughnut on your engagement ring or the diamonds on the shank (what you called the "band" is the shank of the engagement ring). You may want to plan to get a delicate spacer if you get a diamond band to wear next to your ring, anyway.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, the ring is really really nice. IF you find it, please come back and share where it is from!

cafecnleche

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all these suggestions!

Love the Brilliant Earth ring in particular (especially given the donut on my e-ring!), as well as the Tiffany Jazz and the Whiteflash replica. That said, they're not exactly what I had envisioned - my engagement ring is 1.5mm wide, and I wanted the wedding band to be the same or narrower. All of these seem a bit wider?

After rubybeth's suggestion that maybe the picture I shared is a bracelet not a ring - I did some more searching and found another picture (attached). I'm pretty sure it is a ring, though I'm definitely not positive! It's also possible that the ring is still thicker than I was looking for. I may reach out to the couple to ask for further details...

Since I may need to pursue other avenues, also did some more searching and came across this ring - http://www.brilliantearth.com/Shared-Prong-Eternity-Diamond-Ring-%287/8-ct.-tw.%29-Rose-Gold-BE2SD32R100/... It says it's a "shared prong" eternity ring - do you know how this differs (if at all) from a pave ring such as this one from Victor - https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/bands/u-cut-shallow-type-single-cut-pave-eternity-band ? Do you know of anyone who might be able to make a very delicate shared prong ring that is 1-1.5mm wide, and 1mm thick?

img_5112.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got an email today that JamesAllen has 25% off for pre Valentine's Day sale - need coupon code. See if they have a bezel band you like. As for the pave band, for something thinner I'd prefer handforged and go back to victor for that.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
A 1-1.5mm ring is not a good idea, especially with diamonds in it, at only 1mm thick. :-o It's not going to be sturdy at all. I'd be extremely surprised if Victor was able to make one that thin and stand by its quality. If you want a super thin ring, expect that it will break or eventually you'll lose stones. We recommend 2mm at a minimum for rings with diamonds in them, or that you plan to take off the ring for most activities.

Shared prong and pave are different in how the stones are set. Shared prong means the prongs hold two stones (on either side of the prong) and pave means much smaller prongs and the stones are set into the metal--in other words, shared prong rings are going to have the stones set higher, so the ring will be thicker than a pave band where the diamonds are set down into the metal. I think shared prongs next to your setting may be problematic, as would the Memoire ring (single shared prong) I linked, because of the diamond girdles next to your ring. You'd need a spacer between or the stones could rub on your engagement ring and scratch it (or worse). A pave ring that matches in width made by the same designer would be my recommendation, and get a 1mm cheap spacer to wear between to protect both rings. Or the bezel style, because the stones would already be protected from each other (the bezels around the girdles would protect both rings).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results