shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Antique/Vintage and Reproduction Rings!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
motacilla thank you for sharing more information about your ring!

It would be very interesting to compare the gold used in jewelry from different countries. It might help place the origin of vintage/antique jewelry.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
motacilla thank you for sharing more information about your ring!

It would be very interesting to compare the gold used in jewelry from different countries. It might help place the origin of vintage/antique jewelry.

BaubleLover

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm new here but share a passion and love for fine jewelry and gems. This is a ring I had reproduced using diamonds from my Great Grandmother's necklace which was made in the 1800's. I'm looking forward to see everyone else's treasures. :wavey:

jewelry6.jpg

jewelry3.jpg

jewelry1.jpg

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this ring after I fell in love with old cut stones (it is between an old mine and a european cut), but I didn't buy the associated band that went with it. I consider it my starter ring! Now I am keeping my eyes peeled for the perfect 2+ct european cut J colored diamond. I have been drooling over some of the ones other members have posted!

ringlove2.jpg

JulieKae

Rough_Rock
I will apologize for my photos of the top. I adore antique rings and jewelry and have amassed quite a collection in the past 20 years.
Here are a few - :)
the sapphire eternity is not vintage but stacks nicely with my french cut and other diamond ring
_dsc0001.jpg _dsc0009.jpg _dsc0002.jpg _dsc0006a.jpg _dsc0001_0.jpg _dsc0003a.jpg _dsc0006.jpg

motacilla

Rough_Rock
JulieKae, I really love your delicate bands! And you have found such a well preserved Orange Blossom one. Really nice collection :)

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
sorry newbie here- how do you put in pictures???

I have a my grandmothers Traub Orange Blossom wedding set- It's simple and so beautiful!

Thanks!

JulieKae

Rough_Rock
I was super excited to find this beauty (on ebay no less!) I love anything daisy and had to make it mine. diamond_daisy_ring.jpg

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Just posted this under a separate thread - didn't see there was a show and tell here!

My inherited Edwardian cocktail ring. Far too big for me!

img_20160205_220859847.jpg

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Antique Ceylon Star Sapphire ring.
2014-01-21_12.png
2014-01-21_12_0.png

Vintage cocktail emerald cabochon, ruby and pearl ring.
20150320_091149-1_1_.jpg
20150320_090208-1-compressor.jpg

:angel: :hand:

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Love this thread so much.

I need to add my two old but new to me baubles in here.

First up is an antique (Edwardian) diamond cluster in a floral pattern. Centre is antique cushion est. 1.25ct, K, halo is OMCs est.1.50tcw, H side stones are also OMCs, est 0.18tcw. Setting is platinum:

img_0618.jpg

img_0623_1.jpg

img_0607_0.jpg

img_0605_0.jpg

Vendor photos:

il_fullxfull_20.jpg

il_fullxfull_19.jpg

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Next up is an asymmetrical Art Deco (likely later period) ring, purchased from JbG. This is an elongated marquise (measures about 9.5mmx3.5mm inside the bezel), surrounded by french cuts, and the "swirls" and sides are OECs. I still need to get an appraisal, but it is very bright, white. Est. 2tcw. Setting is platinum:

image_4378.jpg

image_4379.jpg

image_4373.jpg

image_4372.jpg

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have great photos of this ring, but this is a Victorian ring. This was my great-great-grandmother's wedding ring. Five tiny OMCs set in 18k yellow gold. I never wear it as it is way too big for me (my ancestors had large fingers!) and it would need to be resized drastically which might affect it (though the shank itself is in great condition), and the prongs probably need a retip. It seems a shame and I often think of letting it go to another home but I like seeing it in my jewelry box :)

img_2173_0.jpg

img_2170.jpg

motacilla

Rough_Rock
RaiKai, your Edwardian cluster ring is gorgeous! Even though I prefer much smaller rings. But it almost seems to have an inner lamp :) And your ancestral ring is truly sweet, I wouldn't sell it, either, some things just matter because of the story.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
motacilla|1461093595|4021312 said:
RaiKai, your Edwardian cluster ring is gorgeous! Even though I prefer much smaller rings. But it almost seems to have an inner lamp :) And your ancestral ring is truly sweet, I wouldn't sell it, either, some things just matter because of the story.

