shape
carat
color
clarity

If ACA is repealed what will happen to millions of Americans

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-gop-clears-key-hurdle-obamacare-repeal/story?id=44726333

Senate Republicans cleared an important hurdle early Thursday in the legislative process to repeal the Affordable Care Act, capping off a marathon seven-hour voting session by passing a budget resolution.

It was a key step for Republicans as they move to undo major parts of President Obama's signature health care law. The 51-48 vote came down mostly on party lines and paves the way for a vote on a repeal bill that could come as early as next month. Passage of the measure clears the way for the GOP to pass final legislation with a 51-vote simple majority, instead of the 60 votes required for most legislation. Republicans currently control the Senate with a 52-seat majority.

Vice President-elect Mike Pence tweeted out congratulations to his fellow party members on Capitol Hill, calling it a "first step to repeal/replace Obamacare."

The resolution is a blueprint that will now be sent to committees, instructing them to write a budget with certain parameters.

“This resolution will set the stage for true legislative relief from Obamacare Americans have long demanded, while ensuring a stable transition in which those with insurance will not lose access to health care coverage. This will allow us to move step by step on a new set of reforms, listening carefully to the advice of millions affected,” Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wy, Chair of the Budget committee said before the final votes.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt, ranking member on the committee, responded, “The passage of this budget resolution will allow Republicans to come back to the floor of the senate with a budget reconciliation package which will repeal the ACA with a simple majority, and if they do that 30 million Americans will lose their health care, with many thousands dying as a result."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer took to Twitter to blast the measure, saying tens of millions of Americans will lose their healthcare if the ACA is repealed.

The late-night session included a number of symbolic gestures. It was chance for Democrats to talk about the merits of the Obamacare law and to try to force Republicans to make uncomfortable votes. Democrats submitted more than 150 amendments that would have included rules such as letting young people stay on their parents health plans and keeping protections for Medicaid.

The Senate chamber turned feisty at points. Sanders, ranking member of the Budget Committee, yelled during one exchange, “I will yield to my friends if they will tell me now what their replacement is. How many of those 30 million people are going die, what’s your plan to cover them?”

In the end, all Democratic senators voted on the final passage from their desks, sitting and standing together in solidarity and each giving a line about why they were voting 'no.’ “Because there is no replacement plan!” many said.

One amendment that proved to be a flashpoint was a measure from five Republican senators to push back the date for lawmakers to complete legislative language to repeal the law. But shortly after 9:30 p.m., Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Rob Portman, R-Ohio, withdrew their amendment. It would have formally given committees more time to plan their Obamacare repeal. None of the dates are binding either way and the senators basically said as much when they withdrew.

"We realize that that is not a real date, that is a placeholder," Corker said on the floor. "We understand that everyone here understands the importance of doing it right, giving Tom Price the new HHS person the time to weigh in and help us make this work in the new appropriate way."

"We now have assurances from leadership that certainly is their intent, that this date is not set in stone, but in the fact the earliest that we can do it, but we can take longer and we believe that it might," Portman said.

If the amendment had passed, it would have illustrated Republicans' internal disagreement over how quickly to repeal Obamacare. The fact that the group withdrew the amendment saved party leaders some embarrassment.

Republicans also voted against an amendment to maintain protections for people with preexisting conditions. Republicans have repeatedly said that they would keep that protection in the final legislation.

Democrats brought up President-elect Donald Trump’s name throughout the night.

“He said today, ‘pharma gets away with murder,’ and he’s right!” Sanders exclaimed, referring to comments Trump made at a news conference on Wednesday.

But Democrats also simply ticked through -- and made speeches about -- parts of the law they believe in.

“In the Affordable Care Act we made sure contraception, preventive care services, health care screenings, mammograms were affordable and accessible and if we take that away these families are left without the basic care they need to survive. If you love women and you love your mothers and daughters and wives, please do not unwind the Affordable Care Act,” a visibly tired and emotional Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY, said late into the night.

In the end, not one amendment from either party passed, yet another reminder of the difficulty of getting to 60 votes in the closely divided chamber.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: If ACA is repealed what will happen to millions of Ameri

missy|1484222961|4114662 said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-gop-clears-key-hurdle-obamacare-repeal/story?id=44726333

Senate Republicans cleared an important hurdle early Thursday in the legislative process to repeal the Affordable Care Act, capping off a marathon seven-hour voting session by passing a budget resolution.

