shape
carat
color
clarity

The Day After, Reflections

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The liberal media needs to stop pushing their agenda and their lies on the American people. It was so obvious how biased they were for Clinton, especially in the debates. Guess they really got it wrong. 50% of the country saw through the BS.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1478722390|4095969 said:
momhappy|1478721993|4095961 said:
Tekate|1478721451|4095955 said:
Chrono|1478716970|4095881 said:
part gypsy|1478716684|4095877 said:
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.
I am waiting to see the mass deportations.
I am waiting to see the Mexican Wall go up, paid by the Mexicans.
I am waiting to see Muslim ban go into effect.
I am waiting to see the US pull funding and support out of NATO and UN.
I am waiting to see the US renegade on Trade Agreements.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

If he does not build a wall, then he is a liar..
If he does not mass deport, then he is a liar.
If he does not place a Muslim ban, then he is a liar
If he does not pull funding and support for NATO and the UN, then he is a liar
If he does not renage on Trade Agreements, he is a liar.

I am waiting for him pass ALL his tax cuts.
I am waiting for him to pass massive tariffs on Mexico and China.
I am waiting for him to repeal Obamacare and place his own plan which will be 'better'.
I am counting and waiting on him to bomb and take the oil from ISIS (a huge promise).

if he does not live up to these promises then he will be a liar and a sham. If he lives up to them it will be very interesting
to see what kind of America we will have.. But the Electoral college has spoken and we shall see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people know the difference between campaign promises and the real world?
Did Obama follow through on all of his promises? No, but even I know that doesn't necessarily make him a liar (and I'm not even a fan of Obama).
I have no idea what kind of job Trump will do. In fact, none of us do because he has no political experience and we don't have a crystal ball. He may fail miserably, he may be a raging success, or he might fall somewhere in between. I'm fine with waiting to see what unfolds because that's all we've got right now.

excuse but isn't that why people voted for Trump? his promises, I voted for Obama because he said he'd stop the wars, he didn't and thought seriously about not voting for him again, but the economy was humming along and I felt that what's his name, the rich guy from MA.. didn't care about the 'deplorables'..

eta: Obama had a congress that pushed through Obamacare, but for 6 years of his 8 years he did NOT have a majority in Congress so it was horrible.. Trump does NOT have that, he should be able to pass each and every promise, and people who voted for him should hold him to it. I held Obama to his promises.

Yes Trump has no excuses not to pass everything he wants since there is a GOP majority, both houses As far as creating jobs, trickle down economic theory never did anything other than balloon the deficit and make the 1%ers even richer. Wages are stagnant. Parity between working and executive class was much better in the 50's when executive compensation wasn't so insane and there was a more progressive tax structure. As far as bringing back manufacturing to the US, he never showed any interest in that when he was a businessmen (other than hiring Americans but then not paying when the bills came due). Don't think he will follow through on that promise. OTOH when we elected Obama, we were at the precipice of a global recession. We recovered from that and jobs followed. There are certain jobs in manufacturing, small towns that may never come back. That's just reality. The ACA was compromised by a number of items republicans introduced. My belief (and I have a post-doc which compared health care systems across the globe) is it wasn't comprehensive enough. If we went to single payer there would not be this problem, and everyone would be covered. THAT's where we should head to, not going back to every man for themselves.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478722957|4095971 said:
I wish I could be like others and put a happy and optimistic face on this, but I cannot. We have done away with our checks and balances; current senate will not even let Obama fill the supreme court seat.. Maybe listening to Hamilton too much, but Trump is similar to Aaron Burr; power at any cost. And it will cost all of us.

The above is what the new President of the USA said he will do whilst campaigning.

I am waiting for him to repeal Obamacare and place his own plan which will be 'better'.
I am counting and waiting on him to bomb and take the oil from ISIS (a huge promise).

if he does not live up to these promises then he will be a liar and a sham. If he lives up to them it will be very interesting
to see what kind of America we will have.. But the Electoral college has spoken and we shall see.

For the record, I'm still waiting for my health insurance savings of $2500/year and the ability to keep the doctors I had and loved, so you'll need to get in line! :naughty:

I had the ability to keep my doctors, no problem, but I was not saving, since my husband and I retired so we had to pay 1,200 per month. It showed me the good my company (and my husbands) did by offering health care (which by the way was getting more expensive every year also).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people know the difference between campaign promises and the real world?
Did Obama follow through on all of his promises? No, but even I know that doesn't necessarily make him a liar (and I'm not even a fan of Obama).
I have no idea what kind of job Trump will do. In fact, none of us do because he has no political experience and we don't have a crystal ball. He may fail miserably, he may be a raging success, or he might fall somewhere in between. I'm fine with waiting to see what unfolds because that's all we've got right now.

excuse but isn't that why people voted for Trump? his promises, I voted for Obama because he said he'd stop the wars, he didn't and thought seriously about not voting for him again, but the economy was humming along and I felt that what's his name, the rich guy from MA.. didn't care about the 'deplorables'..

eta: Obama had a congress that pushed through Obamacare, but for 6 years of his 8 years he did NOT have a majority in Congress so it was horrible.. Trump does NOT have that, he should be able to pass each and every promise, and people who voted for him should hold him to it. I held Obama to his promises.

