shape
carat
color
clarity

The Day After, Reflections

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I had posted earlier about a neighbor who had a Trump sign on his front lawn that had suddenly disappeared.

I think it was Kenny who said I should ask them.

Well when I was walking the dogs I overheard a discussion he had with another neighbor that someone had defaced it and he was afraid for his family. And I live in what I thought was a pretty nice neighborhood.

So I can understand why some would want to keep it to themselves.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478734773|4096064 said:
Seriously? The utter nasty shit that has been spewed here just on PS toward conservatives and you wonder why people would not say anything? The other thread that shows 23 voters for Trump, I know maybe 2 or 3 that actually posted.

Yes, the piling on mentality and bullying accusations from PSers is disheartening

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478733776|4096058 said:
Matata|1478732469|4096046 said:

Sorry, I guess I missed the memo stating that us "white, evangelical Christians" weren't allowed a voice or vote. That we were just to supposed to sit back, shut up, stay home, and pay our taxes while not having a say in how they are spent or by whom. My bad. :roll:

And some democrats wonder WHY people voted the way they did and why our country is so divided. :wall:

I wouldn't suggest that. What I resent is their unbridled joy and praising the lord over (what they think will be) their ability to shove their tenets down the throats of everyone until we're choking on their righteousness. Their fear of "the other" so intense and their overwhelming desire to hang onto their power and infect government with religious beliefs that no longer represent the changing populace of the country. Bathroom laws anyone? Pence believing you can electrocute gays straight. Christopher Hitchens nailed it when he said "religion poisons everything."

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, I think most people who dislike the man feel so because of the terrible things he has said. It's not okay to ridicule handicapped people, say all the awful racist things he has said and boasted about assualting women. Nowhere in church would these comments be considered acceptable. These are the reasons people didn't admit to voting for him. I never felt Romney was an awful person. I wouldn't be feeling like this if Romney was our new president. Can you really not see why people are upset by Trump?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1478722390|4095969 said:
eta: Obama had a congress that pushed through Obamacare, but for 6 years of his 8 years he did NOT have a majority in Congress so it was horrible.. Trump does NOT have that, he should be able to pass each and every promise, and people who voted for him should hold him to it. I held Obama to his promises.
Thanks God, b/c Obama Care alone did enough damage to our economy.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478732791|4096049 said:
part gypsy|1478723421|4095975 said:
If we went to single payer there would not be this problem, and everyone would be covered. THAT's where we should head to, not going back to every man for themselves.

As someone who has had the (dis)pleasure of having to navigate the VA healthcare system, waiting for weeks & sometimes months to get critical appts, and sit around literally for 6+ hours waiting for my whopping 10 minutes with a dr, I respectfully disagree with a single-payer healthcare system. No thanks! :hand:

Where are you? my brother is a veteran, in San Diego (navy) and he has NEVER EVER had this problem with the VA..ever. He had a stroke and was taken immediately... he's never sat more than 1 hour (which is normal in the real world).. and he was in the service for 5 years! free healthcare.. My sister in law is from Vancouver, her parents have never waited for a critical appointment (hip replacement).. I for one think the VA should be eliminated totally and one get's a card, you go to who accepts it and that is it.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1478733693|4096056 said:
Chrono|1478716970|4095881 said:
part gypsy|1478716684|4095877 said:
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.
I am waiting to see the mass deportations.
I am waiting to see the Mexican Wall go up, paid by the Mexicans.
I am waiting to see Muslim ban go into effect.
I am waiting to see the US pull funding and support out of NATO and UN.
I am waiting to see the US renegade on Trade Agreements.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

My husband was working at the office of a major Chinese state newspaper yesterday and he reported that his mainland Chinese colleagues were openly ecstatic that Trump won. Somewhere in Beijing Zhongnanhai (the Chinese government equivalent of the white house), Xi Jinping must be throwing a celebration party.

Wow! why do you think they were elated? Because Trump is going to slap tariffs on Chinese goods... I'm surprised because I have not read anywhere that this will be good for the Chinese.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1478736197|4096081 said:
eta: Obama had a congress that pushed through Obamacare, but for 6 years of his 8 years he did NOT have a majority in Congress so it was horrible.. Trump does NOT have that, he should be able to pass each and every promise, and people who voted for him should hold him to it. I held Obama to his promises.
Thanks God, b/c Obama Care alone did enough damage to our economy.

