shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Motivation

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have noticed lately that there are so many designs both modern and antique and large and small and I am also changeable about spending money on jewelry now and think the motivation to obtain more has gone. I feel I am only interested now in sentimentality of jewlry. It is funny because I was wondering if anyone else here is feeling or starting to feel that way. I came on to post this and just before read a thread about someone got their upgrades and now wants to recut a shallower original engagement ring and my first thought is 'don't do that, don't touch it', the sparkle from great cut now seems to me to be a separate category from the other of sentimental and they don't need to meet in my mind now.

Maybe I am just getting old now or fed up with it all. I just know there is more in the world than getting all the jewelry I used to want.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Interesting topic! Jewelry for me is entirely sentimental. I rarely buy jewelry for myself just to buy it - maybe a piece of costume jewelry, but even that's rare. If I do purchase something for myself, it usually has a functional or sentimental value attached to it. I purchased small diamond studs because I needed something for my 2nd and 3rd holes that I could wear all the time without causing infections and wouldn't clash with anything (and yes, I realize it's a luxurious stretch to call diamond studs "functional"). My right-hand ring I purchased myself but for a few different sentimental reasons. I also had a DBTY bracelet I purchased for myself for "functional" reasons of wanting a nice everyday bracelet. I unfortunately lost that bracelet though, which I'm still upset about...but the upside is that there was no sentimental value to that piece so I'm not torn up by it the way I would have been otherwise.

The large majority of my jewelry are things I received as gifts or possibly a unique piece I bought on a trip. Wearing them reminds me of the person who gave it to me, makes me feel close to them, or takes me back to the trip I was on when I bought it. I rarely change out my jewelry which is sometimes a struggle for me. Since I place so much sentimental value in my jewelry, I want to wear them all. But I can't wear all my jewelry at once without looking crazy. I'm trying to make more of an effort to change out my jewelry this year so I can wear more pieces.

The sentimentality I place on things is also the crux of my current struggle. A part of me would like a more decorative halo in my e-ring because since joining PS, I've seen all sort of unique and interesting halos that I didn't even know were possible when I got engaged. A more decorative halo is definitely more "me". But, I'm having a really hard time thinking about changing my e-ring at all. Even though it was something I completely choose and designed (so I don't have fears of him thinking I don't like what he picked out), I'm struggling with whether or not I really want to change the ring I was proposed to with.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally for me, it's about sentimentality at this stage of my life. Six weeks after I met my husband (then boyfriend), which was 11 years ago, it was my Birthday & he bought me a .40 ct diamond pendant on a platinum chain. It totally blew me away that he even noticed I never took my small diamond studs out (.35 ct each ear) that my parents bought for my 25th Birthday & that I wore no other jewellery. I never took that necklace off apart from to clean.

Fast forward to my 40th Birthday & he surprised me with a beautiful .75 ct solitaire pendant to 'replace' the small one. I wore this one instead for over a year, but last year found myself hankering after the sentimental small pendant, the feelings that it evoked & the 'journey' we had been on together, through thick & thin, childbirth & adventures. So my .75 sits in its box & apart from cleaning, the .40 hasn't left my neck since around June of last year :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sentimental at all.
What turns me on is the physical/optical qualities of diamonds, especially what a well-cut one can do with light.
It's like a little marvel that you carry around with you.
You never know when you'll be surprised by a blast of yellow, emerald green, or scarlet.

To me the jewelry itself is an annoying and unfortunate necessity that only keeps the diamond in place.
Maybe that's why I pick naked tension settings of non-precious metal which lets me spend more on the diamond.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps I may feel differently when I have ticked all the boxes on my jewellery wish list, however it will be a long while until I do, therefore I shall enjoy the ride.

Just need to find some pennies to fund my habit.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am old and yet not sentimental about my jewellery (except for a few select pieces from my grandparents). However, I am done with future jewellery purchases, given my current collection and will enjoy wearing what I own.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm of "use things, love people" mindset. Jewelry gives me aesthetic pleasure so sparkle, design, fit and finish are all important. My sentimental thoughts and feelings are reserved for experiences with loves ones, not jewelry.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My motivation behind it has always been "because I like sparkly sh*t" :lol: I have a lot that I dont wear too often, and some that I do. I have admittedly slowed down because of a number of reasons. Lack of good rough, and well, lets face, it, precious metals are kind of expensive and have been for a while.

I will likely do the zircon ring this year. Might as well. But it will also be the last for a very long time too. (unless I win the lottery, then all bets are OFF :appl: )

P

PierreBear

In the dating stage, my bf and now husband gave me a diamond pendant. Not sure what size but I surmise it to be 0.25 ct at most. I wasn't much of a fancy necklace girl so eventually we turned it into matching stud earrings. Though it was bought at Zales, I do find joy in wearing them now. It was the first piece of jewelry that he ever bought for any woman and now I'm the lucky one to be his wife. Now though for fancier pieces like e-rings and upgrades, I am more particular. Perhaps it's because I have the sentimental earrings already? I think you are right though that we all change philosophy or preferences over time.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I've learned over the past few years is that I wear very little jewelry on a regular basis. That realization is shaping my jewelry purchases - irrespective of how much it costs, I don't want to buy jewelry that spends almost all of its life in the safe. There are a few things I'd like to add to my collection, but the days of buying things just because I can afford them and they're pretty are pretty much over. And yeah - there are quite a few things in my collection that I should be selling off. :wink2: Sentiment doesn't influence what I choose to wear and when very much, although it does influence what I hold on to vs. what I'd be willing to part with.

But I still love looking at beautiful jewelry, and I'm still fascinated by beautiful colored stones!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1484510005|4115521 said:
So I have noticed lately that there are so many designs both modern and antique and large and small and I am also changeable about spending money on jewelry now and think the motivation to obtain more has gone. I feel I am only interested now in sentimentality of jewlry. It is funny because I was wondering if anyone else here is feeling or starting to feel that way. I came on to post this and just before read a thread about someone got their upgrades and now wants to recut a shallower original engagement ring and my first thought is 'don't do that, don't touch it', the sparkle from great cut now seems to me to be a separate category from the other of sentimental and they don't need to meet in my mind now.

Maybe I am just getting old now or fed up with it all. I just know there is more in the world than getting all the jewelry I used to want.

Hey Pyramid! :wavey:
Not sure if this is in reference to my post in RockyTalky or not... Anyway, it got me thinking...!
DH says he 100% has no problem with recut. However, there is a piece of me that feels like even if I get a recut and it's physically partly the same stone, it won't be entirely the same stone. In an attempt to figuratively "measure twice and cut once", I browsed the recommended diamond dealer sites online and found a new MRB with almost the exact same specs as my original e-ring stone. After a talk w/ DH, we decided to purchase it, compare the two side by side, as possibly move forward with setting them as-is into diamond studs. So, now I will have 2 diamonds that are not the best cut (collective PS GASP!), BUT my original e-ring diamond will be remaining 100% intact...(at least for now). My wedding set I'm wearing now is all OECs and transitionals, and I don't have any ideal MRBs for them to visually "compete" with, so to speak. I can always recut later if I desire, and we have 30 days to decide to keep the new, similar stone.
Maybe this is a very abnormal move for a PS-er...IDK. I'm usually in the "use things, love people" mindset that baby monster mentioned, but a recut, once done, is done. And I want to be 100% sure!
Thank you for your input, whether or not it was in reference to me! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results