shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Help With Identification?

belindie

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

My mother passed awhile back and I found these two rings with her things. I just wondered if anyone had any idea about what they could be - the style, era, anything? I have looked online, but I can't find anything, not even the name of the settings. I do remember going to a jeweler with her when I was little and she was wearing the ruby spiral one. The jeweler offered to buy it from her then, but she wouldn't sell it.

Both rings have 14k stamped inside.

Thanks!

ring_154.jpg
ring1_76.jpg
ring4_31.jpg
ring3_50.jpg
ring2_86.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are Thai Princess rings.
It is a popular style of ring in Thailand thought to resemble the headdresses of traditional Thai dancers.
Most are 9-18k gold, with genuine stones. Many rings are unmarked, though.
These were commonly brought back by US servicemen as gifts for their wives or mothers.
They are commonly mislabeled as Victorian or Harem rings.
You will find many listed on Ebay or Etsy, with varying prices.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my small collection of Thai princess rings. I love them!

img_20161210_151437582_hdr.jpg

belindie

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for that! I love them, but I really had no idea what kind of rings they were. Thanks for the info.

Your rings are beautiful. They're all lovely, but that blur one on the right really took my breath away. Simply divine!

Is there any way I can ask you to post a photo of the inside of one of your rings? The colorful one that I have is in 3 different pieces, with the post, but nothing to anchor it down. I remember it being together when I was a girl, but it must have broken at some point. I want to have it repaired, but I would like to see what kind of closure it has.

Thanks again!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the undersides. Two rings have a nut and washer that screws onto a main post that holds the whole thing together. It may be impossible to find a nut that fits correctly. The sapphire ring has a marquise-shaped washer. Of course, I took them apart once, and boy were they hard to get back together correctly!! :o
But I'm sure a jeweler can solder the pieces together, and replace those missing stones. Shop around for someone who won't charge too much. I think they are worth the repair costs!

img_20161211_140609003_hdr.jpg

img_20161211_140444173_hdr.jpg

img_20161211_140630966.jpg

belindie

Rough_Rock
Fabulous! Thank you for sharing and for your help. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results