So thank god Trump has a full arsenal of republicans to pass all his promises DF.. there should be no wiggle, the republicans cannot fight themselves, otherwise they look the fool, so let's see him do what he said he would.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478734448|4096062 said:
Just the fact that people wouldn't admit they were voting for Trump speaks volumes. I would think if he were an upstanding person so many would not be ashamed to say they were voting for him.
I am not so sure people were ashamed by the fact that they were voting for Trump.

I think they didn't want to catch crap from all of the screaming Liberals. They didn't want to be called racist, xenophobic, pussy grabbers for voting for Trump. (That will shut a person up real fast!)

I think we need to get honest with ourselves and really reflect on what happened here. I know I will be doing a lot of thinking.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1478737107|4096090 said:
Just the fact that people wouldn't admit they were voting for Trump speaks volumes. I would think if he were an upstanding person so many would not be ashamed to say they were voting for him.
I am not so sure people were ashamed by the fact that they were voting for Trump.

I think they didn't want to catch crap from all of the screaming Liberals. They didn't want to be called racist, xenophobic, pussy grabbers for voting for Trump. (That will shut a person up real fast!)

I think we need to get honest with ourselves and really reflect on what happened here. I know I will be doing a lot of thinking.

I know you are correct House Cat. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he had so many supporters and that he is our president.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:wall: Another memo I missed - that we *must* declare publicly our political choices so as to ensure everyone is fully aware of our positions on some of our most personal and deeply held beliefs, whether we want their opinions or not.

Seriously, why is it any of your business, and what exactly do YOU do to make someone feel welcome, respected and comfortable talking about their choice on here? Perhaps some people just do not discuss politics at all with anyone outside the immediate circle; doesn't make their feelings and vote any less important than yours, and certainly doesn't warrant such arrogant judgment. :shhh:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had written this.

I don’t think you understand us right now.
I think you think this is about politics.
I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.
I can only tell you that you’re wrong. This is not about losing an election. This isn’t about not winning a contest. This is about two very different ways of seeing the world.
Hillary supporters believe in a diverse America; one where religion or skin color or sexual orientation or place of birth aren’t liabilities or deficiencies or moral defects. Her campaign was one of inclusion and connection and interdependency. It was about building bridges and breaking ceilings. It was about going high.
Trump supporters believe in a very selective America; one that is largely white and straight and Christian, and the voting verified this. Donald Trump has never made any assertions otherwise. He ran a campaign of fear and exclusion and isolation—and that’s the vision of the world those who voted for him have endorsed.
They have aligned with the wall-builder and the professed p*ssy-grabber, and they have co-signed his body of work, regardless of the reasons they give for their vote:
Every horrible thing Donald Trump ever said about women or Muslims or people of color has now been validated.
Every profanity-laced press conference and every call to bully protestors and every ignorant diatribe has been endorsed.
Every piece of anti-LGBTQ legislation Mike Pence has championed has been signed-off on.
Half of our country has declared these things acceptable, noble, American.
This is the disconnect and the source of our grief today. It isn’t a political defeat that we’re lamenting, it’s a defeat for Humanity.
We’re not angry that our candidate lost. We’re angry because our candidate’s losing means this country will be less safe, less kind, and less available to a huge segment of its population, and that’s just the truth.
Those who have always felt vulnerable are now left more so. Those whose voices have been silenced will be further quieted. Those who always felt marginalized will be pushed further to the periphery. Those who feared they were seen as inferior now have confirmation in actual percentages.
Those things have essentially been campaign promises of Donald Trump, and so many of our fellow citizens have said this is what they want too.
This has never been about politics.
This is not about one candidate over the other.
It’s not about one’s ideas over another’s.
It is not blue vs. red.
It’s not her emails vs. his bad language.
It’s not her dishonesty vs. his indecency.
It’s about overt racism and hostility toward minorities.
It’s about religion being weaponized.
It’s about crassness and vulgarity and disregard for women.
It’s about a barricaded, militarized, bully nation.
It’s about an unapologetic, open-faced ugliness.
And it is not only that these things have been ratified by our nation that grieve us; all this hatred, fear, racism, bigotry, and intolerance—it’s knowing that these things have been amen-ed by our neighbors, our families, our friends, those we work with and worship alongside. That is the most horrific thing of all. We now know how close this is.
It feels like living in enemy territory being here now, and there’s no way around that. We wake up today in a home we no longer recognize. We are grieving the loss of a place we used to love but no longer do. This may be America today but it is not the America we believe in or recognize or want.
This is not about a difference of political opinion, as that’s far too small to mourn over. It’s about a fundamental difference in how we view the worth of all people—not just those who look or talk or think or vote the way we do.
Grief always laments what might have been, the future we were robbed of, the tomorrow that we won’t get to see, and that is what we walk through today. As a nation we had an opportunity to affirm the beauty of our diversity this day, to choose ideas over sound bytes, to let everyone know they had a place at the table, to be the beacon of goodness and decency we imagine that we are—and we said no.
The Scriptures say that weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning. We can’t see that dawn coming any time soon.
And this is why we grieve.
- John Pavlovitz

