Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1479007292|4097695 said:
Matata|1479006644|4097689 said:
AdaBeta27|1479005533|4097686 said:
kenny|1478994902|4097604 said:
How DARE you not be white!

The Trump voters here on PS have been coming out the the closet and revealing their identity.
Thank them.

It's gonna get much much worse.
God Bless America.

(Yawn.) This country has LAWS and the laws apply to all. These dirtbags, miscreants, misfits, counter-culture losers, louts, criminals, and cray-crays who are suddenly attracting everyone's notice were not created overnight by "Trump voters." They have been there all along. They just were not newsworthy then like they are now. Few of these incidents were even newsworthy until news media and social media sensitized everyone to start noticing and tallying. If you didn't ever notice or encounter any louts, racists, or "whatever" before, congratulations on having had a much more privileged and sheltered life than I've had.

And of course, Kenny, you've never been disruptive, annoying, insulting, or offensive on Pricescope or anything. Not the least little bit out of line, ever. >;-( :rolleyes:

Good grief. The laws of this country are not applied to all equally. You are correct that perpetrators of bad behavior pre-exist Trump. BUT, whenever a public figure appears to sanction bad behavior, those behaviors increase in the general population. And there are organizations who have been tallying these things for decades and whose statistics show a correlation between Trump's ascension and incidents of racial harassment/xeno-homophoia. Get your head out of your arse and learn something before you gift us with your pseudo intellectualism.

Must you be so insulting of others with your options Matata?
I sometimes respond in kind when someone is dismissive and insulting to others and especially when the insulting response is not fact based and meant to put someone in their place based on lack of fact or misinformation. AdaBeta has written some scathing commentary this week that caused me to wince and put me at the end of my tether.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1479007650|4097697 said:

The Trump voters here on PS have been coming out the the closet and revealing their identity.
Thank them.

God Bless America.

(Yawn.) This country has LAWS and the laws apply to all. These dirtbags, miscreants, misfits, counter-culture losers, louts, criminals, and cray-crays who are suddenly attracting everyone's notice were not created overnight by "Trump voters." They have been there all along. They just were not newsworthy then like they are now. Few of these incidents were even newsworthy until news media and social media sensitized everyone to start noticing and tallying. If you didn't ever notice or encounter any louts, racists, or "whatever" before, congratulations on having had a much more privileged and sheltered life than I've had.

And of course, Kenny, you've never been disruptive, annoying, insulting, or offensive on Pricescope or anything. Not the least little bit out of line, ever. >;-( :rolleyes:

Good grief. The laws of this country are not applied to all equally. You are correct that perpetrators of bad behavior pre-exist Trump. BUT, whenever a public figure appears to sanction bad behavior, those behaviors increase in the general population. And there are organizations who have been tallying these things for decades and whose statistics show a correlation between Trump's ascension and incidents of racial harassment/xeno-homophoia. Get your head out of your arse and learn something before you gift us with your pseudo intellectualism.

I sometimes respond in kind when someone is dismissive and insulting to others and especially when the insulting response is not fact based and meant to put someone in their place based on lack of fact or misinformation. AdaBeta has written some scathing commentary this week that caused me to wince and put me at the end of my tether.

Humm...but being so rude and intolerant to one another's opinions doesn't elevate us much from the intolerance of what we are discussing!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This is happening all over the country. Very similar to what happened after Brexit - incidents of hate crime and racism have been on the rise over there. Now the racists in America feel powerful and validated. But I understand why some Trump voters don't want to admit it - they want to pretend that they just did a good thing, not a horrible one.

Here's a link to middle school kids chanting "Build the wall" at lunchtime here in the US this week, after the election. Hispanic kids were reportedly in tears as this was happening.

https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/videos/1223825064374282/

DH was talking to a guy from France and a guy from the UK the night after the election. These are people he doesn't know, just people he "met" playing an online game. They both asked him "what the hell is going on over there?" One said "you guys just lost all the credibility you picked up when you voted in Obama. Nobody over here can believe it". The UK guy said "this is even worse than Brexit!" to which DH and the French guy agreed "nope. At least Trump is only for four years". I guess we will see!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Humm...but being so rude and intolerant to one another's opinions doesn't elevate us much from the intolerance of what we are discussing![/quote]
I don't always "go high" Bonfire. Sometimes folks don't hear unless you can discuss at their level.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1479008823|4097703 said:
Humm...but being so rude and intolerant to one another's opinions doesn't elevate us much from the intolerance of what we are discussing!
I don't always "go high" Bonfire. Sometimes folks don't hear unless you can discuss at their level.[/quote]

Is that really how you defend rudeness? :(sad

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1479009083|4097704 said:
I don't always "go high" Bonfire. Sometimes folks don't hear unless you can discuss at their level.