I don't know why people voted for Trump. I can't speak for them. I would assume that people vote for candidates for different reasons.
In terms of campaign promises, sure, they appeal to some of us on some levels. However, I didn't think that most people took every campaign promise literally. For example, I understood the "wall" talk to mean some form of immigration controls, not kicking everyone out and locking our borders. I didn't really think Sanders (and later Clinton) would actually provide free college either, but I assumed that they meant that they would work towards making education more affordable. I understand that each presidency has a unique set of circumstances and some presidents get more done than others.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Michael Moore's FB page, just because

Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).

Let's try to get this all done by noon today.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would direct you to the county map of the US for number 5 on Michael Moore's list. It is profoundly red even in many of those blue states. Popular vote goes to urban populations by virtue of their populations and I don't want New York and Los Angeles deciding for me. That is the reason for the electoral college so that the entire country has a say in our elections. I am originally from northern California and they have long wanted to become the state of Jefferson. Likewise the eastern side of Oregon and Washington.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I had a very difficult time explaining to my children this morning how this could happen when I don't understand it myself.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can calmly explain to your children that this is what living in a democracy is. Americans in all walks of life vote for the issues that are important to them. This is a teachable moment on why it's so important to vote. Sometimes we're happy with the outcome and some times not. But it's our process even as imperfect as it is, it's what our forefathers fought and died for. We have the freedom to choose.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at it positively - Americans can choose another person for president in 4 years' time.

Once Britain has left the EU, it may not be able to get back in for another generation - I may be dead by the time they decide to have another EU referendum!

Hey ho, the world is definitely kind of crazy right now.

DK :knockout:

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1478725788|4095990 said:
I had a very difficult time explaining to my children this morning how this could happen when I don't understand it myself.
Same here. 2 of my kids cried themselves to sleep last night because they are terrified their friends are going to be deported. How do you handle that? After all, they've heard about these deportations from Trump's own mouth.

newjourney

Rough_Rock
redwood66|1478724772|4095987 said:
I would direct you to the county map of the US for number 5 on Michael Moore's list. It is profoundly red even in many of those blue states. Popular vote goes to urban populations by virtue of their populations and I don't want New York and Los Angeles deciding for me. That is the reason for the electoral college so that the entire country has a say in our elections. I am originally from northern California and they have long wanted to become the state of Jefferson. Likewise the eastern side of Oregon and Washington.

I wonder how the president-elect now feels about his 2012 tweet considering he didn't win by popular votes...
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/266038556504494082

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have lots of teachable moments as parents don't we beekeeperBetty? :((

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1478727360|4095994 said:
You can calmly explain to your children that this is what living in a democracy is. Americans in all walks of life vote for the issues that are important to them. This is a teachable moment on why it's so important to vote. Sometimes we're happy with the outcome and some times not. But it's our process even as imperfect as it is, it's what our forefathers fought and died for. We have the freedom to choose.

You are right. And there is more. As Secretary Clinton pointed out in her concession speech, we have a new President to whom we owe an open mind, but we also have a Constitution. We should know what it says; understand what the responsibilities of the three branches of government are; and hold each of the branches to its responsibilities. We should be vigilant about our government and make sure that it is working and is not tampered with. We should make sure that our citizens are educated about how the government works and that special interests do not control it. We are all responsible for bettering our country. We are responsible for ensuring the equality of all people regardless of race, sex, or religion, and for making it possible for everyone to earn a living wage.

Deb/AGBF

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not in disagreement with you Deb.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
AnnaH|1478715228|4095863 said:
monarch64|1478714891|4095859 said:
Elliot86|1478714614|4095858 said:
It's a dark and shameful day for this country, and I am disgusted by the people who made it happen.
I agree. And I will gracefully bite my tongue here because I won't allow a few rotten, disgusting apples to ruin this forum for me. I can only hope they crawl back under the creepy, cold, hard rocks from which they came.

Wow! What do you say when you don't bite your tongue?