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478737469|4096096 said:

:wall: Another memo I missed - that we *must* declare publicly our political choices so as to ensure everyone is fully aware of our positions on some of our most personal and deeply held beliefs, whether we want their opinions or not.

Seriously, why is it any of your business, and what exactly do YOU do to make someone feel welcome, respected and comfortable talking about their choice on here? Perhaps some people just do not discuss politics at all with anyone outside the immediate circle; doesn't make their feelings and vote any less important than yours, and certainly doesn't warrant such arrogant judgment. :shhh:

You never cease to amaze me.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata I am truly sorry that you and others feel that way.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478736091|4096080 said:
Red, I think most people who dislike the man feel so because of the terrible things he has said. It's not okay to ridicule handicapped people, say all the awful racist things he has said and boasted about assualting women. Nowhere in church would these comments be considered acceptable. These are the reasons people didn't admit to voting for him. I never felt Romney was an awful person. I wouldn't be feeling like this if Romney was our new president. Can you really not see why people are upset by Trump?
I do understand. I did not vote for him either time but I had that luxury in my state in the general election. If I lived in NC like JCJ I would have voted for Trump. Does that change your view of me? The fact that Clinton was so egregious a choice for me and that you like her does not make me think less of you. Do you see my point?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for you posting that. Mr. Pavlovitz hit the nail on the head.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1478735591|4096074 said:
JoCoJenn|1478733776|4096058 said:
Matata|1478732469|4096046 said:

Sorry, I guess I missed the memo stating that us "white, evangelical Christians" weren't allowed a voice or vote. That we were just to supposed to sit back, shut up, stay home, and pay our taxes while not having a say in how they are spent or by whom. My bad. :roll:

And some democrats wonder WHY people voted the way they did and why our country is so divided. :wall:

I wouldn't suggest that. What I resent is their unbridled joy and praising the lord over (what they think will be) their ability to shove their tenets down the throats of everyone until we're choking on their righteousness. Their fear of "the other" so intense and their overwhelming desire to hang onto their power and infect government with religious beliefs that no longer represent the changing populace of the country. Bathroom laws anyone? Pence believing you can electrocute gays straight. Christopher Hitchens nailed it when he said "religion poisons everything."

FYI on the bathroom issue, since it was largely centered in my state, it was NEVER an issue in NC until liberals from outside NC came in and planted the issue for political purposes (much like they did at Trump's rallies), and coerced Charlotte's mayor to pass an unlawful ordinance, which the state then had to legislate to coincide WITH the law.

Democrats have largely dismissed the beliefs of others, yet have insisted everyone conform to what THEY wanted, believed, etc, and those people were just supposed to roll over and accept it "because the (then) majority spoke." More hypocrisy ... I find it interesting how you pick and choose which groups' beliefs warrant "equality, tolerance & respect" and which ones do not. :roll:

Again I say: And some democrats wonder WHY people voted the way they did and why our country is so divided. :wall:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never have I been so grateful for sweet tasty alcoholic beverages to keep from saying "shuuuuuut uuuuuuup already" out loud.

Thank you alcohol!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478738919|4096111 said:
Democrats have largely dismissed the beliefs of others, yet have insisted everyone conform to what THEY wanted, believed, etc, and those people were just supposed to roll over and accept it "because the (then) majority spoke." More hypocrisy ... I find it interesting how you pick and choose which groups' beliefs warrant "equality, tolerance & respect" and which ones do not. :roll:

Again I say: And some democrats wonder WHY people voted the way they did and why our country is so divided. :wall:

You're going to hurt yourself if you keep banging your head on that wall.

