shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing conundrum

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after a few days, I have noticed that it's near impossible to get my ring over my knuckle unless my fingers are shrunk from the cold. I took it to a jeweler, and it was confirmed that it was under a size 4.5:( It's a platinum solitaire, and I want to bump it up to a 4.75 so I can stack with it. I am going to call a local jeweler who everyone has suggested to see if he can size it today because I'm leaving for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I want to wear it. If he can't, I can go to my old jeweler on Wednesday and possibly, depending on how busy they are, get it re-sized.

Hubby thinks I shouldn't chance it and have someone else size it and I should send it back to Caysie to do. I kind of feel that this is an easy resize, and I don't want to have to do that. What would you do?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is almost always better to have it resized where you got it than somewhere else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about the solitaire with the totally plain shank? I'd definitely do it locally IF I knew the bench was good. Not worth dealing with shipping for something like that unless there is pave or engraving on the shank.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1479827301|4101460 said:
Are you talking about the solitaire with the totally plain shank? I'd definitely do it locally IF I knew the bench was good. Not worth dealing with shipping for something like that unless there is pave or engraving on the shank.

Yep. My old jeweler in NH told me to bring it in tomorrow and he can possibly size it if they aren't busy. Fingers crossed...

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Will the local jeweler be able to match the 90/10 that was done by Caysie? Or does it not matter?

I hope you are able to get it resized in time!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That stinks... as several have mentioned, Caysie seems to be really backed up... that could take a long time... I would do locally if you are confident in the bench.

retroglam

Rough_Rock
If it's only a small re-size up, I think it's normal to just stretch the shank a little. So matching alloys shouldn't be a problem.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1479825358|4101447 said:
So after a few days, I have noticed that it's near impossible to get my ring over my knuckle unless my fingers are shrunk from the cold. I took it to a jeweler, and it was confirmed that it was under a size 4.5:( It's a platinum solitaire, and I want to bump it up to a 4.75 so I can stack with it. I am going to call a local jeweler who everyone has suggested to see if he can size it today because I'm leaving for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I want to wear it. If he can't, I can go to my old jeweler on Wednesday and possibly, depending on how busy they are, get it re-sized.

Hubby thinks I shouldn't chance it and have someone else size it and I should send it back to Caysie to do. I kind of feel that this is an easy resize, and I don't want to have to do that. What would you do?
I would send it back to Caysie overnight (on her insured carrier shipping) and not have anyone else work on it. Don't risk another vendor messing it up! Have her go up 1/4 size from where it is, her mandrel is probably different than this other jewelers, and ask that it be done same day and shipped to where you will be visiting for the holiday for delivery Friday if possible.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
What did you decide?

I got my ring today and to my surprise my BF let me check it out and try it on. (He wanted to know ASAP if it wasn't what I'd wanted and we needed to ship it back for edits, etc.)

It's amazing. BUT. It's a hair tight. In the summer or with bands it might make my finger look pinched.

I am going to ask him to send it back to Caysie to be re-sized. If anything, the delay will add to the surprise of not knowing when the proposal is coming, I guess.

The last time I had an engagement ring I did obsess about fit/size.

I did not have a solitaire, though, and now I am super worried that sizing up would make it spin to the side.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called my local place today (i need up 1/2 size) and they said with drop off today, it would be ready December 1!!! :snooty:

I'm bringing mine to a guy in New Orleans who will be making my 3 stone miligrain thin bezel 3 stone pendant. He can do it the same day.

Just adding-- sorry to hijack

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm bringing it to my old jeweler tomorrow to size up 1/4 of a size. I am also worried about spinning in the winter. My fingers shrink SO much in the winter, but I will absolutely not be able to wear this ring in the summer, so it's a must do.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
What about sizing it up and putting in sizing beads/bumps so it doesn't spin in the winter?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you have an issue with your knuckle being a larger size than your finger where the ring sits? Talk to Caysie about putting a Surefit, Snap-tite, or other adjustable shank in there. No one but you would see it as the bottom half of the shank would be replaced. If it's only about a quarter size you need to make up, one of the horseshoe style guards (goes in the interior of the ring) would allow for the ring to go over your knuckle, and then snug up where it's supposed to sit. It's not uncommon for people to have one size knuckle, and a half-size smaller area where the ring sits.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results