It was a key step for Republicans as they move to undo major parts of President Obama's signature health care law. The 51-48 vote came down mostly on party lines and paves the way for a vote on a repeal bill that could come as early as next month. Passage of the measure clears the way for the GOP to pass final legislation with a 51-vote simple majority, instead of the 60 votes required for most legislation. Republicans currently control the Senate with a 52-seat majority.

Vice President-elect Mike Pence tweeted out congratulations to his fellow party members on Capitol Hill, calling it a "first step to repeal/replace Obamacare."

The resolution is a blueprint that will now be sent to committees, instructing them to write a budget with certain parameters.

“This resolution will set the stage for true legislative relief from Obamacare Americans have long demanded, while ensuring a stable transition in which those with insurance will not lose access to health care coverage. This will allow us to move step by step on a new set of reforms, listening carefully to the advice of millions affected,” Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wy, Chair of the Budget committee said before the final votes.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt, ranking member on the committee, responded, “The passage of this budget resolution will allow Republicans to come back to the floor of the senate with a budget reconciliation package which will repeal the ACA with a simple majority, and if they do that 30 million Americans will lose their health care, with many thousands dying as a result."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer took to Twitter to blast the measure, saying tens of millions of Americans will lose their healthcare if the ACA is repealed.

The late-night session included a number of symbolic gestures. It was chance for Democrats to talk about the merits of the Obamacare law and to try to force Republicans to make uncomfortable votes. Democrats submitted more than 150 amendments that would have included rules such as letting young people stay on their parents health plans and keeping protections for Medicaid.

The Senate chamber turned feisty at points. Sanders, ranking member of the Budget Committee, yelled during one exchange, “I will yield to my friends if they will tell me now what their replacement is. How many of those 30 million people are going die, what’s your plan to cover them?”

In the end, all Democratic senators voted on the final passage from their desks, sitting and standing together in solidarity and each giving a line about why they were voting 'no.’ “Because there is no replacement plan!” many said.

One amendment that proved to be a flashpoint was a measure from five Republican senators to push back the date for lawmakers to complete legislative language to repeal the law. But shortly after 9:30 p.m., Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Rob Portman, R-Ohio, withdrew their amendment. It would have formally given committees more time to plan their Obamacare repeal. None of the dates are binding either way and the senators basically said as much when they withdrew.

"We realize that that is not a real date, that is a placeholder," Corker said on the floor. "We understand that everyone here understands the importance of doing it right, giving Tom Price the new HHS person the time to weigh in and help us make this work in the new appropriate way."

"We now have assurances from leadership that certainly is their intent, that this date is not set in stone, but in the fact the earliest that we can do it, but we can take longer and we believe that it might," Portman said.

If the amendment had passed, it would have illustrated Republicans' internal disagreement over how quickly to repeal Obamacare. The fact that the group withdrew the amendment saved party leaders some embarrassment.

Republicans also voted against an amendment to maintain protections for people with preexisting conditions. Republicans have repeatedly said that they would keep that protection in the final legislation.

Democrats brought up President-elect Donald Trump’s name throughout the night.

“He said today, ‘pharma gets away with murder,’ and he’s right!” Sanders exclaimed, referring to comments Trump made at a news conference on Wednesday.

But Democrats also simply ticked through -- and made speeches about -- parts of the law they believe in.

“In the Affordable Care Act we made sure contraception, preventive care services, health care screenings, mammograms were affordable and accessible and if we take that away these families are left without the basic care they need to survive. If you love women and you love your mothers and daughters and wives, please do not unwind the Affordable Care Act,” a visibly tired and emotional Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY, said late into the night.

In the end, not one amendment from either party passed, yet another reminder of the difficulty of getting to 60 votes in the closely divided chamber.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

A travesty, a hate of women, a hate of their fellow Americans. I'm ashamed to be an American today. We can fund veterans, we can fund wars, but we can't fund our own people in their health. Shame on republicans. Shame. Shame. Shame.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pre-existing conditions won't be protected. What a surprise. Yet another lie told.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1484237714|4114721 said:
Pre-existing conditions won't be protected. What a surprise. Yet another lie told.

Pish posh. Gotta break a few eggs and all. A small price to pay for me not having to pay extra and for weeding out the undeserving.

:rolleyes:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Who cares?
The rich voters are fine.

Screw anyone not rich.
Go make more money.
I did.

... IOW the Republican platform.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No Kenny, Don't you know Trump is looking out for all of us. What a joke.