As far as how I pick groups -- I'm pretty consistent choosing groups that practice "equality, tolerance & respect" regardless of how one chooses to label them -- left, right, religious, anti-, pro-, conservative, liberal. I diverge, and my choices will always remain fluid, when a group imposes their beliefs and that imposition sanctions inflicting physical and emotional harm. That's a lot different, imo, than what you stated above Dems above. And yes, that means I engage in intolerance of intolerance. You may think there's hypocrisy evident in that statement. I do not. If you've read (with an open mind), Hitchens, Dawkins, and Harris among others, we can discuss and perhaps learn from each other. Otherwise :wall:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1478740507|4096123 said:
Never have I been so grateful for sweet tasty alcoholic beverages to keep from saying "shuuuuuut uuuuuuup already" out loud.

Thank you alcohol!

I'm more of a dry, red person, but the jist of your sentiment is not lost on me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Tekate|1478730564|4096021 said:
momhappy|1478723661|4095977 said:
momhappy|1478721993|4095961 said:
Tekate|1478721451|4095955 said:
Chrono|1478716970|4095881 said:
part gypsy|1478716684|4095877 said:
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.
I am waiting to see the mass deportations.
I am waiting to see the Mexican Wall go up, paid by the Mexicans.
I am waiting to see Muslim ban go into effect.
I am waiting to see the US pull funding and support out of NATO and UN.
I am waiting to see the US renegade on Trade Agreements.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

If he does not build a wall, then he is a liar..
If he does not mass deport, then he is a liar.
If he does not place a Muslim ban, then he is a liar
If he does not pull funding and support for NATO and the UN, then he is a liar
If he does not renage on Trade Agreements, he is a liar.

I am waiting for him pass ALL his tax cuts.
I am waiting for him to pass massive tariffs on Mexico and China.
I am waiting for him to repeal Obamacare and place his own plan which will be 'better'.
I am counting and waiting on him to bomb and take the oil from ISIS (a huge promise).

if he does not live up to these promises then he will be a liar and a sham. If he lives up to them it will be very interesting
to see what kind of America we will have.. But the Electoral college has spoken and we shall see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people know the difference between campaign promises and the real world?
Did Obama follow through on all of his promises? No, but even I know that doesn't necessarily make him a liar (and I'm not even a fan of Obama).
I have no idea what kind of job Trump will do. In fact, none of us do because he has no political experience and we don't have a crystal ball. He may fail miserably, he may be a raging success, or he might fall somewhere in between. I'm fine with waiting to see what unfolds because that's all we've got right now.

excuse but isn't that why people voted for Trump? his promises, I voted for Obama because he said he'd stop the wars, he didn't and thought seriously about not voting for him again, but the economy was humming along and I felt that what's his name, the rich guy from MA.. didn't care about the 'deplorables'..

I don't know why people voted for Trump. I can't speak for them. I would assume that people vote for candidates for different reasons.
In terms of campaign promises, sure, they appeal to some of us on some levels. However, I didn't think that most people took every campaign promise literally. For example, I understood the "wall" talk to mean some form of immigration controls, not kicking everyone out and locking our borders. I didn't really think Sanders (and later Clinton) would actually provide free college either, but I assumed that they meant that they would work towards making education more affordable. I understand that each presidency has a unique set of circumstances and some presidents get more done than others.

Then why did he say those things? I took Obama at his word and I took Trump as his. I know why people voted for Trump, one he's going to build a wall.. The only way Sanders or Clinton could provide free college was to raise taxes and to have a full democratic house, that wouldn't have happened. To me you are making excuses, he said and he should do it.. he no reason not to because he has a full republican majority.. If you are saying that we shouldn't believe campaign promises then what are we to believe.. I don't get it, I have always listened.

I take campaign promises as issues a candidate would like to focus on should they become president - not necessarily things that they will absolutely get done. I'm not making excuses. I'm referring to EVERY candidate, during EVERY campaign. Candidates say all kinds of things to get elected. I took the "wall" talk to mean that Trump would like to focus on immigration reform. If some people feel/felt that he will truly build a wall, then maybe he will actually build a wall. How would I know?
I'm not saying don't believe in campaign promises. I'm just saying that things are more complicated than that and I assumed that people knew that?
Anywho.... I can see this thread is going in the same direction as the others and now that the election is over, I'm moving on.
Have a nice evening everyone.
:wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1478741687|4096127 said:
Elliot86|1478740507|4096123 said:

Thank you alcohol!

