shape
carat
color
clarity

Made the buy on Push Present! Estimates on price?

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
Just pulled the trigger on the push present for my wife (with tons of help from the pricescope community!). We are having twins for our first pregnancy!

I know there are some professionals here and would like to see what you would estimate that someone would have to pay for a piece like this. I know it is very subjective and you don't have the specific details but would love some thoughts.

Set in 18K white gold, this elegant and fashionable white Australian South Sea cultured pearl ring features a clean 12.5mm pearl. The surrounding diamonds are G or H color and SI1 clarity (0.80Ct. TDW). The vertical measurement is approx. 1 inch.

_1534.png

_38857.jpg

whitegold-whitepearl-diamond-backview.jpg

whitegold-whitepearl-diamond-topleftview.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the twins!!

That's a weird question. Didn't you say it cost $2,800 in your other post?

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

Correct on the last post. I'm asking for estimates on value in hopes of getting some feedback.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Prices are subjective. Since you bought the ring with the thin shank, you may want to look into ring bumps...... Congrats on the twins.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a jeweler, just a lady who likes pearl jewelry but I'll take a stab at it, for what it's worth. As I mentioned, that ring wouldn't suit me personally, but I do think it's a very attractive piece, which certainly figures into how much someone would pay for it.

There is no standard pearl grading scale so "AAA" can mean vastly different things from different vendors. However, assuming the pearl quality is in line with the high gold percentage and decent diamond quality listed, I think $2,800 is reasonable for that ring. But, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it listed at $1,800 OR $3,800, either. As NL said, jewelry prices are really kinda all over the place. I guess they price things more at what they think they can get for them than on any formula based on the cost of the materials.

However, one way to roughly analyze the price and see if you're okay with it is to break it down into some retail prices for the component parts, add them up, then see what you paid for them putting it together into the finished piece, and see how it looks to you then.

Pearl Paradise is a huge, well regarded pearl company and their loose AAA South Sea pearl of the same size as yours is listed below at $800:

https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/shop-by-loose-pearls/products/loose-white-south-sea-pearl?variant=24655593927

That would leave $2,000 for the diamonds, gold, and assembly/artistry (not sure what to call that part of it). Now, if you figured up the carat size of the diamonds (.80 carat divided by 31 diamonds of the quality listed) and looked that up for a ballpark figure on that, then the wild cards left would only be the cost of the gold (maybe the seller could tell you the amount of gold) and the cost of putting the materials together into something lovely.

Another way to analyze the price would be to eye up similar rings online and see where yours falls in relation to them.

But, yeah, short answer, I think it is a gorgeous ring at a price that looks in the right neighborhood to me. Perhaps a jeweler will come along. I hope you post pics. We lurve pics! Congrats!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, I'm a little jealous that push presents weren't a thing when I was at that stage. All I got were some roses, which the cat shredded as soon as I got home from the hospital.

Ladies, I think we need retroactive push presents. Right? :naughty:

(Especially for the teenage years that followed. Hell's bells!)

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
LOL too funny about the cat! I do agree you should get retroactive presents, from fathers as well as grown children ha!

Thank you for going into detail on what to look for price wise. I really have a lot to learn when it comes to jewelry. I called today and American Pearl insured me they would have the ring here by Monday and they were very professional sounding. We shall see if that is the case. Pictures will definitely come along.

I found the ring online with 7-8mm Akoya for 900 dollars. I feel like the difference is large but so is the difference in a 12.5mm White South Sea and 7-8mm Akoya.

Do you ladies use anyone online to do estimates on the jewelry you have? I would like to have one done then add it to our insurance plan.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool ring. Nice present. Congrats. :appl:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jonrobinson84|1484184232|4114570 said:
LOL too funny about the cat! I do agree you should get retroactive presents, from fathers as well as grown children ha!

Thank you for going into detail on what to look for price wise. I really have a lot to learn when it comes to jewelry. I called today and American Pearl insured me they would have the ring here by Monday and they were very professional sounding. We shall see if that is the case. Pictures will definitely come along.

I found the ring online with 7-8mm Akoya for 900 dollars. I feel like the difference is large but so is the difference in a 12.5mm White South Sea and 7-8mm Akoya.

Do you ladies use anyone online to do estimates on the jewelry you have? I would like to have one done then add it to our insurance plan.

Why do you need an estimate? You know what you paid for it so that is the replacement cost. There's no point in getting one of those "inflated" appraisals, you will just pay a higher insurance premium. I usually just use the receipt for any piece I want to insure separately.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked Eddie if the will provide an appraisal? Pearl Paradise sends one with the jewelry you buy from them. If not ask your insurance company which jeweler in your area they would suggest you use. Most will give you a GIA graduate that they consistently see used by most homeowners in your area.

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
Thats a great idea NacreLover, I just sent out an email to AP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results