shape
carat
color
clarity

We vary

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you noticed that DF and I (residents of opposites sides of the aisle BTW) often spar, but neither gets all bent out of shape? :praise:

Others here seem hyper sensitive and just jonesing for a fight.
Talking to them is like walking on eggshells.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just be ourselves and talk to everyone in the same way?
But we can't. :((

When talking to person A I can say X, Y or Z ... actually anything from A through Z.
But in the same context and thread I could NEVER say X, Y or Z to person B.
I have to be careful to only say L and Q, and I have to also include a D and J to prevent WWIII.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't bother me, if I get mad I don't read it. Maybe it's the difference between men and women?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1477161518|4089563 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just be ourselves and talk to everyone in the same way?

I am not at all angry about this topic. I think, in fact, that it is a good topic. Let me make that clear before I say anything that might be construed as at all critical.

Having said that, I want to point out there is a logical gap between the title of the thread "We vary" and the statement above which says "wouldn't it be nice if we could talk to everyone in the same way (that Dancing Fire and I (kenny) do)?".

If "we vary" is fine, then it should be fine that we do not talk to everyone in the same way that Dancing Fire and kenny do. It should be fine that some people are sensitive, although two men on this forum are not. The fact that DF and kenny are on opposite sides of the political spectrum does not make them polar opposites. I think of them as kindred spirits. They are often spoken of in one breath by posters because they are perceived as two merry pranksters of the same ilk. That they process information from Pricescope postings lightly while others do not is fine, but i am not sure that it should be an example for everyone else.

Again: I am not angry and this posting was not written as a criticism, just as participation.

AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO it's not so much about how good/bad, polite/impolite well-mannered/rude the other person is.

A lot of it is chemistry.
Some people make us feel comfortable, while others push our buttons or rub us the wrong way.
It's definitely takes two to tango, and two to get along.

... and thank goodness for Priescope's ignore function.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My take on this is that we can agree to disagree. I like being able to voice my opinions. If you don't like what I say , then that's ok. I value the responder as a person. I am not here to fight anyone. Love a lively debate, it's fun.

If someone goes on that attack in a hurtful way, that's where I can choose to leave the thread.

We are all intelligent, kind and helpful. I think this community is one of the nicest I have been involved in and have been here since 2004. I like the views of many. I take away what is helpful to me... ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No matter how we vary, agree, or disagree, we should all agree that civility should not take a backseat to our desire to get a point across. There's too much name-calling and disrespect showing up here and I wish those posters would get a timeout.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1477163459|4089575 said:
My take on this is that we can agree to disagree. I like being able to voice my opinions. If you don't like what I say , then that's ok. I value the responder as a person. I am not here to fight anyone. Love a lively debate, it's fun.

Well put.

I think very often there is the following confusion ... stating one's opinion does not mean one expects anyone else to adopt it.
Enter, that people vary thing.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1477163373|4089574 said:
... and thank goodness for Priescope's ignore function.

Yes. I need to be better at ignoring people who get my goat. Maybe I need lessons from AprilBaby.

People do vary. And I truly appreciate kenny and DF even though they are opposite. kenny and I do not agree on hardly anything political but we work it out in the end just like Deb. Many posters here are in opposition to some of my views but they are still caring people who would help if I, or anyone else, needed it. I hope that they feel the same about me.

:wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1477163925|4089578 said:
stating one's opinion does not mean one expects anyone else to adopt it.

This is not always the case here IMO. Because then the name calling starts and it can't be an agree to disagree situation. That point is where I need to adopt AprilBaby's ability to just walk away.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1477164535|4089582 said:
kenny|1477163925|4089578 said:
stating one's opinion does not mean one expects anyone else to adopt it.

This is not always the case here IMO. Because then the name calling starts and it can't be an agree to disagree situation. That point is where I need to adopt AprilBaby's ability to just walk away.

Agree, it's like switching the channel. Things do get heated at times. But after being here so long what is going on is tame than when I joined. It's not saying it's right. I guess I learned to ignore what I have no control over.

Ps'ers are good people. We respect one another. But it's not all roses... That would be boring.