I'm more of a dry, red person, but the jist of your sentiment is not lost on me.

I don't think my brain could handle the incessant yammering AND tannins :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1478740743|4096124 said:
JoCoJenn|1478738919|4096111 said:

You're going to hurt yourself if you keep banging your head on that wall.

As far as how I pick groups -- I'm pretty consistent choosing groups that practice "equality, tolerance & respect" regardless of how one chooses to label them -- left, right, religious, anti-, pro-, conservative, liberal. I diverge, and my choices will always remain fluid, when a group imposes their beliefs and that imposition sanctions inflicting physical and emotional harm. That's a lot different, imo, than what you stated above Dems above. And yes, that means I engage in intolerance of intolerance. You may think there's hypocrisy evident in that statement. I do not. If you've read (with an open mind), Hitchens, Dawkins, and Harris among others, we can discuss and perhaps learn from each other. Otherwise :wall:

Matata - unfortunately, this is where the PS line gets drawn for me as this convo is now treading into religion, and I don't wish to break the forum rules by going "there" just so I can continue debating or discussing it.

For me, it simply comes down to this - you don't get to choose what I think, feel, believe any more than I can or should for you. But as a person, I respect you enough to NOT label you for your beliefs (be them political, religious, global warming, etc), especially if I don't have your perspective. Is it so much to expect such a basic courtesy in return? From adults?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Bonfire|1478727360|4095994 said:
You can calmly explain to your children that this is what living in a democracy is. Americans in all walks of life vote for the issues that are important to them. This is a teachable moment on why it's so important to vote. Sometimes we're happy with the outcome and some times not. But it's our process even as imperfect as it is, it's what our forefathers fought and died for. We have the freedom to choose.

That pretty much sums it up. My 19 year old son voted for the first time and he didn't like Hilary (he voted for Bernie in the primary) but I told him if he didn't vote in the general election, he could not complain about it. He didn't want to vote, but he told me he heard my voice in his head saying it was his duty to vote and he registered for absentee ballot and voted. '

He told me that foreign students on campus are so confused how Trump won.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
BeekeeperBetty|1478727655|4095998 said:
asscherisme|1478725788|4095990 said:
I had a very difficult time explaining to my children this morning how this could happen when I don't understand it myself.
Same here. 2 of my kids cried themselves to sleep last night because they are terrified their friends are going to be deported. How do you handle that? After all, they've heard about these deportations from Trump's own mouth.

Yup. Just awful. No other words.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1478717931|4095896 said:
My thoughts?
A big f-you to the mainstream media that tried to force Hillary on the people.
Not Hillary and the NRA won the election.
It will be very interesting to see what Trump does as president. Who knows he may turn out to be a good president.
Where in my opinion Hillary would have never made a good president.
I want to see a woman president someday, but not just because she is a woman but because she is the best person for the job.
I have kept pretty quiet this election season because I don't care to talk about it and have many friends on both sides of the political spectrum. So this will be my comment about it.

How about some punkie pie?

So now that Trump won you feel more at liberty to insult Hillary? Bc you don't fear you will lose customers now that you know you were not alone in supporting Trump? Not good business Bc most people on this forum do not share your feelings. Just saying

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1478737840|4096099 said:
I wish I had written this.

