shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriend and I are changing our minds too much...

95viper

Rough_Rock
FYI - There is a 1.11 H VS1 in the Pre-Loved forum within budget. Maybe worth a look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
95viper|1484087890|4114140 said:
FYI - There is a 1.11 H VS1 in the Pre-Loved forum within budget. Maybe worth a look.

His budget was including a setting, so I don't think that would work unless she would want the plain solitaire setting with that stone.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
If you are going to upgrade soon I suggest going with the most basic setting. It can't be reused if you are jumping from a .82 carat to a 1.5 carat anyway.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the preloved suggestion! I am going to buy from WF because of their excellent upgrade policy otherwise I would snatch that one up.

So I upgraded to the I color 0.92. But now I'm thinking I should go for an H color 0.93. It's 1,000 more. Is it worth it? Tax return is on its way. Is an I very tinted? I want her to be able to show it off at work and with her friends.

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Also WF has said they will just charge to change out the head of the setting

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Ok either upgrading cooor to an H (same carat size as the 0.92 I) or keeping I and upgrading to 1.03 ct. Same price increase of about 1000. What would you do?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so colour and size seem to be increasing with every post! Since you plan to upgrade in only a year to the 1.5ct level have you considered missing a step, saving for a bit longer and just going for that off the bat? That might even save you a bit of cash if you don't have to pay to set the second diamond? Just a thought.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SQ809|1484485821|4115444 said:
Ok either upgrading cooor to an H (same carat size as the 0.92 I) or keeping I and upgrading to 1.03 ct. Same price increase of about 1000. What would you do?

I would probably go with the 1.03 I. That will help you figure out your color tolerance for your next upgrade...if "I" is just fine or
you feel like you need to go higher...you'll know either way. In the mean time you get a 1 carat stone. While it may not be a lot
bigger than the "H" there is something very satisfying to be able to hit the 1 carat mark.

However, if you think you might be sensitive to color in any way, the smaller H might be the way to go.

ACAs face up very white due to their excellent cuts (or maybe I should say Ideal cuts)...usually people see the tint when viewing
the side of the stone and not so much from the top. Color sensitivity vary though.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1483973731|4113733 said:
Personally, I do NOT think the Felicity without pave is too thin. My 14K ring is below 2mm and I'm on year 23! Other people's experiences may differ, but I can only speak about mine.

I have that exact setting and have been wearing it as a right hand ring (am right handed too) with no problems although the bottom of the shank is scratched up after two years.

20141207_105921.jpg

SQ809

Rough_Rock
That is beautiful, wow. So tough to decide. I don't know. We definitely plan to upgrade (I might even spring for it this summer for her birthday), so I might just get the H to be safe color wise. Nothing is going to look small since her hands are petite. I'd rather there be no chance of her seeing a tint

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
If you plan to upgrade in a mere 5-6 months why are you buying a ring now? Why not spend the next 5 months researching every option and get one then? Then you can get the higher colour and bigger size straight away...
If you are desperate to propose now you could use a plain gold band instead or just propose and tell people you are researching the ring or just wait to propose. The summer is going to be here before you know it anyway and won't it be nice for her to get the 'big deal' ring right away. Instead of showing off the one you get now and then saying to people in a few months 'actually this is my ER now...'. Once she is engaged people will stop looking at the ring after a while... the fun bit is showing the ring off when you state you are engaged and if you do that with an interim ring she won't get to do that with the upgrade..
I just doesn't make sense to me to go to all this effort when you are only going to change it anyway, bit different if you had in your mind a 5 year upgrade but a 5 month on!? Take the time to research what you really want to get her instead

SQ809

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the question. It's rather personal, but someone in her immediate family is terminally ill and it is not looking like he has 5 months. Legitimate question though, it's important to my girlfriend that it happens sooner than later.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SQ809|1484516555|4115556 said:
Thanks for the question. It's rather personal, but someone in her immediate family is terminally ill and it is not looking like he has 5 months. Legitimate question though, it's important to my girlfriend that it happens sooner than later.

I'm sorry for the circumstances but it makes sense why you want to do it now. I think I'd go with the 1.03 I color and as tyty said, at least it will determine your color preference since you'll be upgrading very soon. I doubt any of her friends have super ideal stones so I'm sure the sparkle will blow them away and they will not be focused on the color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results