carat
color
clarity

Orange engagement ring

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
valeria101|1477494430|4090707 said:
Take a look, if you still have any patience left,

https://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/padparadscha-orange/orange-sapphire-2.56-carats.html

Small - that is, not individually discernible, inclusions are OK with me, else I wouldn't mention; at best they'd scatter light a little adding 'body' (like light mist does to air - but colored!). Can't know whether you'd like the thing... Sure seems ORANGE ! Few sapphires reach the zenith of this color - perhaps this one.

Another, on the light & bright side:

"pinkish-orange" http://www.starruby.in/store/padparadscha/1-61-carat-sparkling-unheated-fiery-orange-padparadscha-sapphire

"orangy-pink" http://www.starruby.in/store/padparadscha/1-10-carat-eye-clean-intense-orangy-pink-padparadscha-sapphire

I do not understand the orange end of "Padparadscha" - for what it matter$*... These things are too nice to go by 'Anon'.

----
* Ref. "Just what is in a name?"
http://www.lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/295-pink-sapphire-padparadscha-walking-the-line-in-ruby-sapphire-lotus-gemology

Those are some beautiful sapphires. It's just not quite what I'm looking for at the moment. Thank you for sharing them though!

I started looking on Ebay and found this fancy orange diamond from Benma Diamonds. Now I don't really know the first thing about diamonds when it comes to pricing or any of that. Is this a fair price? Heavily overpriced? I doubt it's underpriced.

Here's a video of that Ebay diamond.

Should I ask RockyTalky about this since they might know more regarding diamonds?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I don't know, it looks like it may be more brown than orange IRL, and the photo of it in the box (far away) is obviously photoshopped, but you can always ask Rocky Talky. Did you decide against the NSC sapphire? I would err on the side of lighter orange, esp. if you're going to bezel it.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
E B|1477590743|4091226 said:
I don't know, it looks like it may be more brown than orange IRL, and the photo of it in the box (far away) is obviously photoshopped, but you can always ask Rocky Talky. Did you decide against the NSC sapphire? I would err on the side of lighter orange, esp. if you're going to bezel it.

If the moi et toi isn't coming together like you imagined, you can always use the diamond for the engagement and do an orange colored stone for a wedding present, maybe in a pendant?

Alright, I'll ask RockyTalky about the diamond.

I'm waiting on the sapphire to come in and for a design preview of the toi et moi setting. My concern with getting anything besides a diamond as the second stone for it was durability. There's not really anything that can beat a diamond. However, the bezel setting and natural hardness of sapphire should be enough. I was mostly looking for possible alternatives.

I do like your wedding present suggestion though. I will keep it in mind. Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" It's just not quite what I'm looking for at the moment." - Tha'd be one fun chase ! If you did not have to end up buying something.

Truth be told, I have indulged for way too long in looking around: ended up doing a PhD (using natural pearls). Turns out, my taste has not changed at all.

I would understand your choosing a small orange diamond instead of an orange sapphire. I'd say you could end up with a diamond somewhat the color of pure gold - not of tangerine peel (as the pear sapphire mentioned might be). The formal GIA color name for such a brightly golden diamond may vary - mentioning orange, yellow, brown... calling it 'deep' 'intense' or just 'fancy'. The grades cover a range of color, so you are still facing the problem of seeing what is out there instead of learning what color "Fancy Deep Brownish Yellowish Orange" is. 'Tangerine' orange is possible in diamonds - a sort of legend 'without price' [WWW].

I have not seen many small diamonds of exquisite orange color offered - and small (~3mm) ones would still be not cheap - perhaps because of people like me who would appreciate a sample of some idiosyncratic miracle, even if it doesn't look like much !

If I were to look for a nice, convincingly orange color diamond, I would ask David too. For 'fancy vivid orange' color - I'd sapphire.

Digressing: I recall your writing that she doesn't wear jewelry [neither do I]. Is she expecting to wear her e-ring 24 / 7 ? If it is to be a symbolic, dress piece, the color of the stone could come before durability - up to a point: sapphire is obvious, garnet close, other orange beauties - I wouldn't peg to my fingers.

---
Disclaimer: I am biased, of course... my personal choice of orange is golden

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Here's the latest. I've pretty much settled on a toi et moi style ring. One stone is my diamond, the other will be either an orange diamond or orange sapphire. Here are some photos of the gems I have right now:

20161031_164343.jpg

20161031_164448.jpg

20161031_164721.jpg

On the left is my rosecut diamond. Middle is a fancy orange/brown brilliant diamond from eBay. Right is an orange sapphire from the Natural Sapphire Company. All are about 4.2mm round.