Thanks motacilla...it definitely has a glow! Smaller rings are wonderful too (I just looked at yours on the prior page, lovely!) and I will have a couple of smaller sized and simpler vintage rings to post in the next few weeks. :twirl:

DanJ

Rough_Rock
Well not a ring but here is a 18K White Gold, Panjshir Emerald and Diamond Necklace and Earrings I picked up. Haven't decided if to resell or give to my GF. The seller claims it was purchased from the family of Mohammed Zahir Shah (The last king of Afghanistan)

received_10207398486978288.jpg

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock
My latest buy, a 1900 Birmingham 18ct gold ring :)

_3313.jpeg

_3314.jpeg

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
DanJ|1461258386|4022106 said:
Well not a ring but here is a 18K White Gold, Panjshir Emerald and Diamond Necklace and Earrings I picked up. Haven't decided if to resell or give to my GF. The seller claims it was purchased from the family of Mohammed Zahir Shah (The last king of Afghanistan)

received_10207398486978288.jpg

Oh, that necklace must look amazing when worn! Very interesting find! Have you decided what to do with it yet? (if I were your GF I'd have some suggestions... :naughty: )

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RaiKai I think I have a relative of your Edwardian ring :)

I joined last weekend but have only got around to posting. My boyfriend proposed with this Edwardian halo/cluster sapphire & diamond ring.
Platinum setting. 1.7 carat sapphire. Just over 1 carat diamonds (halo/cluster and shoulders).
My best photo at the moment, only taken with an iphone. It needs to be sent off to be sized so I will try to get better photos when it is done. :love: :love: :love:

img_1188__2_1.jpg

DanJ

Rough_Rock
Oh, that necklace must look amazing when worn! Very interesting find! Have you decided what to do with it yet? (if I were your GF I'd have some suggestions... :naughty: )[/quote]

I was just home for a couple day's and like you she had some suggestions :naughty: It has found a home with her collection

jankoluvsky

Rough_Rock
I always love vintage jewelry

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
LOOK AT THOSE EMERALDS!!!!!!!!!! Must be worth a small fortune! Give to a GF??? Maybe 25th anniversary wedding gift would be more like it! WOW, don't see emeralds like that any more. Nice purchase my friend! That would would be hard to part with, for sure..... :clap:

gaeila

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on what looks like a very nice piece. If you are fairly sure of its provenance, and you decide to sell it, you should probably check with the big Auction Houses, like Christies. (there aren't that many of them.) Any method you choose to get it appraised, you should bring every scrap of provenance you can think of--write down anything you can remember that was told you (and label it as such) along with any written provenance you might have received when you bought the piece.

Here's a photo of an Afghani girl adorned with jewelry. Look as closely as you can at the workmanship, especially of her hair ornament and her earrings. The style seems consistent with your piece. The emeralds on her wrists don't seem to be as nearly of as high quality as yours seem, though it's hard to tell for sure.
https://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=29YL539LIJX
(this not a commercial link. It's a 1969 photo of an Afghani tribal girl adorned in rather a lot of jewelry.)

I know emeralds pretty well (compared to most people, anyway), and if you could post some more pictures-- especially some close-ups and in both daylight and artificial light, I could probably tell you more about the likely value/quality of the necklace. Same goes for the workmanship. From the current photo, the workmanship appears nice, but not spectacular, like some of the best craftsmen of the Edwardian - Art Deco eras produced. A lot of any price realized would be due to both the provenance of the piece, and the value of the stones, especially the emeralds. Top emeralds are MUCH more rare than diamonds, and carat per carat, far more expensive, even with the DeBeer's artificially inflated monopoly prices. In fact, diamonds are quite literally the MOST common of the stones considered gems. Don't believe me? Check with the IGS (International Gem Society). Sadly, most women think a diamond engagement ring is an investment. LOL. As soon as you walk out of a jewelry store with a new diamond ring, its value plummets 90% or more. Just try reselling a diamond to a jewelry store.