For real. Wow. Hypocrisy much? :-o You say you don't like Trump because of things he says about people, but then you go and do the exact same thing that you're supposedly so disgusted about. I don't think that's how this tolerance thing works. :(sad

To answer the OP, I'm pleasantly surprised and hopeful for some real change in our country that benefits all of us, not just us "deplorables", because we are truly all in this together, no matter who you voted for.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478728982|4096008 said:

You are right. And there is more. As Secretary Clinton pointed out in her concession speech, we have a new President to whom we owe an open mind, but we also have a Constitution. We should know what it says; understand what the responsibilities of the three branches of government are; and hold each of the branches to its responsibilities. We should be vigilant about our government and make sure that it is working and is not tampered with. We should make sure that our citizens are educated about how the government works and that special interests do not control it. We are all responsible for bettering our country. We are responsible for ensuring the equality of all people regardless of race, sex, or religion, and for making it possible for everyone to earn a living wage.

Deb/AGBF

I think this race pivoted on jobs. Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio all went red. You talk about about making it possible to earn a living wage. What about the farmers in the "bread basket" that have lost their family farms. And the manufacturing jobs in the rust belt whose jobs have gone overseas. There are a lot of Americans that live somewhere between the East and West coasts who are feeling very frustrated with the economic situation that hasn't improved for them. Trump obviously resonated with them.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1478723661|4095977 said:

I don't know why people voted for Trump. I can't speak for them. I would assume that people vote for candidates for different reasons.
In terms of campaign promises, sure, they appeal to some of us on some levels. However, I didn't think that most people took every campaign promise literally. For example, I understood the "wall" talk to mean some form of immigration controls, not kicking everyone out and locking our borders. I didn't really think Sanders (and later Clinton) would actually provide free college either, but I assumed that they meant that they would work towards making education more affordable. I understand that each presidency has a unique set of circumstances and some presidents get more done than others.

Then why did he say those things? I took Obama at his word and I took Trump as his. I know why people voted for Trump, one he's going to build a wall.. The only way Sanders or Clinton could provide free college was to raise taxes and to have a full democratic house, that wouldn't have happened. To me you are making excuses, he said and he should do it.. he no reason not to because he has a full republican majority.. If you are saying that we shouldn't believe campaign promises then what are we to believe.. I don't get it, I have always listened.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
BeekeeperBetty|1478727655|4095998 said:
asscherisme|1478725788|4095990 said:
Same here. 2 of my kids cried themselves to sleep last night because they are terrified their friends are going to be deported. How do you handle that? After all, they've heard about these deportations from Trump's own mouth.

How old are your children?

When mine were young, TV and mature conversation was carefully controlled so as not to put these adult issue on their young shoulders.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1478707634|4095822 said:
I know a lot of women were overwhelmingly excited about the prospect of seeing the first female President, and I hope to one day see the same; however, true equality and fairness is genuinely important to me, so I hope whoever that woman is, is TRULY the best person for the job. Anything less, in my opinion, is not really a 'victory' for women, but a 'gimme' to simply quiet the masses and check off another 'first' box. I want whoever that woman is - Democrat or Republican - to be such an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record (that is not filled with scandal, questionable judgment, blatant dishonesty, and a lack of accountability) that my sisters on BOTH sides of the political spectrum can overwhelmingly come together to support her. For me, that woman just was not HRC.

Agree with this 100% :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
737lizakg|1478718355|4095906 said:
JoCoJenn, are you saying that you want to hold women to a higher standard than men when they run for office? Because I too want the first woman president to be 'an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record'. But I would also expect this on any male candidate. Trump is many things, but he is not an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record in anything that is relevant to leading a nation. He is neither free of scandal or of sound judgment. He may do well, he may not. I was just really curious as to why the very criteria that made you opposed to Clinton, are not met in your candidate that (I assume) you voted for?

No, I didn't mean she should be held to a higher or different standard; what I meant was that her record ALONE should have been stacked against the competition; not the fact that she was a woman, which she and many of her supporters did - THEY made it about her being a woman; not the other candidates. But I did find it quite insulting when THEY then acted insulted when the subject of her being a woman was brought up. You don't' get it both ways - if you want to be treated equally vs judged for being a different gender, then don't dangle your gender out there as a reason you're 'qualified', then get pissy when someone makes reference to it.

My hope is that one day there is a person whose qualifications are on par or better with the rest of the candidates without a history of scandal hanging over their head, and if they just so happen to be woman that the electorate finds the most qualified/best for the job, fan-freaking-tastic! But I do NOT think pushing someone because it's "her turn" or "it's time for a woman" is a good enough reason to elect someone POTUS.

