shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing metals - will platinum destroy 18k rose gold?

pricescopegal10

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting on here but I'm in need of some advice that's based on experience and knowledge. I have a classic Tiffany engagement ring. The band is plain and platinum. I absolutely love it and my fiance and I have begun our search for wedding bands. I really love 18k rose gold and I have been thinking of pairing my engagement ring with a plain band that is 18k rose gold. However, I have heard many people say that platinum will destroy the gold and that this isn't a good idea. I've also seen people on pricescope who wear platinum with rose gold. My question is for those people out there who wear platinum and rose gold together and if so, what are your experiences? Did the platinum mess up the rose gold? Since my rings would both be plain (no diamonds, pave etc.), would it be okay to wear the two metals together? Is it possible to buy a platinum band and have it dipped in rose gold and if so, what's that like and will it last? Thanks for any help, tips and advice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is fine to wear them together. Any gold rubbing against another ring will have some wear over time, even two gold rings. I always take my rings off if in the kitchen or doing anything that could scratch or cause excessive wear, and if you do that, you'll have rings that look nicer longer. But no, platinum does not destroy rose gold.

pricescopegal10

Rough_Rock
Thank you. That's kind of what I thought, but a jeweler told me not to mix the two but the cynical part of me thinks sheshe trying to push the more expensive platinum onto me lol...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
My E-ring is platinum and my wedding band is rose gold. No, my platinum ring hasn't "destroyed" my rose gold band :lol: In fact, I don't notice much damage at all - outside of the normal wear and tear that occurs with any jewelry.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Hi pricescopegal,
In my experience it won't destroy the gold band, but it will scratch the gold a lot, and could eventually thin it out.

For several months while working on my upgrade ring, I was wearing my platinum wedding band stacked with 2 14k white gold bands on top that had been freshly replated and polished. I noticed after only a week of wearing that way, that the gold ring sitting on top of the platinum ring had a lot of scratching on the side surface that touched the platinum band. Not a huge deal since it didn't impact the top of the band. I was wearing them to my office job and at home taking them off, so I wasn't doing a lot of labor with my hands.

However, I wore them this way temporarily. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this for a lengthy amount of time. The plat will eventually wear down the gold band. Gold doesn't displace like plat does. It literally wears off when scratched or bumped. You can see this on gold bands that have been worn for 20+ years, they thin out (unlike plat). In fact, I think my MIL told me at one point she had her jeweler add some gold to the back side of her gold band because it was so thinned from years of wear and was in danger of breaking/splitting.

Just some food for thought. Hope it helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results