shape
carat
color
clarity

Big SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND ring purchased for $20!

MelanieDea

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone & thanks in advance for your help. I'm all giggly with excitement because my husband bought this ring at a secondhand shop that apparently thought it was costume jewelry! He tested the metal and stones and it's platinum, sapphire and diamonds. Okay, so get this.. he paid $20 for it!

We are getting an appraisel on Tuesday, but I'm dying to find out more about it now, lol! Does the style or makers mark look familiar to anyone? Any idea who made it or the origin of the sapphire or anything?

20160727_164428.jpg
20160727_164440.jpg
20160727_164449.jpg
makers_mark.jpg

Thanks so much,
Melanie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - that's a steal for the setting alone - and the stones are stunning. Please come back and let us know what the appraiser tells you!

I can't make out the makers mark from the photo, but... several other recent threads in this forum have links to comprehensive makers mark data bases that might be able to help you.

(BTW, the hallmark looks like it might be a stylized antique "S" - does that look right to you? If so, you might check the lang jewelry "university" for makers marks featuring an "s".)

MelanieDea

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help. I fear I've wasted some of your time as my camera isn't doing that maker's mark any justice at all. My husband took this picture with his camera, it's easier to see this way.
makers_mark_2.jpg

I looked through all the images in that database and didn't find anything last night. It was so difficult because the web application won't let you show more results on a single page. I'm a web developer and I was cringing the whole time wishing I could get my hands on their code and fix it, lol

MelanieDea

Rough_Rock
Also, I was wondering what era it looks like it might be from? My fashion gut was telling me it's depression era, but I have no idea. When did they start using the word PLAT on US made jewelry?

And I am not even sure if this is an oval cut or a cushion cut, it looks like something in-between to me, hehe

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What did the appraiser say?

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing find! Gorgeous ring! Can't wait to find out the actual details!

Congratulations!

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Holy moly, macaroni! That has got to be the best find I've ever seen. You won the lottery!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a find. I hope it is real!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll literally die if this is real. Like I will fall over and die after I curse God for not letting me find it.

RuthG

Rough_Rock
soxfan, I was thinking the SAME exact thing - like, why doesn't this EVER happen to me?!?!?

Would love an update... I hate being teased, just sayin'...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melanie,
It's been a month.....we all are dying to know what the verdict is....
If you don't come back and give us the skinny on this ring, and what the appraisal says.....then perhaps it wasn't the real thing after all??

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000 said:
Melanie,
It's been a month.....we all are dying to know what the verdict is....
If you don't come back and give us the skinny on this ring, and what the appraisal says.....then perhaps it wasn't the real thing after all??

Yeah. Now that I think about it, WHO buys a ring at a secondhand store for $20, and comes home and takes pictures of it with gloves on? Just saying'.......

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The logo looks kind of like the Stauer "S" to me - Stauer makes jewelry and watch replicas - but I'm having trouble reconciling that with the "plat" stamp.????

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gloved hands bothered me too. The whole thing is weird.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do hope she updates us on this soon, whatever the outcome as it looks so pretty, it would be great to know.

Though I do see your point soxfan and derbygal, re wearing gloves ( I'm more likely to take a photo of it on my toe as my hands are over occupied juggling with the camera :loopy: !!).

I do hope it's true as it could/would be a great find and a wonderful story.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, doody. I just found this and wanted to see how it ends.

As for the gloves... i recently bought circa 1915 earrings that I plan to wear and I dont use gloves to handle them. Should I?

As for this ring, it's platinum, correct? Made in the US.

I don't think its the Stauer makers mark.

What do you call the shape of the diamonds on the side?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm the oddball, because I think it looks like simulated sapphire. The side stones have that glassy look of CZ. I'm not sure of the PLAT mark though, that seems odd. Maybe the hallmark is fake?

I suspect $20 is about right. ;-)

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looks like the initial post is a fraud... :think: I have seen antique jewelry that is not hallmarked but result in diamonds, platinum, gold...However, I have seen also jewelry marked with 14K or 18K, but totally fake! This ring by the manner of manufacturing looks cast, no soldered, not platinum... I even suspect that the user that posted this wanted intentionally to scam us! Beware! :evil:

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
EvaEvans said:
Looks like the initial post is a fraud... :think: I have seen antique jewelry that is not hallmarked but result in diamonds, platinum, gold...However, I have seen also jewelry marked with 14K or 18K, but totally fake! This ring by the manner of manufacturing looks cast, no soldered, not platinum... I even suspect that the user that posted this wanted intentionally to scam us! Beware! :evil:

How would they scam us? Troll us with he story or do you mean try to sell a fake ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Try to sell a fake ring. Creating a confidence and an interesting story. Why there is no further information about this ring from the poster?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results