shape
carat
color
clarity

4 carat custom cut Canera European Round in an Emilya halo

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I have officially given up waiting for a sunny day to take good photos of my new upgraded engagement ring! Sorry for the delay.

Here's the story:
Since our 10 year anniversary, my husband has allowed me to search for an upgrade to my engagement ring. I thought I really wanted an antique style rectangular cushion. However, I never could find one that really excited me. Meanwhile, I caught the halo craze that spread across Pricescope. That lead me to Victor Canera. In April I went to a work meeting in LA and decided to take that opportunity to meet Victor in person. He was very accommodating and spend a couple of hours showing us his stones. I fell in love with the european cut rounds during that visit. He has a very beautiful 3.5 carat K CER that very nearly found a home with us. However, I had the desire and budget to go bigger and whiter and decided to embark on a custom cut CER.

We officially committed to the stone search around May/June. I wanted a 4-4.5 carat, I, VS. I wanted at least a 10 mm stone. We lost one stone because we couldn't move the wire fast enough. Lesson learned, we set everything up with the bank to wire only on a phone call from one of us (not an easy task, I assure you). We lost another rough at auction. Victor was good to keep us in the loop and pitched several stones at us that were close to the criteria but not exactly what we wanted. It was interesting to see how the rough diamond market moved. We kept looking. In late July Victor found a 14 carat stone that could yield my 4+ carat stone and a 2 carat for his stock.

Our portion of the rough was projected to yield a 4.3 carat I VVS2 CER. His was projected to yield a 2.0 ct I VVS2 H&A.

Here is the rough in suboptimal lighting conditions:

_1526.png

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Re: 4 carat custom cut Canera European Round in an Emilya ha

There was a problem with the rough almost as soon as it got to the cutters. After they polished a window into the rough they saw a feather in the stone. Victor notified us immediately and offered to refund our money. However, he said that his cutter was going to work with the projected placement of each stone and see if he could get the feather between both stones and still deliver what we were expecting. He got back to us the next business day with the news that the feather could be placed between the stones and we could move forward if we wanted to. The option to back out was still there. Both stones were projected to stay the same size, color, clarity as initially projected. We decided to go ahead.

The cutting took a little longer than expected. There were several holidays and vacations at the cutting house. Also this rough was very difficult to work with. Victor was very apologetic about the delay and even graciously offered us a free pave eternity band for our patience.

The final stone was completed in late October. Here are her initial photos:

cer_white_background.jpg

avc_loose.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

The stone came in a little lighter at 4.12 carats than what we were hoping. Victor was not happy with the polish job on the stone so he wanted to have it polished a bit more to ensure it would get an ideal polish grade from AGS. That process took her down to 4.02 carats. He also said there was a small crystal he could see with a loupe and he figured the clarity would end up as a VS1. He compared the stone to some of his in house I and J stones in his GIA light box and felt pretty confident in the I color. He sent me the ASET and IS images and off she went to AGS.

4-02-aset-v2.jpg

4-02-cer-is.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

The stone came back from AGS as a 4.021 carat J VS1, ideal polish, ideal symmetry, no flouro. The average dimension was 10.1 mm. I will admit that I was a little disappointed in the stats when we got them. When we purchased the rough stone, we had agreed upon a refund amount for a one down loss in color. However, we had not addressed what would happen if there was a one grade drop in clarity or loss of carat weight. Victor was accommodating and negotiated with my husband so that all parties were satisfied.

We moved on to the setting stage. Victor really wanted to try a new antique design with my ring. He graciously offered to set it in this new design and send it out to me. If I was unhappy with it at all, he would take it back and reset it into the Emilya like I originally wanted for no charge.

Here is the ring he was proposing to do (he has since released this design on his own Facebook page so I believe it is okay to post it here now):

antique_setting.jpg

european_antique_setting.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I will admit that I was very tempted to let him try it! It would have been so exciting to have a never before seen setting and it seemed like all I would lose was a little bit of money (new setting slightly more expensive) and more time. However, I had been worrying a little that the ring would already be pretty large and my fingers aren't THAT big. This design is beautiful, but maybe for a fun right hand ring with a smaller colored stone. I told him to go ahead with the Emilya.

