shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Aquamarine

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I ordered an aquamarine based on the video I saw of it, in which the stone sat on a white jewelry box and spun on a platform, on the vendor's web site. It looked really beautiful. After I ordered the stone the onsite video was removed, which is understandable. But then I saw the stone in a video on YT. It doesn't look so good. It seems to have black corners and not as much color or sparkle. It is possible Jeff recut it for the video I saw on his site.

The stone hasn't arrived yet.

What do you think of it? Thanks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIcf_DVT2o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to say without seeing the original video you viewed. I wouldn't worry too much about the dark tips since it looks fairly small and is at an acceptable level (contrast brilliance), aquamarine has low RI and isn't super sparkly but it looks very sparkly in this video due to the cutting. I do agree it is extremely pale in this video.

yes, pale but very sparkly. looks fantastic to me.
but i don't understand - you bought the gem and it still sells on YT?

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Jeff very kindly sent me the one I originally saw. It is so much better.
https://youtu.be/eL-2WFEuCBc

Norman, I think the video I posted earlier is just showing the stone. I don't believe it says it is for sale.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks the same to me (accounting for the different style of moment). If you pause the video when the aquamarine is facing you directly, you will see that the colour is pale but the stone is cut brilliantly.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Isn't that funny Chrono, I love the last video. If I'd have seen the other video first I wouldn't have bought this stone. I see more color in the last video. Granted it's just a tad more. :D

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful aqua, Elizabeth! I'm wondering if this one was cut from the same rough as mine. I bought a cushion aqua from Jeff at the end of November and it's pale like yours, although I think yours leans a bit more green.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to see your Cushion Aqua Irishgrrrl. Can you post a pitcture of it?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautifully cut stone. I prefer aquas on the greenish side as I am seeing so many that just look blue. I bet this is pretty IRL too.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure will! It's in the shop right now getting a few adjustments, but I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll post lots of pics then! Meanwhile, there are a few in my recent thread here in the CS forum if you want a sneak peek! :D

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, Elizabeth! I don't mind at all! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results