shape
carat
color
clarity

My grandmother's engagement ring for the New Year!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all and Happy New Year!

My beloved grandmother passed away in March of 2016, and recently her beautiful engagement ring made its way to me, via my aunt. I never had a traditional E-ring, because my husband and I didn't really have the money to purchase a center stone (in 2009) - we chose an eternity band instead because I love the look and it was a more affordable option. I always said that eventually, when the opportunity arose and we had the money, I would make a nice set set with either a three stone ring or a solitaire.

I was extremely close to my Gram, and I was really overwhelmed to receive this ring. My grandparents met in the 4th grade and both passed away this past year months apart from each other, at ages 92 and 93. Their love story was EPIC, and I'm so happy to have the ring that symbolized such a great love. She had TINY fingers, so the ring is being resized, and there's a chip in the diamond, so it needs to be polished.

This is the only picture I have until it comes back to me, in about a month - the jeweler said it was somewhere between a .6 and .75 carat diamond, and I think it's perfect. My finger is a size 7 - here it is with my engagement eternity band, which is how I plan to wear it when it comes back from the jeweler's. I originally thought my band would overpower the solitaire, but when I put them together I really liked the way it looked. I am having it rhodium plated, because my eternity band is white gold, but I'm not changing anything else about it. I don't want a new setting, because I really want to wear it the way my grandmother wore it and loved it every day.

Thanks for letting me share this special story with you all :love:

image1-2.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

It's a beautiful ring and a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. Enjoy it for many, many years. :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful story!!!
It's a beautiful ring and extra special because of the meaning behind it. I love it paired with your band. Looking forward to see it on your finger once it is resized.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Godness, it looks so good with your eternity band. Beautiful ring and beautiful story.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear of your grandparents' passing. Their love story sounds so wonderful.

Your rings are going to look perfect together. A wonderful combination of yesterday and today. Enjoy them.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it's beautiful and I love it with your band! :love: What a wonderful way to remember your grandparents, and to keep their memory close to you. Please come back with more pics after you have it sized!

And I'm very sorry for your losses, (((hugs)))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a wonderful love story and the ring looks beautiful with your band. How special that you get to keep something from them with you all the time!

Please come back with pictures again once the ring rehab is complete!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing. That ring is perfect for you. Treasure every second it's on your finger. :appl: :appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
A beautiful story and they look perfect together!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your heartfelt story violet3. Your Gram's ring is lovely and looks wonderful with your band. I really like the yellow gold band with your band actually, it really sets off the stone. What a lovely way to honor your grandparent's love. My condolences on the loss of your beloved Gram.

VDK

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring, beautiful story!
Now you keep the sweet memory of your Grandparents and the diamond can be passed to many next generations as a true heirloom. It is a symbol of love ...forever.

Take good care of your family and your rings!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely story :love:

It's a beautiful ring & I can't wait to see it when it fits you properly!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry about the loss of your grandparents and what a lovely way to commemorate their life and love. Beautiful ring and beautiful story. I know you will cherish this ring. Thank you for sharing with us.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love hearing stories like this! I think it is a beautiful ring, and looks great paired with your diamond band. I wouldn't change a thing! How nice to look down at that stone and be reminded of the love your grandparents had for each other.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your Gram...but such a lovely story. Its so nice that you ended up with her engagment ring. It looks perfect
with your eternity!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Very nice! What a great story.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, Violet! I am so happy for you to receive her ring. What a treasure. May your own love story be as rich and full as your grandmothers was.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on receiving the ring, and I know you'll enjoy wearing it! It's lovely. :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful surprise! Your gma would be proud!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful love story and ring! Looks great with your eternity band, too! I'm sorry about your gram but it's so special that you have something so to look down at all the time and remember her by.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your losses.

The ring is just beautiful! It's a lovely soft shade of gold and I think the diameter of the diamond is perfectly in proportion with the band.

What a lovely story! For how many years were they married? There is definitely something special about wearing the item of a loved one that the person wore every day for decades. I have my mother's ring.

I'm very touched by the fact that you want to wear it the way she wore it. I bet she would love the fact that you wear it now. What a wonderful way to honor her memory and to remember her. Remember them both, really, since the ring was a token of their relationship.

Honestly, I'm almost in tears...! You are such a loving granddaughter.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the ring and history. Keep us posted with the changes.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your kind replies everyone!

I was very close to both of my grandparents - my mom's parents. My grandfather was the nicest man I've ever known, and my grandmother was a fearless matriarch from Wales. She was less than 5 feet tall, but she could command the respect of an entire room instantly. They had 6 children, and very little money as a result, so my Gram made every piece of clothing for all 6 kids, including underwear and bathing suits! My mom always told the story of when she got her first store-bought dress at 13 years old - it was very big deal. My Gram taught us all to sew when we were little - I was about 5 years old when she taught me to use a sewing machine.