The sad thing is many people that are going to be affected by this voted for him. I feel like the whole country is going backwards.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seriously we need to just END the entire health insurance industry.
It is nothing more than a money-sucking vampire.
Pay for all medical care the same way we pay for fire and police departments.
The T word, that's right, taxes.

Your house is on fire so you call 911 ...
Sir, calm down; I can't make out what you are saying.
No, I'm not ready for your address.
First I need your fire insurance policy number so we can verify you paid this month's premium.
"My number is 214 548 7548 77. And please hurry, my wife and twin babies are trapped in there."
Please hold, sir. ... (5 minutes listening to relaxing musak) ...
"Sir, I'm sorry your premium for January was not received by the due date.
Please hold.

Next, you are transferred to voice mail ...
This is your automated assistant.
Press 1 for fire
Press 2 for police
You press 1
Please try the following.
If you have water pressure use your garden hose to put out the fire.
If you have no pressure ask your neighbor if you can use their hose.
If these don't work put your head between your legs and kiss your @ss good bye.

Thank you,
Your government & Insurance Industry Lobbyist Inc.

Now, please hold if you'd like to participate in a brief survey.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good one Kenny :lol: Now wouldn't that be something! The police only helps those with "police insurance" :wall: :wall:

But then again I'm probably biased from living in Scandinavia, where we *do* pay for hospitals etc through the tax system. The system is expensive and inefficient, perhaps, but it is there!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Better yet, let's start an insurance industry for fire and police protection.
Just think how rich a few people, and many politicians, will get.

Apparently that's all that matters.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr that was one of the only good parts of obamacare but nothing is final yet.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K|1484242371|4114752 said:
ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr that was one of the only good parts of obamacare but nothing is final yet.

That and the keeping kids til 26. We shall see how this turns out.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1484243027|4114758 said:

Everyone also forgets that Obamacare got rid of the financial cap on treatment. There are people out there fighting cancer who will die if they have to contend with their insurance capping them off for treatment in the year.

Sigh.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1484246089|4114776 said:

Everyone also forgets that Obamacare got rid of the financial cap on treatment. There are people out there fighting cancer who will die if they have to contend with their insurance capping them off for treatment in the year.

Sigh.

Yes this is another one because my insurance had a lifetime cap of 2 mil. But all of these things cost big $ and that is where I falter because I do not trust the government to not go overboard with onerous requirements or not to get in bed with insurance companies.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1484246837|4114778 said:
House Cat|1484246089|4114776 said:

Sigh.

Yes this is another one because my insurance had a lifetime cap of 2 mil. But all of these things cost big $ and that is where I falter because I do not trust the government to not go overboard with onerous requirements or not to get in bed with insurance companies.
My aunt and uncle have a child with cystic fibrosis. Now, he's a miracle at the ripe old age of 35!! But, when he was growing up, my aunt and uncle were rendered completely broke with medical bills. They both worked and there were still times when they didn't have food. Thank God for the kindness of strangers! There were never Christmas presents unless provided by the church. Their rent made many times by friends and family. They were just trying to keep their son alive.

They had to file bankruptcy due to more than two million dollars in medical bills.

All pre Obamacare days, of course.

Who picked up that two million dollar bill? Who will pick it up now if they reinstate the cap?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1484249633|4114790 said:
My aunt and uncle have a child with cystic fibrosis. Now, he's a miracle at the ripe old age of 35!! But, when he was growing up, my aunt and uncle were rendered completely broke with medical bills. They both worked and there were still times when they didn't have food. Thank God for the kindness of strangers! There were never Christmas presents unless provided by the church. Their rent made many times by friends and family. They were just trying to keep their son alive.

They had to file bankruptcy due to more than two million dollars in medical bills.

Who picked up that two million dollar bill? Who will pick it up now if they reinstate the cap?
Mexico!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata|1484249801|4114791 said:
House Cat|1484249633|4114790 said:

Mexico!
:clap:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1484241530|4114740 said:

Completely agree that taxes should pay for healthcare; I pay about $500 in tax each year towards the health care system here in Australia and I know that if I ever do something stupid (like getting impaled by a fish) that I am covered for all surgeries required to get me fixed and it won't cost me a cent.

"A high tide will raise all boats"

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1484254759|4114823 said:

Completely agree that taxes should pay for healthcare; I pay about $500 in tax each year towards the health care system here in Australia and I know that if I ever do something stupid (like getting impaled by a fish) that I am covered for all surgeries required to get me fixed and it won't cost me a cent.

