shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been through the entire thread so I'm not sure if these have been mentioned.

Transfatty Lives - DH and I are already documentary fans and this one hit close to home because one of our best friends has ALS. This is just really well done overall.

Alive Inside - another documentary - it follows a social worker as he reviews the effects music has on Alzheimer patients. Very interesting.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - Missy, Dear Zachary - I was totally caught off guard by this one. I went into it blindly and just didn't see things coming. ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppmom|1468327197|4054681 said:
PS - Missy, Dear Zachary - I was totally caught off guard by this one. I went into it blindly and just didn't see things coming. ;(

I know. Heartbreaking. My dh prefers not even knowing what a movie is about before he watches it and I do all the choosing. He loves going in blindly. I like a compromise. I need to know the general idea of what the movie is about but don't want to know the ending or any other surprises. But I draw the line where animals get hurt or violent movies which is challenging given the general bloodthirsty people seem to have for their viewing "pleasure". :knockout:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two I watched last week:

Somm: into the bottle
If you like wine, this is a really interesting documentary about wine/wine making from a sommelier's perspective. It follows most of the same people as it's previous docu:
Somm
This one is about a group of people trying to get their master sommelier designation. Holy smokes is it hard!
Steak Revolution
Interesting take on beef/steak from around the world and how different cultures look at/prefer/use steak.

I watched Into the bottle and steak revolution on the same day, and it really left me wanting to go for a nice dinner :lol:

3.5 Minutes, 10 bullets
This one was hard to watch. About some black kids that get shot at by a white guy. He unloads the entire clip into their car, and one of the kids dies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1468375195|4054974 said:
I just watched series "Marcella." It was AMAZING.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcella_(TV_series)

Thanks Tacori! That has caught our eye and now because you loved it we are adding it to our list. Thanks for the rec!

Last night we started watching "Touching the Void" and it is pretty good. It is a docudrama about climbing a 21K foot mountain in the Peruvian Andes. It is thrilling. Lot of good mountain climbing movies out there. "Everest" is excellent.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy and Zoe, I will be curious to see what you think! In general I really enjoy Hulu/Netflix/Amazon original shows.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter told me to watch a documentary called "Rich Hill." Now I can't get it out of my head. It is very sad.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flew through season 1 of crazy ex girlfriend :lol: I didn't even know it was on TV! Rom com and singing!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
OMG how is Stranger Things not posted here yet?!

Sci-fi set in the 80s - mix of Goonies, ET and Poltergeist. IT IS A MUST-SEE (especially for 80s kids). SOOOOO GRIPPING!!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fulvia|1471755617|4068264 said:

Sci-fi set in the 80s - mix of Goonies, ET and Poltergeist. IT IS A MUST-SEE (especially for 80s kids). SOOOOO GRIPPING!!!
I was coming here to post about it haha. Just finished it last night.

It reminds me of 'True Detective' or 'The Killing', but if they had a supernatural element.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89 said:

It reminds me of 'True Detective' or 'The Killing', but if they had a supernatural element.

+1000
Really well done. Scary but not too scary.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1468445504|4055229 said:
Missy and Zoe, I will be curious to see what you think! In general I really enjoy Hulu/Netflix/Amazon original shows.

Just saw this! D. and I liked Marcella a lot. I liked the mystery of it, and I thought the characters were fairly well written. I do wish the writers would have gone into more development with a few of the characters though because some of them resembled others too much for me to remember who was who. I can't watch TV shows or movies that are too violent, and definitely none that are gory. I had to look away during a few scenes (and honestly, the last creepy thing that Marcella saw in bed at the end of the season was too much for me). I'd watch the second season! Like you, I/we generally like most Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon shows.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you (or anyone else) watched Transparent? What do you think? I haven't watched it yet but I want to check it out.

We watch a lot of heavy dramas (cop shows, mostly). Blue Bloods is one we really love. I'd love to find a great, light-hearted comedy. I'm not sure that the fall line up will be. I want to check out This is Us, but that's another drama.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
We watched all 8 episodes of "Stranger Things" last night, didn't finish until 3:30am. It looks like the creators are going to work on
season 2. It was interesting to see all the homages to other 80's movies.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
zoebartlett said:
Have you (or anyone else) watched Transparent? What do you think? I haven't watched it yet but I want to check it out.

