carat
color
clarity

The Trumpet 1-15-2017

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/betsy-dick-devos-family-amway-michigan-politics-religion-214631

Lyrics by ABBA:

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha aha
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
It's a rich man's world

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the Sunday Scottish Herald tv guide

inauguration.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mat...did Trump invited you to his inauguration?... :bigsmile:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1484511766|4115530 said:
:-o
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/betsy-dick-devos-family-amway-michigan-politics-religion-214631

Lyrics by ABBA:

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha aha
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
It's a rich man's world

I don't understand how they can consider themselves Americans. We have separation of Church and state, I hate that any of my money goes to charter schools, my sister was in special ed in a supervisory capacity for years and she said charter school do not have to go by the rules of the state and the educational level required of a state school of a teacher, there is no union, she also said that a lot of her teachers started in charter schools, which pay less than a public school. The teachers then get experience and leave. I find it deplorable that the rich run this country,and now our schools in the USA. It will be a fascinating 4 years (if he makes it that long).. there is no room for religion in a public school or a publicly funded charter school. And Amway, meh.. when I was young I considered anyone who invited me to a party to get me to join wasn't a friend, but a foe, I work, she gets money off my work, it's a pyramid. It's deplorable :)

(edited to make sense :) )

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeVos. She's a horror.

I can't read but the merest bits about her. She is worse in a way, than Trump. A true believer in every sense of the word. And allied with willing forces in states like mine, will ram both religion and segregation down our throats. At the current time in Oklahoma, the massive hollowing out of public education is already well on its way, thanks to a legislature and governor who are utterly dedicated to destroying the tax base (Mary Failin' and crew are currently trying to fund education with a tax on tattoos and cigarettes. No, I'm not kidding), then doing lots of hand-wringing about the massive shortfall, then per the long plan, in sweep the charters to supposedly save us, while funneling what little monies are available, away from comprehensive publics, and to themselves.

Statewide, last number I heard was roughly 1200 emergency certs for teachers, since the veterans, especially in the 10-20 year range - the most effective range, the most experience without being burned out yet - are gnawing off limbs to leave the abysmal pay and more abysmal working conditions. And what do you need for an emergency cert, for the lick and stick, you ask? Are you upright and do you have a pulse? Done! You're a teacher!!!

It's so bloody depressing. I love ya Matata, I do, but I can't take reading about her right now. It's just more of the horror that this next 4 is likely to be. The damage will be extensive and hard, maybe impossible, to unravel.

One good thing for the rest of the country though, is that Mary Failin' failed to snag a spot in the Trump admin. You don't know how lucky you are.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1484524654|4115579 said:
Statewide, last number I heard was roughly 1200 emergency certs for teachers, since the veterans, especially in the 10-20 year range - the most effective range, the most experience without being burned out yet - are gnawing off limbs to leave the abysmal pay and more abysmal working conditions. And what do you need for an emergency cert, for the lick and stick, you ask? Are you upright and do you have a pulse? Done! You're a teacher!!!
That might not be bad at all, depending on the educational level of these "emergency" teachers. I know several displaced-worker older engineers in their 50s and up who were forced out of their corporate engineering jobs by mergers and offshoring. Several became teachers. Their educational level is far beyond what the typical education majors would have taken in college, which is essentially not more than high-school level. These older workers are snatched up to teach computer programming, math, chemistry, biology, and physics, and they can bring decades of actual workplace experience into the classroom and hopefully cut the crap and inspire students to enjoy those subjects more. Generally the kids who are interested in math and science are not people who have learning difficulties, so there's not a whole lot of need for all that education theory that the ed majors got.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1484527826|4115583 said:
That might not be bad at all, depending on the educational level of these "emergency" teachers. I know several displaced-worker older engineers in their 50s and up who were forced out of their corporate engineering jobs by mergers and offshoring. Several became teachers. Their educational level is far beyond what the typical education majors would have taken in college, which is essentially not more than high-school level. These older workers are snatched up to teach computer programming, math, chemistry, biology, and physics, and they can bring decades of actual workplace experience into the classroom and hopefully cut the crap and inspire students to enjoy those subjects more. Generally the kids who are interested in math and science are not people who have learning difficulties, so there's not a whole lot of need for all that education theory that the ed majors got.

Did you not read the part about being upright and having a pulse? That's a pretty big "depending on educational level". Your singing the praises of math-y and science-y things is only geared to the higher grades, number one. Number two, workplace experience, along with military experience, is NOT experience in dealing with children and confers no abilities whatsoever in that area. Number three, lots of experience or higher ed classes in engineering or IT or math, doesn't mean that person is actually educated, gives a single damn about knowing anything outside of his narrow focus, or has the ability to pass on knowledge to another human. I had some smart yet massively ineffective profs in college. Great big brain, great big fail when dealing with breathing humans. Engineers typically are not the best at dealing with people - it's why they went into engineering in a lot of cases. They're also not having to sell something, and selling is what teachers do. Teach like your hair's on fire. (Yes, I said that for any teachers who read this.) And just because you say it, doesn't mean kids get it. It doesn't matter what you say, it matters what they hear, so you'd best be able to twist it several different ways if you plan to get through to more than just the kids who learn and think exactly like you. Oh, and you get to do that for 32,000 a year.

Finally, your saying that the kids who are interested in math and science are not generally people with learning difficulties, so a washed up engineer won't need to know how to actually teach, means you know on some level that teaching smart privileged kids at the tail end of the bulk of their 12 years in school, is easier than teaching kids with large challenges. That's pretty much exactly why emergency/alternative certs are not exactly a panacea.

Basically, you are merely one of the outsiders who has swallowed the koolaid that anyone can teach, without any real insight or understanding of teaching, and the real problems out there.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1484527826|4115583 said:

I don't understand exactly what you are saying.. is it that laid of engineers make good teachers so there isn't a need for education majors? Why is an engineer's gone far beyond the typical education major? My sister had 2 masters and was close to her finished PhD when she retired. Years of education, and she was never offshored or laid off.

If you are saying that laid off people with bachelors/masters would make good teachers, maybe so.. I read that Walmart will be laying off 1K people at their headquarters..

Being a teacher is underrated and very very much underappreciated

Having a rich, religious woman in charge of education at the national level is appalling to me.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some teachers are great and some are just sh*t same as any other field. I don't worship teachers but I appreciate the ones that take their job seriously.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1484549051|4115636 said:
Some teachers are great and some are just sh*t same as any other field. I don't worship teachers but I appreciate the ones that take their job seriously.

I think most take their jobs quite seriously but burn out for various reasons.

E B

Ideal_Rock
trumppreinaug.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results