Sigh. Says it better than I could. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JO9eJ4tgw

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger|1484254948|4114825 said:

Sigh. Says it better than I could. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JO9eJ4tgw[/quote]

:lol: ksinger----you can always join the group who are moving in with jordy. Hey jordy, do you have room for me and my 4 cats?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Looks like I may need to build an extension, can everyone chip in with the manual labour? :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1484257333|4114841 said:
Looks like I may need to build an extension, can everyone chip in with the manual labour? :lol:

I can point, pick colors and screech, "FAAAAABULOUS!"

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Count me in Jordy. Sorry DeeJay and I aren't there yet, We missed our flight. We started talking to a couple Trump supporters and we'll you know how well that goes. I swear the drinking at the bar had nothing to do with our delay.

PS Can I please bring my little dog.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Jordy, do you have a one payer system?

If you have a health issue does it take you a long time to see a doctor.

There are two people on another thread who needed biopsies of their thyroids. One waited 9 months just to get into a doctor's office. Begonia, I believe. Is she from the US because that is a ridiculously long time? Another woman waiting a long time as well who I do not believe is from the US.

And as a diabetic that is what concerns me?

Also, about so many losing healthcare, that is exactly what was happening under ObamaCare. How many people can afford a $5,000 or more deductible or skyrocketing premiums. Many are forced into useless plans just to have something.

Under mine, I was paying out of pocket at an increasing rate. I had to put a lot of things off. So even though I had a so called policy I was actually losing healthcare as well because very few things were being covered anymore.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

LOL Kenny, by the way no perving while I am lifting heavy stuff without Mrs Jordy's permission :lol: :lol:

Callie, I think at this point the door is wide open and I may be stampeded PS'ers and their fur babies :mrgreen:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What with one thing and another, manual labor is not my strong suit anymore. But if you give me enough lead time my husband (and I when I'm not exhausted) are wicked good cooks, and he used to cook for crowds. So how 'bout we feed you worker types?

So, yeah, it's me, him and our black lab, Lump (or Doofus, Dog, Doggle, Black Beast of Endor, etc).

The queue is getting longer....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1484257841|4114843 said:
Count me in Jordy. Sorry DeeJay and I aren't there yet, We missed our flight.

Oh, let's just meet in San Diego and take my new little boat.

screen_shot_2017-01-12_at_1.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great plan Kenny!!!

Thank you Kenny and Jordy for keeping this place fun.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ruby59|1484258122|4114845 said:

Jordy, do you have a one payer system?

If you have a health issue does it take you a long time to see a doctor.

There are two people on another thread who needed biopsies of their thyroids. One waited 9 months just to get into a doctor's office. Begonia, I believe. Is she from the US because that is a ridiculously long time? Another woman waiting a long time as well who I do not believe is from the US.

And as a diabetic that is what concerns me?

Also, about so many losing healthcare, that is exactly what was happening under ObamaCare. How many people can afford a $5,000 or more deductible or skyrocketing premiums. Many are forced into useless plans just to have something.

Under mine, I was paying out of pocket at an increasing rate. I had to put a lot of things off. So even though I had a so called policy I was actually losing healthcare as well because very few things were being covered anymore.

No not at all, you can opt for private health insurance and get that tax back. The bonus of that is the health insurance covers non-essential stuff like dental and other elective procedures. It costs a bit more than the tax would but I have not opted for it as I am not worried about crooked teeth or plastic surgery.

Like I said any major illness, sickness etc is covered by what I am taxed and that's no issue with me. And if your injury/illness is serious enough then it gets seen to immediately by hospitals.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Thank you , Jordy.

Does everyone pay the same tax or is it based on income?

Is it manageable for the average family?

And to be clear, once you pay that tax, all doctor visits are free?

What about hospitals? If you need surgery?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ruby59|1484262734|4114868 said:
Thank you , Jordy.

Does everyone pay the same tax or is it based on income?

Is it manageable for the average family?

And to be clear, once you pay that tax, all doctor visits are free?

What about hospitals? If you need surgery?

1. Based on earnings, more you earn the more you pay (that's for all tax, not just what goes to healthcare)

2. Yes, $500 per year is what I pay and I do not even miss it knowing what I am covered for.

3. Yes, all doctor visits are free

4. Free surgery if it is critical. I had a bit of pig's tusk get jammed in my leg once during a hunting trip. All it cost me was the taxi fare home from the hospital and the 6 pack of beers for painkillers :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results