Definitely won't be keeping the middle one, as the color isn't as vivid as I thought it would be.

Here's another orange diamond I was looking at for about $1200, and it's the perfect size.

The nice thing about the sapphire is that it's quite inexpensive. The nice part about this orange diamond is, well, it's a diamond and significantly hardier. It may also have a better color to it. I can't tell for certain. What are your thoughts? Orange sapphire or orange diamond? In the end I may be voting with my wallet, but I greatly enjoy your opinions. I've had great input from you all so far.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah your diamond doesn't look anything like a rose cut!
It looks lovely and very white.

I'm not a huge fan of the options presented to me. I still say get the James Allen one. You can get it for 1200 with discount

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Niel|1477970893|4092538 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the options presented to me. I still say get the James Allen one. You can get it for 1200 with discount

You know, the jeweler I spoke to said it was an Old European Rose Cut. I took it to mean that it was a rose cut and "old European" was just a general description of it. I suppose it's all part of the name then?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fishfrenzy|1477972309|4092541 said:

You know, the jeweler I spoke to said it was an Old European Rose Cut. I took it to mean that it was a rose cut and "old European" was just a general description of it. I suppose it's all part of the name then?

He was wrong in saying rose cut. It's just an old European cut. That's all. It really is quite lovely. You're lucky to have something to pass down, particularly with a girlfriend who seems to appreciate the sentimentality.

You're avoiding my statements about the ja stone. You dont like it do you.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Niel|1477972570|4092542 said:

He was wrong in saying rose cut. It's just an old European cut. That's all. It really is quite lovely. You're lucky to have something to pass down, particularly with a girlfriend who seems to appreciate the sentimentality.

Ah, sorry. I forgot while typing about the cut.

I'm not a fan of the light semi-shade of orange. It looks almost pink(?) in color. For that I would stay with my little ebay diamond.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say this but since it hasn't been said... if this toi et moi is for an engagement ring, is she going to be fine with the fact that a wedding band won't sit anything near flush with it? (If the diamonds are going vertical?)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fishfrenzy|1477972732|4092544 said:

I'm not a fan of the light semi-shade of orange. It looks almost pink(?) in color. For that I would stay with my little ebay diamond.
Well it's definitely not pink. If it had pink in it it would be $$$
But if you don't like it you don't like it. I wouldn't choose that ebay diamond though because that is brown to my eye, not orange.
To district's point a true vertical moi et toi won't sit flush, but one that is like the one you've posted in a previous post, at an angle or horizontal could easily get it to sit fairly flush because of the size of the stones.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
distracts|1477977009|4092565 said:
I hate to say this but since it hasn't been said... if this toi et moi is for an engagement ring, is she going to be fine with the fact that a wedding band won't sit anything near flush with it? (If the diamonds are going vertical?)

The diamonds will actually be sitting horizontally, so it shouldn't be a problem. And as Neil pointed out, the gems are quite small.

Niel said:
fishfrenzy|1477972732|4092544 said:

Well it's definitely not pink. If it had pink in it it would be $$$
But if you don't like it you don't like it. I wouldn't choose that ebay diamond though because that is brown to my eye, not orange.
To district's point a true vertical moi et toi won't sit flush, but one that is like the one you've posted in a previous post, at an angle or horizontal could easily get it to sit fairly flush because of the size of the stones.

Yup, they'll be sitting horizontal or close to it. The original toi et moi setting is also horizontal, not vertical, as far as I know.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Definitely ditch the eBay diamond.

The sapphire is the perfect size, but it looks darker than the photo from NSC- is it just the lighting, or is it about that dark in real life? Because if you're going to bezel it, that may be a concern. But, FWIW, sapphire in a bezel should be fine in an engagement ring because sapphires are hard AND the bezel will help protect it further. I don't know that I'd spend an extra $1k+ on an orange diamond if you're only worried about durability.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1478009620|4092638 said:
Definitely ditch the eBay diamond.

The sapphire is the perfect size, but it looks darker than the photo from NSC- is it just the lighting, or is it about that dark in real life? Because if you're going to bezel it, that may be a concern. But, FWIW, sapphire in a bezel should be fine in an engagement ring because sapphires are hard AND the bezel will help protect it further. I don't know that I'd spend an extra $1k+ on an orange diamond if you're only worried about durability.

the bezel will also make it a bit darker though, so if its already on the dark end watch out for that

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is an OEC and by the looks of it, you can do a prong setting for both the diamond and sapphire.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Who are you getting the setting from?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1478009798|4092642 said:
Your diamond is an OEC and by the looks of it, you can do a prong setting for both the diamond and sapphire.