And so he did...

cer_in_emilya.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

Now on to my pictures and the hand shots! Let me start off by saying that clearly my house was not designed to showcase jewelry. Dallas is having a run of cold and unfavorable weather. So please excuse all the shadow pictures and the creamy tones on my CER! Nothing like a fancy new ring to make you realize how low light and drab your surroundings are!

cer_on_hand.jpg

cer_brown_sleeve.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

My left ring finger is a 5. My right is a 5.5. I promised Victor that I would not wear the band with the engagement ring when I put pave on the donut. I had him size the eternity band to fit my right hand.

Just one quick photo together won't hurt though:

cer_w_eternity.jpg

hand_w_band.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

Profile picture under worse lighting. In real life I have to really struggle to see any tint from the side. There is no tint face up:

_38736.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I am lucky enough to get to keep my original set too. It is a 2 carat G, VS1 Asscher sourced by Whiteflash in a Brian Gavin custom setting with matching baby asscher wedding band. This set is around 15 years old now. From back in the day when Whiteflash and Brian Gavin were together.

Here are both sets together:

both_sets_on_finger.jpg

both_sets_face_up.jpg

all_4_profile.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This stone is unbelievably beautiful. Drop dead beautiful. Congratulations on such a truly amazing, jaw dropping stone. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your finished ring is beautiful. Did I say it is all just so beautiful??

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

AND I was also lucky enough that my husband said I could use the refunded money (plus a little extra) to complete the next project on my list: A diamond pendant necklace. I was able to snap up GOG's 2.7 carat J VS1 AVC. Here is a quick picture of the loose stone before she got shipped off to SK for setting.

cer_avc_full_hand.jpg

cer_and_avc.jpg

_38737.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom|1482557761|4109305 said:
This stone is unbelievably beautiful. Drop dead beautiful. Congratulations on such a truly amazing, jaw dropping stone. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your finished ring is beautiful. Did I say it is all just so beautiful??

Thank you so much LLJsmom! I love it!!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom|1482557761|4109305 said:

LLJsmom,
I have a question for you real quick concerning the single cut vs full cut melee debate on the other post. My work order says he used full cut. But the video he posted on his Facebook page says these are single cut. I'll contact him after the holidays and see what he used for sure. In the meantime, can you tell at all? I know it's small. The video on Victor's Facebook may be better (not sure how to put the link in the post.) Thanks! Just curious...and confused a bit.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful, Poshmommy! I am so glad you went with the Emilya. I love that setting. The other one is lovely too, but a very different style that is super unique. I love the classic style of the Emilya. It looks so lovely on you. I love your original set as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring looks fabulous on you Poshmommy! Thank you for starting this thread and sharing your story.
It was a great choice to go with the Emilya. The pave frames your stone so beautifully and I love the classic and sophisticated look.

I love the look with your VC pave eternity. Could you wear it with a spacer in between?
You have a stunning diamond collection!

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock

Amazing! I did like where VC was going with the new setting, but agree it's very adventurous for an everyday (?) e-ring. You wear the Emilya well :)

Good luck with the AVC pendant - can't wait to see the results :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!, That is a beauty!!... :love: :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is truly stunning! Would love to see some natural daylight shots when you get the chance. I bet it's full of flashes & all sorts of yumminess!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful. :love: Worth all the hard work and energy that went into it. :appl:
Looking forward to many more photos of this gorgeous ring when the weather cooperates and you have the time.
Happy holidays!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Amazing, amazing stone and an ultra fabulous ring!! :love:

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock

Oh. My. Stars!!!!!!! Your ring is incredible :love: :love: :love: it looks amazing on you - the diamond is absolutely stunning! Congratulations on such a beautiful, beautiful ring!
I can't wait to see your avc set in a pendant - it's going to be gorgeous! :appl:

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Wow. Just WOW. That is a heart-stopping, beautiful stone! :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is absolutely stunning, and thank you for posting the whole story! :appl:

Boom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for posting your story.
It was a long process but the end result is totally worth it!