They were such a great couple - I always imagined them like the couple in "The Notebook," how they passed away together in the night. My Gram passed away in March, and we all knew my Grandfather wouldn't last long without her. He died in July, peacefully, at home. Their love story was what movies are made of, and I am so honored that I got to witness what real love looks like.

I lost my mother suddenly in July also, so in a period of 4 months, my mother and both of her parents passed away. To say it has been a difficult time, is putting it mildly. I lost a huge portion of my family in such a rapid time, it made me feel like an orphan or just...lost, especially this holiday season.

The story of the ring is this...there were four "good" pieces of jewelry that my Gram owned. My aunt put each one in a brown bag, and let each of my aunts and uncles pick one at Christmas. Since my own mom had passed away, my sister picked a bag for our branch of the family, and she was the last one to pick. Inside the brown bag was my Gram's engagement ring, and my sister said she thought my Gram would want me to have it.

Over the course of the painful holiday and New Year, I put that ring on and off my finger (or half of my finger, because that' s all it would fit), and felt loved. I think in a way my grandparents were talking to me, helping me through it all. They always took special care of us grandkids...

If you're still reading, thank you for letting me share my story here - it helped to write it all down. This holiday season, I definitely believe in the power of true love and of angels in heaven sending us messages when we need it. I can't wait to get her ring back and wear it with my band.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1483583058|4112494 said:
I'm so sorry for your losses.

The ring is just beautiful! It's a lovely soft shade of gold and I think the diameter of the diamond is perfectly in proportion with the band.

What a lovely story! For how many years were they married? There is definitely something special about wearing the item of a loved one that the person wore every day for decades. I have my mother's ring.

I'm very touched by the fact that you want to wear it the way she wore it. I bet she would love the fact that you wear it now. What a wonderful way to honor her memory and to remember her. Remember them both, really, since the ring was a token of their relationship.

Honestly, I'm almost in tears...! You are such a loving granddaughter.

Thank you Jambalaya! I'm trying to figure out what year they were married so I can have it engraved in the ring before I get it back. I think it was somewhere between 71 and 75 years. My mom was born in 1949, and she was the third child of 6. They met in the 4th grade when she came over to the U.S. from England, and he knew immediately that she was "the one," or so he said :love: . They started dating in high school I believe. They were an amazing couple - I miss them both so much.

I may eventually add sapphires to the sides of it (they're my birthstone), but for now I really just want to wear it they way she did. She originally had a 1940s setting with a lot of metal around the diamond, but she had it changed to a solitaire because she liked the clean look of it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness Violet! ;( I'm so sorry about the enormity of loss and sadness recently in your life :(( I LOVE how this ring makes you feel their love and gives you comfort. It's a beautiful connection to your Gram. Wear it with the love it represents and the comfort it offers. All my best to you. :wavey:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1483640495|4112648 said:
Oh my goodness Violet! ;( I'm so sorry about the enormity of loss and sadness recently in your life :(( I LOVE how this ring makes you feel their love and gives you comfort. It's a beautiful connection to your Gram. Wear it with the love it represents and the comfort it offers. All my best to you. :wavey:

Thank you so much for the condolences, Bonfire. It's funny, I haven't been here for a while, because I haven't acquired much bling since getting married. As soon as I took the picture of my Gram's ring with my own, I thought "I should post this on PS," but I didn't realize how cathartic writing it all down would be. I've never been so happy in my life to say goodbye to a year as I was with 2016. Here's to a New Year in 2017.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful love story! I'm so very sorry for your losses, and hugely admire your strength at such a sad time. You sound like you are part of a wonderful, loving family. The rings look absolutely perfect together :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh violet, I am just so sorry about the loss of your family members! :(sad My heart goes out to you, how devastating and I am wishing you comfort, strength, and peace as you begin this new year. Thank you so much for sharing your story, your grandparents' love for each other is truly inspiring. I am so very glad you received your grandmother's ering, it will be such a source of comfort to you. (((HUGS)))

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Violet, I'm sorrier than I can say about your losses. You are young to lose your mom. Wow, that's really tough - and only four months ago! It took me three years to put my life back together when I lost my mom. I was utterly devastated and wouldn't wish it on anyone. My heart goes out to any and all motherless daughters. Hugs xxx

Know that it will get easier. It takes a lot of time, but the pain will ease eventually.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the classic look of the solitaire with your eternity ring - and my oh my such a special ring too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results