shape
carat
color
clarity

To fluorescence or to not fluorescence that is the question

D8612

Rough_Rock
I am looking for the most bang for my buck. I want a brilliant round cut preffer xxx about a 1ct the bigger the better. I went from wanting at least a G color to now considering a J. I have researched and found that fluorescence can help brighten up a stone and lessen the cost. Kind of a double postive.

1) what is your take on Fluorescences?
2) if I should go for it should I stay with a faint or med? (Kind or Scared of strong n VS)
3) pls post pics of ur J color diamonds with n without fluorescence.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: To fluorescence or to not fluorescence that is the quest

Hello D8612,

Typically diamonds with fluorescence aren't defined as 'good' or 'bad'. Yes, fluorescence has been known to 'enhance' the apparent color grade of diamonds, but they can also create a milky or hazy look to others.

Perhaps the best way to look at fluorescence is just as you do color and clarity; it is a factor to be considered and you should (where possible) have a quality gemologist see the diamond in question before buying. 

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I personally am a huge fan of fluorescence, and tend to look for stones with the phenomenon. I also appreciate diamonds of all different colors, so a diamond with lower color (between J and Q) that has MB to VSB would be a cool find. My daily wear rings have a few stones that range from faint to VSB and I love playing with them and a pen style blacklight, lol.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

While I too like fluorescence I must say that it is currently penalized highly in the market which makes resale extremely difficult if you ever get tired of it.

Check with your vendor to see what, if any, buy back policy he/she offers.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results