Absolutely stunning stone and ring!
Looking forward to many more photos!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everybody for all the kind words! And thank you to everyone for all of your support and advice through the journey!!

I think it is important for people to realize that the custom cutting and custom setting routes do have a degree of uncertainty in them. The vendors that do this are businessmen AND artists. It's a unique combination to interact with.

Although Victor and I did have a couple of weeks where we frustrated each other we were able to get through it and everything ended up fine in the end. I think it is important when things go unexpectedly to sit back and think on it for a few days before you react. And always try to get the other person's point of view on the situation before you make any assumptions or judgements (or comments on PS...).

After the final ring was delivered, Victor reached out to me to get my opinion on ways to improve the custom cut service for other clients. I really did appreciate that too. This was a big investment for us as well as the biggest custom cut he had executed. There were lessons to be learned on all sides.

My best advice for anyone going down this road is to keep clear lines of communications open at the very beginning during the rough search. When a stone is finally settled on, make sure you understand what each possible outcome is. Although it is a little more work for everyone, I still feel like negotiating the drop in price for each possible outcome is the best way to go. I do hope the vendors consider doing a contract or work order stating each possible outcome and the ramifications going forward. I think that protects both parties from rough patches later in the process.

Also realize that once the final stone is selected, that the project is now officially out of your and your vender's hands. Both are at the mercy of the cutters' schedules. There is no hurrying...nor would you want them to, right? Several parties and events I wanted the ring for came and went during this time. It wasn't a big deal. They will come around again. I think this part of the journey was harder for Victor to manage than us. However, if we were waiting on it for a proposal or wedding, I see how it may have been anxiety provoking. In that situation ask your vendor before hand when the big holiday and vacation times are for the cutters....trust me, Victor knows all about them now! Try to avoid those times if possible or allow extra time if not.

Will I custom cut again? Probably although I don't think I will do such an expensive stone again. With the amount of money we had tied up in it, the stakes at time felt overwhelming. I wish I had a picture of the look on the banker's face when we were arranging the wire and he fully realized what we were doing. It was definitely a first for him! However, I could see myself custom cutting studs, pendant stones, or possible a 2-3 carat cushion down the line.

I will absolutely use Victor again. His work is brilliant! I would love to do a stud project with him. I have a great idea for a pendant and earring project I want to do with him too. I would love to get into some semiprecious and precious gemstone pendant projects going. I really would have used him for the first pendant project, and he offered us a very nice deal. However, that 2.7 AVC had everything I was looking for (which is HARD to find in a cushion) and was priced too well to pass up. I would have loved for Victor to set it but respect his stance on that line.

Sorry for the long post, but I know I left a few things hanging on the other thread. I hope this clears up any questions and helps guide anyone else going through this process.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I recently heard my stone's sister just finished and got graded! I'll reach out to him after the holidays to see if he'll give me a picture of her to post on here too for educational purposes. She was able to grade at the original stats he was wanting for my stone, I, VVS2. It's interesting how the size difference really can concentrate the color enough to change the grade on one stone from the same rough.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us! The outcome is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS, and I'm thrilled that you got to buy an AVC as well in the process. I definitely learned a lot from your post--you sound very level-headed about the entire thing, which is very important when things might not always go as planned. And thank you for being so open about the potential bumps in the road, I think your post and story will be really helpful for others going down the custom cut route!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a painstakingly absolutely AMAZING GORGEOUS creation!!! :love: I'm envious!! :cheeky: she looks so at home on your finger, too! Please indulge us with a million more pictures!!! Congrats on that and your lovely cushion! I had eyed that one a couple of time and am glad it found a PS home so I can drool over the pics once it's set! :appl: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results