The 4 C's count for emeralds, but usually Color comes first. Emeralds are a Type 3 gem, which means they have a different grading system than say, diamonds or Tanzanite (the latter is another of my areas. Diamonds, I don't much care about, unless they are in a really nice piece of vintage jewelry; Edwardian through Art Deco and all the transitions in between. Even then, I still care much more about the setting than any diamonds involved.)

Almost ALL natural emeralds have some kind of inclusions visible under 10x. Emeralds are not graded under a loupe; a VVS emerald is one that looks eye clean to the unaided eye. I should also mention that to be worth anything, an emerald must be mostly transparent. No matter how pretty the color of the stone, if it is opaque, it is NOT a valuable stone for jewelry. It is a paperweight. Hundreds of "natural emerald" paperweights can be bought on ebay for a very few bucks.

Because Afghanistan is such a war zone, mining has mostly stopped. For example, if someone tries to sell you a newly mined Kashmir sapphire, they are almost certainly lying. All the currently known Kashmir sapphires were mined 100 years ago, and are only in museums and private collections.

The only exception I know of is Emerald mining. Fairly recently, an American company began a partnership with Afghanis, to mine emeralds in a less battle-torn area, and so far, things seem to be going reasonably well.

Good luck on deciding what to do with your necklace. You really might want to get it appraised first, before deciding what to do with it. Personally, if it's really valuable, I wouldn't give it to a girlfriend (unless I was fabulously wealthy...) I would only give it to a spouse, including a pre-nuptial agreement that the necklace be returned, intact, in event of divorce. There's a small chance the thing is actually worth life-changing money.

I hope you post your decision about the necklace. I bet everyone who's seen it wants to know what happened. next!

gemgirl59

Rough_Rock
Trade
gaeila, thanks so much for posting some great info about emeralds...you have enriched my learning, answering several questions I have always had, especially regarding clarity! A bit of topic, but wouldn't the your comments about color vs. clarity and what makes one more valuable over another, apply to rubies (and many other gems, for that matter), as well? Rubies are so manipulated and enhanced, there is often not much ruby even in rubies sold now a days! Add to that confusion, the loosely used and deceptive descriptions, such as "natural", "genuine", etc., the public generally has no idea what a fine ruby is supposed to look like.....

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an Art Deco white gold filigree ring. It shows minor wear considering it's age. The shoulders of the ring become very narrow, which I think was a design choice. The shank of the ring is quite narrow and I think some of that is due to wear.

The ring
white_filagree_top.jpg

A clearer shot of the top of the ring
white_filagree_ring_clearer.jpg

The beautiful filigree work
white_filagree_side.jpg

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

This is my first vintage ring, it's a white gold illusion setting with wreath motifs and smaller diamonds on the sides. The center stone is a .5 OEC that might be way older than the ring.

I love seeing your beautiful jewels, please keep them coming!

img_15546.jpg

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Lovely rings all!
I have a huge soft spot for antique jewelry so he's my contribution... Most are deco or earlier.
In the first pic, there's a victorian French 18k uranium glass ring. The top is platinum and it has tiny rose cut diamonds on the shoulders. Then I have a very early garnet ring with figural caryatids holding the stone with their wings. Next is a rose gold garnet (?) And diamond ring which is engraved 1903. Last up, is my great grandmother's pearl and Burma ruby ring.
In the second photo (I wear way more white than yellow metals) there is a gypsy band with a transitional diamond and rubies. Above that is my great great aunt's deco ring with diamonds and natural sapphires. On my ring finger are my victorian silver treasures... Approx 20cts of fine blue moonstone in one, and a 4-5 carat opal in the other. On my middle finger is my 1.5ct Transitional diamond halo pendant made from my great grandmother's engagement ring, followed by my great great great aunt's engagement ring with oec diamond and natural sapphires, and then my father's mid-century star sapphire ring. Finally, on my pointer finger, I have my victorian snake ring with sapphire head and ruby eyes, and my great aunt's transitional diamond cigar wedding band.

IMG_20170401_165631412.jpg

IMG_20170401_170027217.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results