Respect is key.. When there is lack of respect I take a break.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People do vary and once someone's mind is made up I think it would be extremely difficult to change it. Our life experiences shape how we view things and we all have different life experiences. I enjoy hearing others opinions even if it doesn't always seem that way. I have been trying to stay out of political threads that upset me although I have failed miserably at times.

Red, Even though we disagree on political issues often, I have never doubted you being a caring person. I hope you know I would help you if you ever needed help.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1477165296|4089590 said:
People do vary and once someone's mind is made up I think it would be extremely difficult to change it. Our life experiences shape how we view things and we all have different life experiences. I enjoy hearing others opinions even if it doesn't always seem that way. I have been trying to stay out of political threads that upset me although I have failed miserably at times.

Red, Even though we disagree on political issues often, I have never doubted you being a caring person. I hope you know I would help you if you ever needed help.

Absolutely! :D

I learn much from people here and do much more research than previously. Retirement has afforded me the time now. :lol:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF is one that likes to throw a stink bomb and watch everyone react... He's a older guy acting like a 5 year old trying to get our goat. Harmless. Have been friends with him for ages.. He's my go to guy for watch advice..
Kenny is more aggressive with his views. He believes what he believes.
I think my take away is that we are blessed to have both on this forum...

I could smack one... And give a hug to another..

That changes on a daily basis...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1477166476|4089601 said:
DF is one that likes to throw a stink bomb and watch everyone react... He's a older guy acting like a 5 year old trying to get our goat. Harmless. Have been friends with him for ages.. He's my go to guy for watch advice..

I'll take the smack! :naughty:

screen_shot_2016-10-22_at_1.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you noticed that DF and I (residents of opposites sides of the aisle BTW) often spar, but neither gets all bent out of shape? :praise:
Us Octavia owners must stick together.. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny is more aggressive with his views.

Better aggressive than passive-aggressive.

IMO you, and others here on PS, think I'm bad because I don't end each post with, ... "Still, I do hope you know how much I respect and admire you. You're always so nice and gentle with everything you say. Here's a dozen roses, basket of kittens, and your favorite pie that I just baked especially for you."

I'm more like, "Just the facts, Ma'am."
I just get to the point and see no reason to fluff out.
Basic respect goes without saying.
What, are we so fragile and insecure that we have to be told in evey post how much we are cherished? :roll:

I'm being sarcastic of course, but there is a legitimate point.
Internet Niceness Nazis are just practicing another form of intolerance of another way in which people vary.
... "The iron fits of legislated niceness shall beat you into conformity! You MUST comply to the way my mommy ordered us to be!"
:angryfire:

Nothing wrong with conforming to that common standard.
It must be right if Abbey and Emily Post support you.
I'm not trying to change how anyone here posts.
I'm just responding to your boundry-crossing statement, quoted above.
I do try to tolerate diversity.
Please return the favor and don't force your standards of forum posting onto me ... even if they are the standards of the majority.

Some people here get it, rather get me.
Many don't.
Oh well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1477168570|4089616 said:
Us Octavia owners must stick together.. :wink2:

Indeed!

We are the light performance of the world! :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am a ..:saint:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1477169700|4089622 said:
I am a ..:saint:

... a guy with a hole in his head? :bigsmile:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1477169146|4089618 said:
Kenny is more aggressive with his views.

Better aggressive than passive-aggressive.

IMO you, and others here on PS, think that because I don't end each post with, ... "Still, I do hope you know how much I respect and admire you. You're always so nice and gentle with everything you say. Here's a dozen roses, basket of kittens, and your favorite pie that I just baked especially for you."

I'm more like, "Just the facts, Ma'am."
I just get to the point and see no reason to fluff out.
Basic respect goes without saying.
What, are we so fragile and insecure that we have to be told in evey post how much we are cherished? :roll:

I'm being sarcastic of course, but there is a legitimate point.
Internet Niceness Nazis are just practicing another form of intolerance of another way in which people vary.
... "The iron fits of legislated niceness shall beat you into conformity! You MUST comply to the way my mommy ordered us to be!"
:angryfire:

Nothing wrong with conforming to that common standard.
I'm not trying to change anyone; I'm just replying to your boundry-crossing statement that I quoted above.
I do try to tolerate diversity.
Please return the favor and don't don't force your standards of forum posting onto others.

