shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion of these FICs for Earrings

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
I'm searching for stones for a pair of earrings and have found these 2 FICs ( at least I think they're FICs :)). Would like the community's opinon on whether FICs would make good earrings and your opinion these 2 stones as a matched set. Unfortunately is this all the info I have - the site does not offer Idealscope or ASET images; but do offer full return if they don't work out. Thanks in advance.

Stone 1

0.5 CW, G, SI2, Excellent Cut/Pol/Sym, approx 5mm diameter
FIC 1.9 on HCA

1_65.png
Stone 2

0.5 CW, F, S12, Excellent Cut/Pol/Sym, approx 5mm diameter
FIC 1.8 on HCA

2_39.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have never seen a lot of fire or scintillation emerging from earrings.
I prefer spready shallower BIC stones - they are bigger, they return more light and have more edge light return so look extra bigger.

Also earrings do not suffer from obstruction - you simply can not get into peoples private space and block enough light to have an impact on obscuring available light.
So for e.g. you could look at GIA VG cut shallow stones

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Garry, I think I was seduced with all the posts about FICs and then was very excited when I found these! .... a little knowledge is truly a dangerous thing! Thanks for the advice :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of those stones are deep which might result in loss of diameter, aside from other issues. I just stick with ideal cut measurements, personally, as Garry's preferred stones can be a little more complicated to find.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1480391624|4103299 said:
I prefer spready shallower BIC stones - they are bigger, they return more light and have more edge light return so look extra bigger.

Also earrings do not suffer from obstruction - you simply can not get into peoples private space and block enough light to have an impact on obscuring available light.
Garry,
I get the point about obstruction, but wouldn't diamonds with higher crowns have certain advantages in earrings in that they could gather more light from above?

You could almost make the case that diamonds with more green in ASET could be put to good use in earrings. No?

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1480651308|4104199 said:
Both of those stones are deep which might result in loss of diameter, aside from other issues. I just stick with ideal cut measurements, personally, as Garry's preferred stones can be a little more complicated to find.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Hi DiamondSeeker - I searched some more and found 3 shallow stones. I accidentally posted to a new thread - the numbers for the 3 stones are here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/garry-et-al-pls-how-are-these-shallow-spreadys-for-earrings.227306/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/garry-et-al-pls-how-are-these-shallow-spreadys-for-earrings.227306/[/URL]

Are these any goodÉ

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1480723116|4104430 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1480391624|4103299 said:

Garry,
I get the point about obstruction, but wouldn't diamonds with higher crowns have certain advantages in earrings in that they could gather more light from above?

You could almost make the case that diamonds with more green in ASET could be put to good use in earrings. No?

Hi Bryan, thanks for chiming in. The stones would be set into 3-prong Martini earrings so there would be very little light coming through the pavs. From many of the comments here on PS, I also thought the higher crowns could gather more light from above. For this reason and because I love spectral light, I went searching for the FICs. But what Garry says make sense to me too. So confused! :confused:

I gather that personal preference plays hugely when selecting a diamond but I'm also really interested in learning the science and geometry behind the proportions. So, what are everyone's thoughts on these 38 crown angle stones? If I'm willing to sacrifice some size for beauty - would these be best candidates for rings, pendants or earrings?

The stones below scored as 1.3 and 1.4 FIC on the HCA with EX/EX/EX for light return, fire and scint but only GOOD for Spread (which would be expected). The both are VG cut, EX polish/symmetry 0.46 CW at ~ 4.81-4.82 mm in diameter. Unfortunately the site does not offer images so I only have the numbers. Thoughts and comments? PLEASE!

steepdeep.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeanne.

HCA scoring is only valid for GIA Ex or AGS Ex+ diamonds. It fails miserably for GIA Very Good or below. There are a few exceptions depending on what the actual cut grading determining flaw is, eg girdle thickness. I won't go into details, since you are already a bit confused.

As you can see, HCA is unable to filter out stones with extreme angles. This is the reason why a HCA score is accompanied with the graph with solid and dotted lines representing GIA EX and AGS ideal. It is only valid when "X" is situated within the solid and/or dotted border.

My advice, to avoid any confusion and make it simple, is that you find a diamond
-that is GIA EX or AGS IDEAL
AND
-whose proportions fall within the ideal ranges provided by DIAMONDSEEKER2006 You may expand the ideal crown angle range to 33.5~35.5 if you don't mind losing some fire for potentially more spread.
AND
-whose proportions give HCA score of 2.0 or below

I would not deviate from this.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig|1480782907|4104551 said:
Jeanne.

HCA scoring is only valid for GIA Ex or AGS Ex+ diamonds. It fails miserably for GIA Very Good or below. There are a few exceptions depending on what the actual cut grading determining flaw is, eg girdle thickness. I won't go into details, since you are already a bit confused.

As you can see, HCA is unable to filter out stones with extreme angles. This is the reason why a HCA score is accompanied with the graph with solid and dotted lines representing GIA EX and AGS ideal. It is only valid when "X" is situated within the solid and/or dotted border.

My advice, to avoid any confusion and make it simple, is that you find a diamond
-that is GIA EX or AGS IDEAL
AND
-whose proportions fall within the ideal ranges provided by DIAMONDSEEKER2006 You may expand the ideal crown angle range to 33.5~35.5 if you don't mind losing some fire for potentially more spread.
AND
-whose proportions give HCA score of 2.0 or below

I would not deviate from this.

Thank you for the HCA tips! I never knew the significance of the "X" in relation of the solid and dotted outlines. Back to the drawing board for me and thanks again.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Ok. Moving away from FIC and onto shallower ideal/excellent cut stones...found these 3 with the proportions DiamondSeeker and FlyingPig recommended:

AGS Ideal or GIA Excellent Cut
HCA score <2.0 and X is within the white outlines

Appreciate your opinon on these 3 ... All are .43-.45 CW, 4.92+ mm.

These 2 are SI2 with Twinning Wisps, Depth of the 2nd one is only 59.5 - is that acceptable?
1_66.png
2_40.png

The last one is VS2 with Crystal, cloud - the GIA cert says "inscribed with H&A".
3_14.png

Any winners here? Thanks!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say #1 and #3 based on the proportions you provided. I assume these three are from the other post you started.
They all have potential. #2 I believe is very good in polish and symmetry??

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
#1 and #2 are from the other post but #3 is a new one I found since the original #3 (from the other post) had at 59 table which is outside of the recommended range.

Yes - #2 is the one with the EX cut, VG polish and symmetry.

Thanks very much for your time!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
You have some mad computer skills. I would never be able to copy and paste the stuff together that you have. :clap:

I just wanted to jump in to say that. And only because I have been looking for studs over the last few days and can appreciate what you are going through. I hope you find your holy grail of studs.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
miraclesrule|1480830374|4104662 said:
You have some mad computer skills. I would never be able to copy and paste the stuff together that you have. :clap:

I just wanted to jump in to say that. And only because I have been looking for studs over the last few days and can appreciate what you are going through. I hope you find your holy grail of studs.

Well thank you, LOL! I do like the pretty pictures - they say it so much better than I can explain in words. :)

The site I'm looking at offers a full return policy so I'm considering ordering the FIC AND the shallow ideals to compare, then just keep my favs. If I do, I'll try to post my thoughts on the 2 sets.

Good luck in your hunt too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results