Is that really how you defend rudeness? :(sad[/quote]
Yeah Matata. Don't you know you are supposed to use terms like insular and laughably pathetic when you dismiss other people's concerns? We all have to strive not to offend the nanny net Bonfire as she keeps Reiterating to us that she didn't vote for Trump and we are all crazy or paranoid for reading the news and commenting on the rampant racism that seems more prevalent now. Gosh. Just don't read and don't listen to others. Stay in the comfort of your bubble and you should be fine!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Only mine.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1479010468|4097711 said:

Is that really how you defend rudeness? :(sad
Only mine.[/quote]

Touché

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Net nannies are generally not well received. It's pretty much up to the mods to determine what constitutes the difference between blunt and outright rude.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1478993748|4097600 said:
jeweln|1478992448|4097592 said:
Today at noon I went to the grocery store to get something . A man that looked like someone from Duck Dynasty was watching me while I was at the cashier (I am Asian ) .Suddenly he started saying loudly : why the F...are you in my country ? leave ! everyone heard him but kept silent .I left the store and got into my car . while getting out of the parking lot ,he came out of the store and showed me his middle finger .I rolled down my window and said : I was born here ,I am as American as you are ! he looked angry and started saying more bad words , I sped away . At home I was so depressed that I cried . I am 47 and have kids in college and nothing like this ever happened to me before . I did not tell my husband or kids , it was too humiliating . I also felt bad about talking to him , should have gone home without rolling down the window . :angryfire:
Do you live in a small town USA?

Something similar happened to an Asian friend today. We live in a Los Angeles suburb with a gazillion people.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Bonfire|1479008519|4097700 said:
Matata|1479007650|4097697 said:

Thank them.

God Bless America.

Being intolerant of intolerance isn't intolerant. Wow that sentence is confusing. For example, Anne says she hates Mexicans and they need to go back to Mexico. Frank says, "Anne, that opinion is unacceptable. That is full of hate and I cannot associate with someone who believes that." Anne thinks Frank is intolerant of her free speech and opinion. Nope. Frank is NOT intolerant. Anne is! Disagreeing and downright despising hatred, racism, etc. is the right and ethical thing! It is not intolerance aghhhh.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
A friend grew up in a diverse L.A. suburb and remembers being screamed at and spit on in the 80s. "Chinks go home" and all the good stuff. The local KKK chapter's head guy lives on his parents' street, a few miles away from his current house. He said one time a car full of guys chased them down and almost ran them over. Anyway, they found recruiting fliers after the election, YAY. My friend started carrying his gun to work this week and all of his guns are loaded and ready to go at home.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank them.

God Bless America.

Is it not valid for Matata to be upset by that rude comment? Saying "yawn" is super dismissive in response to a really sad story (especially when stories like this have been happening far too often since Trump). How is Matata the "bad guy" for responding in an exasperated way to someone who is disrespectful???

EDIT: I see that Stephen already explained this far better than I could
Being intolerant of intolerance isn't intolerant. Wow that sentence is confusing. For example, Anne says she hates Mexicans and they need to go back to Mexico. Frank says, "Anne, that opinion is unacceptable. That is full of hate and I cannot associate with someone who believes that." Anne thinks Frank is intolerant of her free speech and opinion. Nope. Frank is NOT intolerant. Anne is! Disagreeing and downright despising hatred, racism, etc. is the right and ethical thing! It is not intolerance aghhhh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1479017775|4097735 said:

Thank them.

God Bless America.

Is it not valid for Matata to be upset by that rude comment? Saying "yawn" is super dismissive in response to a really sad story (especially when stories like this have been happening far too often since Trump). How is Matata the "bad guy" for responding in an exasperated way to someone who is disrespectful???

Exactly and just for those who missed it the first time around...

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance but it is the right and ethical way to behave.

Philosopher Karl Popper defined the paradox in 1945 in The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1.
"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

We CANNOT tolerate intolerance and have every right (and in fact it is our duty IMO) to rally against intolerance whenever we see it happening. To turn a blind eye, to refuse to get involved when we see acts of injustices happening against our fellow human beings (or animals for that matter) is WRONG and just as guilty as those perpetrating those crimes against humanity and animal kind. :cry:

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
PSers ,
I really appreciate your support and kind words .I am scared of encountering another person like that . I really hope Trump himself would stop these actions ! I mean he will lose more if hate crimes increase .

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1479039157|4097763 said:
lovedogs|1479017775|4097735 said:

Thank them.

God Bless America.

Exactly and just for those who missed it the first time around...

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance but it is the right and ethical way to behave.

Philosopher Karl Popper defined the paradox in 1945 in The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1.
"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."