If HRC was more trustworthy and didn't have so much scandalous baggage hanging over her head (politics and policy preferences aside), she very well could have been a great first woman president. But she made her choices leading up to this election, and America ultimately held her accountable for them when no one else would.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478731433|4096032 said:
JoCoJenn, are you saying that you want to hold women to a higher standard than men when they run for office? Because I too want the first woman president to be 'an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record'. But I would also expect this on any male candidate. Trump is many things, but he is not an accomplished candidate with a demonstrated record in anything that is relevant to leading a nation. He is neither free of scandal or of sound judgment. He may do well, he may not. I was just really curious as to why the very criteria that made you opposed to Clinton, are not met in your candidate that (I assume) you voted for?

No, I didn't mean she should be held to a higher or different standard; what I meant was that her record ALONE should have been stacked against the competition; not the fact that she was a woman, which she and many of her supporters did - THEY made it about her being a woman; not the other candidates. But I did find it quite insulting when THEY then acted insulted when the subject of her being a woman was brought up. You don't' get it both ways - if you want to be treated equally vs judged for being a different gender, then don't dangle your gender out there as a reason you're 'qualified', then get pissy when someone makes reference to it.

My hope is that one day there is a person whose qualifications are on par or better with the rest of the candidates without a history of scandal hanging over their head, and if they just so happen to be woman that the electorate finds the most qualified/best for the job, fan-freaking-tastic! But I do NOT think pushing someone because it's "her turn" or "it's time for a woman" is a good enough reason to elect someone POTUS.

If HRC was more trustworthy and didn't have so much scandalous baggage hanging over her head (politics and policy preferences aside), she very well could have been a great first woman president. But she made her choices leading up to this election, and America ultimately held her accountable for them when no one else would.

Exactly JoCoJen :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Bonfire|1478731735|4096035 said:
JoCoJenn|1478731433|4096032 said:

Exactly JoCoJen :appl:

+1 :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1478730441|4096019 said:
AGBF|1478728982|4096008 said:

Deb/AGBF

I think this race pivoted on jobs. Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio all went red. You talk about about making it possible to earn a living wage. What about the farmers in the "bread basket" that have lost their family farms. And the manufacturing jobs in the rust belt whose jobs have gone overseas. There are a lot of Americans that live somewhere between the East and West coasts who are feeling very frustrated with the economic situation that hasn't improved for them. Trump obviously resonated with them.

This is obviously true, but I was not talking about whether there was an economic recession now and whether that recession was the fault of Barack Obama or George W. Bush (although I believe it was the fault of the latter*).

I was talking only about the ability of being able to make a living wage.

There is a difference in a country having laws where labor is protected from unfair and unsafe practices and where people are guaranteed a living wage when they are employed and a socialist country. I might prefer a socialist country, but that is not what I said, above, that we now have the responsibility of ensuring for for our fellow Americans!

Right now, since we are not a socialist country, we provide only limited protection to the unemployed. If there is a recession people are adversely affected by it. When they lose their jobs, they lose their income and then they start to lose their homes and even their food and medical care.

When I wrote, above, about how we must guarantee the right of people to make a living wage, i was referring to to the rights of people to protection from abuse by employers.

*The reason I put the blame for the recession on George W. Bush is that the 2008 recession second only to The Great Depression, knockes down housing prices, forced people from their homes, and caused large banks to crash. As I have posted here before my husband was recruited to work on TARP, The Troubled Asset Relief Program, for the Treasury Department-under the Bush Administration-a welfare program for big banks. Because the banks were too big to be allowed to fail.

AGBF

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1478723421|4095975 said:
If we went to single payer there would not be this problem, and everyone would be covered. THAT's where we should head to, not going back to every man for themselves.

As someone who has had the (dis)pleasure of having to navigate the VA healthcare system, waiting for weeks & sometimes months to get critical appts, and sit around literally for 6+ hours waiting for my whopping 10 minutes with a dr, I respectfully disagree with a single-payer healthcare system. No thanks! :hand:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband was working at the office of a major Chinese state newspaper yesterday and he reported that his mainland Chinese colleagues were openly ecstatic that Trump won. Somewhere in Beijing Zhongnanhai (the Chinese government equivalent of the white house), Xi Jinping must be throwing a celebration party.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1478732469|4096046 said:

Sorry, I guess I missed the memo stating that us "white, evangelical Christians" weren't allowed a voice or vote. That we were just to supposed to sit back, shut up, stay home, and pay our taxes while not having a say in how they are spent or by whom. My bad. :roll:

And some democrats wonder WHY people voted the way they did and why our country is so divided. :wall:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it appears that Trump got 70% of the white vote but Romney got 72%. I would say that blows the racism claim made here on PS.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the fact that people wouldn't admit they were voting for Trump speaks volumes. I would think if he were an upstanding person so many would not be ashamed to say they were voting for him.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously? The utter nasty shit that has been spewed here just on PS toward conservatives and you wonder why people would not say anything? The other thread that shows 23 voters for Trump, I know maybe 2 or 3 that actually posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results