shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a 5ct+ ring

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming carat weight, color and clarity are same or similar, if I'm choosing between an AVC and an EC, I'd pick the one that is cheaper and faces up larger.

I'm no help, am I?

If this ring is for mama, I think that it should face up the same or bigger than your wife's. :dance:
For example, both my parents turn 65 this year. I gave daddy $6,500 for his birthday. Mom's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and dad told me that I should give her $6,600 because she's the more important person. LOLOLOL! :wall:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider whether your mom would appreciate the uniqueness of the cut of an AVC. If she is more conservative and prefers classic styles, I would go for the EC. Would her circle of friends appreciate the EC or the AVC more? I assume it's something she will want to show off to her friends.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
isn't m2b ring for sale or sold?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendylynne|1470186191|4061897 said:
isn't m2b ring for sale or sold?

No, I don't think she has ever for a second considered selling that beauty!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a note, the OP has only stated that the second ring is for "for the other most important woman in my life" . Please don't take this as criticism to anyone :pray: ...just a suggestion that cultural differences may be at play. Perhaps it would be more accurate to refer to the second ring or second stone, not the presumed recipient.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockysalamander|1470220604|4061996 said:
Just a note, the OP has only stated that the second ring is for "for the other most important woman in my life" . Please don't take this as criticism to anyone :pray: ...just a suggestion that cultural differences may be at play. Perhaps it would be more accurate to refer to the second ring or second stone, not the presumed recipient.

It doesn't matter who it is. My question was whether this person already has other diamond rings. That might influence the shape chosen. However, it is unlikely that she already has an antique cushion.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost positive that he said it was for his mom. I would have to go through every page of this thread to check.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is his mother, I disagree strongly. The diamond should be smaller than his wife/fiance. Wives take precedence over mothers.

bpc

Rough_Rock
I think styles she's pretty relaxed on, although I worry that an AVC with a halo is too similar to an Asscher with a halo. Maybe has to be a solitaire?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1470272439|4062312 said:
If it is his mother, I disagree strongly. The diamond should be smaller than his wife/fiance. Wives take precedence over mothers.

+1

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline said:
Gypsy|1470272439|4062312 said:

+1

I agree. I think it would be inappropriate to give a mother a diamond ring that competes with or outshines the engagement ring you have just gifted your new fiancé or wife. It's very dangerous territory and could accidentally create competition or resentment among the women in your life. If you must give your mother a gift at this time, I would make it something that is very different. Perhaps a sapphire pendant? A watch? A vacation? A car?

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
bpc|1451333719|3967479 said:
I definitely need to get a bigger stone than the Asscher - chalk it up to cultural differences. Thanks for the suggestions will look into them
I don't believe bpc mentioned anything about their mother either.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Venti25|1470378132|4062701 said:
bpc|1451333719|3967479 said:
I definitely need to get a bigger stone than the Asscher - chalk it up to cultural differences. Thanks for the suggestions will look into them
I don't believe bpc mentioned anything about their mother either.
Oh cool, venti25 - thanks for digging this up. Who cares who it's for - he said "bigger" bling :love: :love: :love: I'm all onboard with THAT!

Can't wait to see what bpc chooses! :appl:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the UK and not America. However, no way would a mother be getting a ring at the same time as the son got engaged. That is just off in my book. If she got a ring at a later date like a few years, then it may be a cluster with a colored stone but never a large diamond.

I know we have seen the picture of the diamond ring he has supposed to have bought but I just wonder if this is all true at all or just a lie.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I found out he bought his mom a ring, then the engagement would be off, no doubt about it.

If this is true, I reckon he has two wives, different culture as you say.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1470416737|4062816 said:
If I found out he bought his mom a ring, then the engagement would be off, no doubt about it.

If this is true, I reckon he has two wives, different culture as you say.
I'd trade in my husband for two wives any day of the week. Wives are awesome! I know - I AM one :dance:
BPC - the bling suspense is killing me - WHICH honker are you picking?!?!