We CANNOT tolerate intolerance and have every right (and in fact it is our duty IMO) to rally against intolerance whenever we see it happening. To turn a blind eye, to refuse to get involved when we see acts of injustices happening against our fellow human beings (or animals for that matter) is WRONG and just as guilty as those perpetrating those crimes against humanity and animal kind. :cry:

I appreciate what you are saying Stephen, lovesdogs, and missy. However you misinterpreted what I apparently didn't word well.
Matata telling AdaBeta27 to "Get your head out of your arse and learn something before you gift us with your pseudo intellectualism."
Was rude and disrespectful to AdaBeta27. That's ALL! And Nala, I don't have the energy to combat your interpretation, you are just so far off base about me. So, enough of this threadjack. Jeweln I'm sorry. I hope you feel better. I hope everyone recovers.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1479008803|4097702 said:
This is happening all over the country. Very similar to what happened after Brexit - incidents of hate crime and racism have been on the rise over there. Now the racists in America feel powerful and validated. But I understand why some Trump voters don't want to admit it - they want to pretend that they just did a good thing, not a horrible one.

Here's a link to middle school kids chanting "Build the wall" at lunchtime here in the US this week, after the election. Hispanic kids were reportedly in tears as this was happening.

https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/videos/1223825064374282/

DH was talking to a guy from France and a guy from the UK the night after the election. These are people he doesn't know, just people he "met" playing an online game. They both asked him "what the hell is going on over there?" One said "you guys just lost all the credibility you picked up when you voted in Obama. Nobody over here can believe it". The UK guy said "this is even worse than Brexit!" to which DH and the French guy agreed "nope. At least Trump is only for four years". I guess we will see!

Too funny Katharath, My husband had and heard those very same comments on Wednesday as soon as he arrived at work.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1479000491|4097652 said:
jeweln|1478995956|4097607 said:
DF , I live in a diverse big city in central FL .
Hmmm, That's strange b/c usually that would happen in a small town...Huggs!

You're delusional if you think this stuff is only happening in small town USA. it's being reported across the country, in all states. Not just small Southern towns. Go to Shaun King's website, fb or Twitter if you want to know hourly the number of hateful incidences that are happening across your country.

Op - I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. While I don't live in the US (I'm in Canada), I have made a commitment to myself that I will peacefully intervene if I see any incident like the one you described.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jeweln|1479046528|4097782 said:
PSers ,
I really appreciate your support and kind words .I am scared of encountering another person like that . I really hope Trump himself would stop these actions ! I mean he will lose more if hate crimes increase .

Jeweln, I am terribly sad and very sorry for your encounter with a jerk. Most people find me annoying and think I'm too radical here, so I what I write now may be annoying to some, but I think in this climate being uber careful isn't a bad thing.

That said: I really advise you to please not confront anyone who does this to you, if no one says a thing, that makes them complicit in this guy/gals action or they are afraid also, with our gun culture and our 'I felt threatened' culture it could get out of hand if this person(s) carries a weapon and may throw back on you that you were verbally aggressive and they felt they had to shoot, may be I am paranoid, but please be extra careful. Peace.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1479053075|4097812 said:
jeweln|1479046528|4097782 said:
PSers ,

Jeweln, I am terribly sad and very sorry for your encounter with a jerk. Most people find me annoying and think I'm too radical here, so I what I write now may be annoying to some, but I think in this climate being uber careful isn't a bad thing.

That said: I really advise you to please not confront anyone who does this to you, if no one says a thing, that makes them complicit in this guy/gals action or they are afraid also, with our gun culture and our 'I felt threatened' culture it could get out of hand if this person(s) carries a weapon and may throw back on you that you were verbally aggressive and they felt they had to shoot, may be I am paranoid, but please be extra careful. Peace.

So true Tekate. Excellent point. Someone should have called the authorities though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, Let me be the first to say I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Overt racism, if you've never dealt with it before, is frightening.

Now, that said, I've dealt with it my entire life. I've had folk yell at me "N***er go back to Africa", to which I admittedly am not an angel and gave it back in the same ugly fashion. I still give it back but I try not to stoop to that level at my advanced age. The guy that put his hands on me back when I was in college? I broke one of them. You touch me and all bets are off.

The words used to really hurt, I will never deny that, but from childhood I had to learn to let it slide off and succeed regardless of who they came from.

I worry more about physical action. Because my self preservation is high and I will mess a mutha up. Racism didn't start after Trump or during Trump, its ALWAYS been here. Is it high right now? sure, but thats not a surprise to me. I wish I could say it was. But there is just nothing new under the sun. I'm am as you can tell, very jaded.