Oh, that's right! So, another possible small plus for the sapphire, if you like the color in real life. Be sure to take it into lots of different kinds of light to make sure it stays an obvious (and eye-pleasing) orange.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for clarifying the cut! I am glad I came here for help.

I think I'll stick with the bezel just because it has the added benefit of being less likely to catch on things. I know that can be an issue with some of the more pronounced settings.

I am currently talking to Amy with David Klass Jewelry about the setting. I think she has an excellent design ready.

E B

Ideal_Rock
fishfrenzy|1478010259|4092646 said:

I think I'll stick with the bezel just because it has the added benefit of being less likely to catch on things. I know that can be an issue with some of the more pronounced settings.

I am currently talking to Amy with David Klass Jewelry about the setting. I think she has an excellent design ready.

DK is great! I'm also currently having something made by him. Did you ask if they were able to find a good light orange sapphire in the size you need?

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
E B|1478010421|4092648 said:
fishfrenzy|1478010259|4092646 said:

DK is great! I'm also currently having something made by him. Did you ask if they were able to find a good light orange sapphire in the size you need?

To be honest, I forgot that was an option. I did have fun shopping around for what I got though. I'm not sure I'd want anything lighter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I don't like both the eBay and NSC sapphire. Too much brown.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1478010850|4092650 said:
To be honest, I don't like both the eBay and NSC sapphire. Too much brown.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from with the NSC one. It is a nice orange, but it does have a bit of brown in it. Any recommendations? I'm fairly limited as far as size goes.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just thinking outloud.. Since you have a pretty specific size goal, I wonder if there is stone out there thats maybe not the greatest cut, but has good color, which would be a candidate for a recut to hit your target. You'd probably loose a lot, and i'm not sure how amenable some folks would be to cutting stones that small, but.. Maybe?

Something like this comes to mind:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...en_Sapphire_Heart_1_22_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
chroman|1478013008|4092660 said:
Just thinking outloud.. Since you have a pretty specific size goal, I wonder if there is stone out there thats maybe not the greatest cut, but has good color, which would be a candidate for a recut to hit your target. You'd probably loose a lot, and i'm not sure how amenable some folks would be to cutting stones that small, but.. Maybe?

Something like this comes to mind:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...en_Sapphire_Heart_1_22_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

I hadn't considered something like that. I learn something new each time I stop by here.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay good to know the setting is horizontal.

Also I think the diamond you inherited is absolutely beautiful.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has this one been linked? It's an I1 but I really like the color.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-26ct-fancy-vivid-orangy-yellow-i1-round-brilliant-diamond-gia-r6609
(eta: I saw on another page that you have seen this one but think it might be too yellow - I don't know if you could order it and see it in person but I think it will look more orange than either of the two stones in your pictures.)

Or if you're open to other shapes, Leibish has this pear that looks like a great color and I think you could put it next to the round diamond with the point away from it and it would look neat. I see a lot of rings like that in shops and on etsy.
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-vivid-brownish-yellow-pear-20383

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1478039481|4092770 said:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-26ct-fancy-vivid-orangy-yellow-i1-round-brilliant-diamond-gia-r6609
(eta: I saw on another page that you have seen this one but think it might be too yellow - I don't know if you could order it and see it in person but I think it will look more orange than either of the two stones in your pictures.)

Or if you're open to other shapes, Leibish has this pear that looks like a great color and I think you could put it next to the round diamond with the point away from it and it would look neat. I see a lot of rings like that in shops and on etsy.

I like that first one you posted. I can forgive a clarity like that in a small colored stone. They were clearly cut for color.

Can we see the design they've come up with for you. Op?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fishfrenzy said:
I've just reached out to Jeff and have begun to peruse the settings. Thank you all for your help so far. I'll try not to make any impulse buys. I also have to think whether I want to guess the ring size.

With a plain band, sizing is easy. Keep that in mind :)

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
pearaffair|1478048744|4092823 said:
fishfrenzy said:
I've just reached out to Jeff and have begun to peruse the settings. Thank you all for your help so far. I'll try not to make any impulse buys. I also have to think whether I want to guess the ring size.

With a plain band, sizing is easy. Keep that in mind :)

I asked her flat-out for the ring size. I imagine she sort of knows a proposal is coming in the nearish future.

Niel said:
distracts|1478039481|4092770 said:

I like that first one you posted. I can forgive a clarity like that in a small colored stone. They were clearly cut for color.

Can we see the design they've come up with for you. Op?

As you wish!

35756__1_.jpg

To those curious, links to all orange, round, approximately 4.2mm diamonds I've looked at so far:

CaratsDirect2U and album

Leibish (too large for me)

Diamond by Lauren

Langerman - 1, 2, and 3

James Allen

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results