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
Guys,

Personally, Ive enjoyed reading about his journey.... BIG ROCKS - does it get better???!! Please stop speculating about who its for.. does it matter? Also - to imply that this is a fake thread - insulting to OP!!! Hello - Steven Kirsch posted pics of that FABULOUS ring finished.
Where are all the guru's and why aren't you guys posting some fabulous finds for the OP?? I know you can do it!!! Lets focus...

bpc

Rough_Rock
Bad news. Almost a month after buying the AVC, apparently it was lost in shipping from Antwerp and never even made it to GOG.

Anyone with experience doing a custom AVC cut from a raw stone? How risky is it? Do you run the risk that the final product doesn't meet the quality originally expected?

If not a custom AVC, it's probably a refund and back to square one.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
That's horrible news! I'm so sorry to hear that. It was such a beautiful stone.

Most of the custom cuts posted here have come out well. I am currently in the middle of a custom cut with another vendor. It is a bit nerve wracking. I don't have any results on mine to post yet.

So sorry again to hear about the set back. I'm sure whatever you decide will be spectacular.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bpc|1476417025|4086907 said:
Bad news. Almost a month after buying the AVC, apparently it was lost in shipping from Antwerp and never even made it to GOG.

Anyone with experience doing a custom AVC cut from a raw stone? How risky is it? Do you run the risk that the final product doesn't meet the quality originally expected?

Oh my God!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1476417025|4086907 said:

I am so sorry that happened! Many here have had AVCs custom cut and the result has been excellent! In most cases, the stone has turned out to be graded equal or higher than expected, and if higher, you do not pay extra. If it grades a lower color than the range specified, you get a partial refund reflecting that. So there is little risk. I am considering the idea myself, actually.

bpc

Rough_Rock
so i'm still waiting for the rock but it's with AGS now. a little concerned as it was supposed to be I/J VS but GoG just sent an email which implies it was H SI, but AGS is debating whether it is I or J and what SI grade. very frustrating and confusing process.

also very delayed and going to miss xmas.

bpc

Rough_Rock
DiamCalc image. Measures 10.45 x 9.85 with an 11.2mm corner to corner measurement and all "Ideal"

Same price as original AVC 100k. Any thoughts?

img_14080.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that looks great! I like the shape better than the one you were going to originally get! :love: :love: :love:

I will add that I'd want to know the clarity characteristics if SI. I am so sorry it won't be completed for Christmas!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great. Is the carat weight a lot more than 5 and half carats this time? Just wondering how this one could be $100k at I or J color VS, when the asscher was 5.33 H VS1 for under $60k!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1482029477|4108081 said:
It looks great. Is the carat weight a lot more than 5 and half carats this time? Just wondering how this one could be $100k at I or J color VS, when the asscher was 5.33 H VS1 for under $60k!

Pyramid, the asscher was strong blue fluor, and the seller was really motivated to get rid of it. Not a custom cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1482029957|4108082 said:

Pyramid, the asscher was strong blue fluor, and the seller was really motivated to get rid of it. Not a custom cut.

Yes, that was a rare and unusual killer deal for sure. I will add that the AVC faces up larger as well, and asschers run lower price per carat often due to the smaller face up size.

This diamond with a pave halo is going to be larger than the asscher ring, so I hope the two women will be okay with that!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1482035351|4108096 said:
LLJsmom|1482029957|4108082 said:

Yes, that was a rare and unusual killer deal for sure. I will add that the AVC faces up larger as well, and asschers run lower price per carat often due to the smaller face up size.

This diamond with a pave halo is going to be larger than the asscher ring, so I hope the two women will be okay with that!

Okay I see fluorescence and fancy cut.

Still at nearly double the price, and still a fancy cut, I would not call this one an 'unusual killer deal'. I was thinking this was
maybe an 8 or 9 carat diamond as it was $40,000 more but for the same size, no way. I know AVC is popular on this board but outside of pricescope it would not be noticed from another cushion or even another rectangular stone really. Money seems to be no object here though with two 5 carat rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, specialty cuts usually sell a little above RAP. The asscher was a killer deal..it sold for much less than it could have, partly because fluorescence is looked down on by many jewelers, and the seller wanted to get rid of it. It's not a fair comparison.

Realistic pricing....5 ct I VVS asscher $98k

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/5.01-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-228780

He got a killer deal on the asscher he bought. Wish I could have bought that one!

The one linked makes the AVC price more understandable and not unreasonable at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results