Having lived in several places in my lifetime, my personal experience is that I would rather know you hate me than not so I can defuse it or, if I can't, protect myself. I'm the type of person that I would rather you say that shit to my face than behind my back. When I lived in Mass, the racism was absolutely there, but keep under wraps.

Is it all disgusting as hell? YES! But its also a fact of life in this country.

You have no reason to be ashamed or even humiliated because you're not the one who was being a sh*tbag. A bit of advice though. You're in Florida, If you don't like or want to get a ccw, you still have the ability to get some pepper spray (I recommend the gel kind) keep it on your person because in this climate if you need to you can protect yourself if you absolutely need to.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian is absolutely right about protecting yourself.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1479055248|4097827 said:
Arcadian is absolutely right about protecting yourself.

She is. Arcadian, after reading your post, you confirmed what I had already woke to. I think that I had repressed all of the racism I had encountered. Probably Bc I felt safe that discrimination could be reported, etc. but you are right. It's been there all along and I appreciate your perspective.

Redwood, you seem to share opinions here with Ruby59, so I'd like to thank the both of you. I hope she reads this post. I think that all along this election and even before, you've been telling others to just grow the ****, Don't coddle your kids, don't let bullies hurt you, don't be a helicopter parent, etc. I guess that I've been too blinded by my liberal teachings to realize that what made me a strong human being was the fact that I was raised the way you and Ruby advocate. And I do have a thick skin. I think I started buying into the liberal ideals in college and Bc I'm a teacher, I teach love, compassion and second chances. But I now realize that if I revert back to my old self, adopt my killer instinct and reach deep inside, I will find my repressed hatred and prejudice. And I can hate back, yell racist comments back, unleash prejudice just as much as the next person. And you are right, I can also go out and learn how to use my hubby's guns. Life ain't gonna be so bad! Thanks for the wake-up call! It will be Every woman for herself, and if there's one thing I know, I'm a fighter. I always have been. So thanks again.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Tetake
You are absolutely right ! if there is a next time , I am not confronting these people . I will just ignore and exit asap .

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jeweln -

Hugs! Thank you for sharing your story. These are voices that we cannot let be silenced, and it takes great courage to stand up and share experiences like this. Please know that you did nothing wrong -- all the wrong was on this man acting out his racism and hate. Do you have anyone near by who can help you process this event? Don't forget to practice self care, especially now.

I know I have been in situations of injustice where, in hindsight, I wish I had acted or spoken up to help others. I say this not to justify the actions of the bistanders, but as a confession of how I - and many others - should be reflective on our actions and in-actions in order to be a better community for those around us facing injustice. Speaking as a white man, part of dismantling racism is looking critically at ourselves too.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian
Thanks ! I will be ordering pepper spray from Amazon to keep in my handbag , I hope I wont need to use it though .
Chroman
Thanks . Ironically there is a police station right beside the grocery store , but I am the type of person who does not want trouble .

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to reiterate that people should take whatever actions they safely can whether they are the victims of or witnesses to hate crimes. Carry pepper spray, take photos of the perps and their license plate numbers, enroll in a self defense class, and then take action to hold them accountable.
https://thetempest.co/2016/11/11/news/frat-boys-messed-with-the-wrong-woc/

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1479003819|4097679 said:
In 1958 my grandfather open up a Chinese restaurant in a little town call Davis,Ca. , and 95% of his customers were white, seem like they got along just fine. This was from 1958 - 1967.

I know Davis well. It is a university town, and its liberal. Always has been.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen far too many news stories and stories from friends about incidents like this in the past week. I am especially concerned for all my muslim and obviously lgbt friends. One of them was suckerpunched on a bus the other day - fortunately just a single punch, not a whole beating, but how gross is it that I have to say that?

My favorite is the totally white guy who was practicing spanish with his grandmother: http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/dallas-sous-chef-told-get-out-of-my-country-we-won-after-speaking-spanish-to-his-grandmother-8897313

Yeah. There's a reason those of us who are so angry at Trump getting elected are so angry. Because we don't want to see our friends and families attacked like this, and we don't want to see our government complicit in this, and because we knew it was going to happen, and because we know it is going to get worse. Given that Steve Bannon is apparently going to be Trump's chief strategist, and no Republican has yet spoken out against these hate crimes, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a lot worse.

Trump supporters, if this isn't what you voted for, stand up to it. Do more to stand up to it. Write your legislators about your concerns, stand up to any acquaintances saying hateful things. They're going to listen to people who voted for them more than us "bleeding heart libtards."

Some website had a cartoon the other day that said the best way to intervene without escalating is to go up to the person who is being harassed and just start a small-talk conversation, keep them focused on you, and ignore whoever is doing the harassing. That would not have occurred to me but I will try it if I see something happening.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results