shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on ring quality and price

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
I am currently looking at 3 different rings for my wife. I have bought limited amounts of pearl jewelry.

I would love to know if the purchase price is in the right ball park for these rings. I have yet to find a large selection of rings in this style so I have been limited in suppliers. Thank you very much for any information!

http://www.americanpearl.com/catpg18r1.html

http://ec2-52-0-95-60.compute-1.amazonaws.com/South-Sea-Pearl-Diamond-June-Ring_33_collection_1611.htm

http://ec2-52-0-95-60.compute-1.amazonaws.com/South-Sea-Pearl-Diamond-Nova-Ring_33_collection_447.htm

virgo-a-white-south-sea-cultured-pearl-diamond-ring-2.jpg

aringblossom.jpg

aring7.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a printable size chart. The pearls you chose are 9,11,12mm. The 12mm pearl ring only has a 2mm ring shank. That is very thin. When you have a very large pearl on top of your finger, they have a tendency to roll to the sides because the ring is top heavy. Unless the ring shank is thick and covers more of your finger or the ring is tight on the hand , you're always tipping it back up.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ifd6cx99ixmavnd/AADEC6pMJ_SxV4PSxRFazVhla?dl=0&_ke=d2VuZHk4MzUwMUB5YWhvby5jb20%3D&preview=Pearl+Size+Chart+-+CLICK+to+View+and+Print.pdf

Edited to add. I would ask both vendors for light box photos of all rings you're interested in. Stock photos sometimes look nothing like the item you receive.. There have been reports on this forum that P.S. is very hard to work with if you decided to return the item.

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick reply!

I do believe the width is too narrow. I have requested actual pictures of the rings with no response so far.

Do you believe the price tag to be acceptable for the 2 lower priced rings?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The flower ring above has a price tag of $1,800 for a 9mm pearl, The ring they actually are showing you has a 10mm pearl installed according to the information. I thought the 10mm pearl looked a little small and out of proportion for the setting, but that is just me. I would want to see the actual setting with a 9mm pearl before moving forward and also the measurement of the shank width.
Is this ring to only be worn for special occasions? If so it will be fine, I don't see anyone wearing this as a daily ring even if they don't work. It's bulky and the larger diamonds set near the center are only held in place with TWO prongs each. One good knock and they are gone.
This gorgeous 18K white gold pearl ring is mounted with a beautiful 10mm AAA quality white south sea pearl with "Very High" luster (please see our pearl grading section for more information).

The $900 ring could be a every day ring and has nothing to catch on. The shank seems substantial and the diamonds prong set down into the channel. The ring comes with a 11mm white south sea installed for the price.

The Clara ring is very pretty, the shank is substantial and the ring comes installed with a 12mm pearl. The pearl is some what protected by gold and diamond ribs on the sides. I would wear this one daily, and the diamonds do look secure in the prong settings. $2300.00 seems fair for the pearl and diamonds . https://www.thepearlsource.com/South-Sea-Pearl-Diamond-Clara-Ring.html

I hope I was some help. P.S. I used to work at a custom jewelry store and people brought in designs that either didn't work for a redo or broke/ lost stones for repair. Some designs are doomed for failure right out of the box and just because you can think them up, doesn't mean they will work for the customer for long term wear with little to no repairs. This why I gave you the advise I did...

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here are my thoughts. They're backing up a bit from the specific question you're asking so please disregard if not useful to you. :)

First, you may want to start with the sticky at the top of the page with the list of approved online vendors, rather than going by the rings first. The list has been created by us pearl lovers over time, from our collected experiences with them. There is no standard grading system for pearls so you can't really know the quality of any particular pearl without seeing it, and those not familiar with pearls won't know if any particular pearl is a good deal or not even when they do see it. So it comes down to the reputations the vendors have earned.

Resale value for jewelry is abysmal anyway so personal preference is very important too, and jewelry preference is such an individual thing. For example, for me, the rings above would all be too much surround and too little pearl. I like a showy, knockout pearl of 15-16.5mm and what surrounds it is secondary. I would rather be consulted on expensive jewelry gifts because to me, to be honest, the generous, romantic gesture of a surprise is nearly always dampened by getting something that cost a lot of money that I don't really like. But maybe that's just me lol.

Another thought is to talk to one of the approved vendors for photos/help in selecting the pearl. If you order it undrilled, you can return it if she doesn't like it, and if she does like it, you can send it back for the vendor to drill. (You can get it in a beautiful gift box). Then consult local jeweler/s with her for help finalizing the setting design and getting price quote/s. Or, look around online for more pearl ring settings. Stuller, Bella, Rio Grande, etc. Although I think with Stuller, you'd have to have a jeweler order it for you.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@NacreLover- From your experience, do you think having a setting custom made by a jeweler would be a reasonable option in this rather large price range of $900-2,800 including the pearl?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Usually not. Not unless he has a bunch of old gold/platinum rings he wants to part with to help with the costs. Some jewelers will allow you to use 50% "clean" old gold in the creation of new cast items. Clean gold is items without solder in the manufacturing , Chains are bad, prong work or multiple sizing that has been done to the item. The solder rises to the surface of the cast item and makes the item looks like craters on the moon. Old men's rings are the best candidates as old gold.

As for the price, I spent that much just for the AAAA 11mm white south sea pearl I purchased as a lone pearl.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, NL. Interesting.

jonrobinson84

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the great advice! I wish there was an option for more of these style rings online. I really cant justify the cost difference between the least expensive and most besides the fact that I LOVE the high end ring. I would rather it have a wider shank than 2mm. Your conversations lead me to believe I need to do a lot more research before making any large purchases in the Pearl or jewelry market. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results