shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I be second guessing my choice? JamesAllen/ASET

htx1114

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I'm a first time poster, but I've been reading here and anywhere else I can find quality information for the last couple of months. These forums in particular have given me a lot of insight as I've searched for the "perfect" diamond over the last couple of months.

That said, I felt really good about https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...ut/1.08-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-2246353 and, while James Allen said they couldn't provide an ASET for this particular diamond until it was purchased, everything else about it looked great so I went ahead and made my order.

I've since received the ASET, which (if my attempt to attach it to this post doesn't work) can be seen here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B274QkSW8IYuSHZsVWUzcXFSSjdERmZkT1pOMTNINU1qSUFj . Of course, the gemologist's email included, "This is a stunning diamond! As you can see in the ASET image this diamond has very strong light return spread nicely throughout. You can see in the 360 degree diamond video this diamond also has amazing fire and sparkle. You will be very pleased in person!"

Despite the hype, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the ASET. Maybe I'm unfairly comparing it to digitally created ASETs or to diamonds that are well out of my price range (~$5,000).

I have come around to the idea that ASETs aren't everything when it comes to cushion cuts, but the only other things I have to go off of at the moment are the GIA report, which I feel okay about, and the 360 degree image on the James Allen site. The 360 looked good to me, but my untrained eye can hardly detect anything past blatant inclusions.

I understand that a lot of this is subjective, but based on the evidence I've provided, can any of you offer some quick thoughts on the ASET? Is this a diamond I'll be proud to have chosen years down the line? At my budget, can I afford to second guess myself?

From all the novices like me, thanks for your active participation in these forums. Looking forward to any feedback I can get on this diamond. 2246353aset.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a trade person I can neither recommend or criticize another vendor's diamond. Speaking solely on the ASET I will say that, although it shows alot of leakage, it does have good symmetrical distribution, and a balanced mix of high and low angle light. There is reason to believe that even leakage can create some structured contrast that can contribute to pleasing scintillation effects, if in the right amount and locations. Because of the mix and distribution of colors in the image, I would give some credence to the assessment you were given.

As valuable as ASET is for understanding light performance, reading ASET signatures in fancy cuts and predicting exactly how that will translate into real world viewing is a more nuanced art than in traditional round brilliants.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should I be second guessing my choice? JamesAllen/AS

FPS choice has been sold: that was quick!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should I be second guessing my choice? JamesAllen/AS

whitewave|1481066660|4105278 said:
FPS choice has been sold: that was quick!
That stone was from an OLD thread.
I just wanted give the OP some reference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results