I don’t think you understand us right now.
I think you think this is about politics.
I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.
I can only tell you that you’re wrong. This is not about losing an election. This isn’t about not winning a contest. This is about two very different ways of seeing the world.
Hillary supporters believe in a diverse America; one where religion or skin color or sexual orientation or place of birth aren’t liabilities or deficiencies or moral defects. Her campaign was one of inclusion and connection and interdependency. It was about building bridges and breaking ceilings. It was about going high.
Trump supporters believe in a very selective America; one that is largely white and straight and Christian, and the voting verified this. Donald Trump has never made any assertions otherwise. He ran a campaign of fear and exclusion and isolation—and that’s the vision of the world those who voted for him have endorsed.
They have aligned with the wall-builder and the professed p*ssy-grabber, and they have co-signed his body of work, regardless of the reasons they give for their vote:
Every horrible thing Donald Trump ever said about women or Muslims or people of color has now been validated.
Every profanity-laced press conference and every call to bully protestors and every ignorant diatribe has been endorsed.
Every piece of anti-LGBTQ legislation Mike Pence has championed has been signed-off on.
Half of our country has declared these things acceptable, noble, American.
This is the disconnect and the source of our grief today. It isn’t a political defeat that we’re lamenting, it’s a defeat for Humanity.
We’re not angry that our candidate lost. We’re angry because our candidate’s losing means this country will be less safe, less kind, and less available to a huge segment of its population, and that’s just the truth.
Those who have always felt vulnerable are now left more so. Those whose voices have been silenced will be further quieted. Those who always felt marginalized will be pushed further to the periphery. Those who feared they were seen as inferior now have confirmation in actual percentages.
Those things have essentially been campaign promises of Donald Trump, and so many of our fellow citizens have said this is what they want too.
This has never been about politics.
This is not about one candidate over the other.
It’s not about one’s ideas over another’s.
It is not blue vs. red.
It’s not her emails vs. his bad language.
It’s not her dishonesty vs. his indecency.
It’s about overt racism and hostility toward minorities.
It’s about religion being weaponized.
It’s about crassness and vulgarity and disregard for women.
It’s about a barricaded, militarized, bully nation.
It’s about an unapologetic, open-faced ugliness.
And it is not only that these things have been ratified by our nation that grieve us; all this hatred, fear, racism, bigotry, and intolerance—it’s knowing that these things have been amen-ed by our neighbors, our families, our friends, those we work with and worship alongside. That is the most horrific thing of all. We now know how close this is.
It feels like living in enemy territory being here now, and there’s no way around that. We wake up today in a home we no longer recognize. We are grieving the loss of a place we used to love but no longer do. This may be America today but it is not the America we believe in or recognize or want.
This is not about a difference of political opinion, as that’s far too small to mourn over. It’s about a fundamental difference in how we view the worth of all people—not just those who look or talk or think or vote the way we do.
Grief always laments what might have been, the future we were robbed of, the tomorrow that we won’t get to see, and that is what we walk through today. As a nation we had an opportunity to affirm the beauty of our diversity this day, to choose ideas over sound bytes, to let everyone know they had a place at the table, to be the beacon of goodness and decency we imagine that we are—and we said no.
The Scriptures say that weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning. We can’t see that dawn coming any time soon.
And this is why we grieve.
- John Pavlovitz

This. Yes. And already starting to see all the closet Trump supporters come out who still don't get it! They don't get it Bc they don't belong to any of the groups he spews hate on. And they feel ever so empowered now that they have elected a president who shares their values. No more shame in supporting a racist or bigot or liar Bc he now holds a very important office. it is now permissible to be racist and sexist Bc our president is.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
I'm scared.

I'm scared that my Muslim neighbor who is probably 8 years old will be scared to wear her hijab.

I'm scared that the businesses on Central Avenue that are run by immigrants will be shut down because they'll be deported.

I'm scared that I'll not be able to have an abortion an be forced to carry a pregnancy that's not viable. 1998, my mother had an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy outside the uterus, in this case, in her fallopian tube), and it ruptured and caused internal bleeding. She was 6 weeks pregnant. In order to save her life, she had to have an emergency abortion because she was hemorrhaging. But it was botched because some of the placenta/yolk sac was left behind and then she had to get on chemo to kill those cells.

The thing is that sometimes abortion pills are needed to expel a miscarriage to prevent sepsis. Happened to a friend of mine who had a miscarriage at 9 weeks when the heart stopped at 7 weeks. That's why I worry.

My fiancé is black. Our kids will be mixed. It's complex.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Locker room talk" argument is so offensive. It is victim blaming and feeds into a major problem we have in this society. I don't buy into "boys will be boys" theory. There is right and wrong. No one, male or female, should be touched unless wanted. That is the ultimate boundary violation. I hoped for more. I think our country deserves more.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
redwood66|1478734773|4096064 said:
Seriously? The utter nasty shit that has been spewed here just on PS toward conservatives and you wonder why people would not say anything? The other thread that shows 23 voters for Trump, I know maybe 2 or 3 that actually posted.

This.
I mainly lurk on PS but I didn't comment on my political choices because the majority of the people here are liberals - I felt my response would be attacked.
I've been called a racist 15 times today because I voted for Trump. Apparently I am not entitled to an opinion because I'm a conservative. :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results