Some people here get it, get me.
Many don't.
Oh well.

Some people are nice and some aren't. Some get you and some don't. People vary. Read it or don't. Now I need to follow my own advice. Internet makes it hard to read tone and sometimes you have to provide a bit of context. I don't care if some here don't like me and I will be using the ignore function much more here because my life does not need irritation. You are not nasty deep down and you are caring no matter what comes out of your keyboard. ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most communication is nonverbal. It can be very difficult to interpret people's motives without facial expression, body language, and tone. I have been around PS for awhile. Some years I am more active than others. I think there are so many different personalities and it would be unrealistic to think everyone will get along. I also have read some very disrespectful comments over the years. Flat out rude posts. Personally, I do not accept unacceptable behavior. It is not about being passive. It is about having boundaries. I choose not to engage in many threads.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Text is also very hard to interpret. Something can be said in jest, but if it doesn't have a bunch of !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D after it some people wont take it so lightly.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1477163888|4089577 said:
No matter how we vary, agree, or disagree, we should all agree that civility should not take a backseat to our desire to get a point across. There's too much name-calling and disrespect showing up here and I wish those posters would get a timeout.

Completely hit the nail on the head here.

You can disagree with someone's ideology without being a condescending ass, and it seems that often forgotten lately. The high horse has been making super regular rounds lately, and he's awfully polarizing. Content or ideological differences don't have to be polarizing, but a disrespectful tone absolutely is.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
IMO it's not so much about how good/bad, polite/impolite well-mannered/rude the other person is.

Respectfully, I wholeheartedly disagree.

There's a difference between direct and rude, and IMHO, the inflammation results from disrespect and rudeness.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF and Kenny can say sexist things and get away with it, and I think that is O.K. Most Aussies are like that, they don't actually take themselves that seriously. I've read that a lot of Australian comics and Australian people in general that go and live in the US have to tone it down because you simply don't get our wit, humour and sarcasm. I've said stuff and most people didn't even get it was sarcasm or meant to be ironically funny, so I guess something can be lost in translation.

I think this place would be as dull as dishwater without the occasional DF and Kenny F-bomb :angel:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life would be very boring if we are all the same.

Diversity makes life interesting.

I just wish there could be more acceptance and tolerance of our differences.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there is a difference b/w posting on the internet vs being IRL. I find IRL people are more respectful while on the internet people feel more comfortable with maybe saying how they really feel without the same civility shown IRL?

Anyway I agree that we can be civil without being untrue to our POV and without being sickly sweet either. There is a happy medium. We can disagree, explain our thoughts, respect diversity and still be polite to all without sacrificing our values.

calvinandhobbesnastynamecallingesponse.jpg

worldcanbeameanplacecalvinandhobbes.jpg

calvin-and-hobbes-relativism.gif

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When talking to person A I can say X, Y or Z ... actually anything from A through Z.
I have to be careful to only say L and Q, and I have to also include a D and J to prevent WWIII.

Kenny,

When talking to me, you can say A through Z.

But I hope you never feel the need to say F. Or U.

XOXO

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Written words lack the facial expressions, tone, etc., that accompany in-person discussions, so misinterpretations and misunderstandings can occur.

I have no problems with a person writing in a clear, concise, direct and assertive manner.
Being assertive is not the same as being aggressive.

This thread has made me realize that I naurally vary my communication based on the audience and situation.
Isn't that typical behavior?
I also vary my style of dress and demeanor based on the audience and situation.
Again, I think this is typical behavior.

I don't think that this means I'm being untrue to myself or fake.

We're like diamonds.

We're multi-faceted! :dance:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
december-fire|1477239194|4089782 said:

Kenny,

When talking to me, you can say A through Z.

But I hope you never feel the need to say F. Or U.

XOXO

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results