We watch a lot of heavy dramas (cop shows, mostly). Blue Bloods is one we really love. I'd love to find a great, light-hearted comedy. I'm not sure that the fall line up will be. I want to check out This is Us, but that's another drama.

Brooklyn 99 is light and funny :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearaffair|1471960823|4068972 said:
telephone89 said:

+1000
Really well done. Scary but not too scary.

See discussion about Stranger Things on previous page. :wavey:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pleasantly surprised this thread is still going!
My wife and I have been looking for something to watch, so I'll be trawling back through the past few pages to see if anything catches my eye.

We watched the first episode of "The Get Down" last night. Its all over the place, and its really long (1.5 hrs), but by the end they had me really intrigued about where it was going to go. But Admittedly I am a fan of hip hop so I am the target audience.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
pearaffair|1472425503|4071001 said:
zoebartlett said:

Brooklyn 99 is light and funny :)

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about Brooklyn 99. I've seen a few episodes and liked it a lot. Thanks for the reminder, Pearaffair!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Brooklyn 99 is great. So funny. A real hidden gem.

We just watched the 2006 film Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage last night on Netflix. I liked it well enough until the ending (Nicholas Cage over acted IMO and the film was a bit over the top) but it is worth watching despite that I think. I never saw the original 1973 version which I understand was better so if I get the opportunity to watch the original I will. But if you like thrillers you might enjoy the film despite the shortcomings.

Zoe said:

We started watching Transparent on Amazon a long time ago and I liked it but my dh lost interest so we only watched two episodes I think. I would recommend checking it out. I rarely watch TV without my dh but I would start watching it again if I had the time.

Zoe said:
Tacori E-ring|1468445504|4055229 said:

Just saw this! D. and I liked Marcella a lot. I liked the mystery of it, and I thought the characters were fairly well written. I do wish the writers would have gone into more development with a few of the characters though because some of them resembled others too much for me to remember who was who. I can't watch TV shows or movies that are too violent, and definitely none that are gory. I had to look away during a few scenes (and honestly, the last creepy thing that Marcella saw in bed at the end of the season was too much for me). I'd watch the second season! Like you, I/we generally like most Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon shows.

Tacori and Zoe, thanks for the reminder about Marcella. LOL I have a short term memory. As soon as I get to watch it I will report back here. I will say that one of the shows recommended here that I never would have watched if PSers hadn't recommended it is great and I am so happy we started watching it. Friday Night Lights. LOVE it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1472811304|4072509 said:

We just watched the 2006 film Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage last night on Netflix. I liked it well enough until the ending (Nicholas Cage over acted IMO and the film was a bit over the top) but it is worth watching despite that I think. I never saw the original 1973 version which I understand was better so if I get the opportunity to watch the original I will. But if you like thrillers you might enjoy the film despite the shortcomings.

A bit?? That movie was a total stinker. I just asked my husband if he remembered that one, and got, "OMG. Horrible. But hey! It did have a happy ending at least: Nicolas Cage burned up!" I'm like "Honey, Nicolas Cage didn't actually burn up." "Oh yeah....well, it was a pleasant dream." ;))

We are currently flipping between Midsomer Murders, season 5 of Once Upon A Time, and Jonathon Strange And Mr. Norrell.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1472502224|4071246 said:
I'm pleasantly surprised this thread is still going!
My wife and I have been looking for something to watch, so I'll be trawling back through the past few pages to see if anything catches my eye.

We watched the first episode of "The Get Down" last night. Its all over the place, and its really long (1.5 hrs), but by the end they had me really intrigued about where it was going to go. But Admittedly I am a fan of hip hop so I am the target audience.

I couldn't get through it. Glad you enjoyed it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1472823633|4072538 said:
missy|1472811304|4072509 said:

A bit?? That movie was a total stinker. I just asked my husband if he remembered that one, and got, "OMG. Horrible. But hey! It did have a happy ending at least: Nicolas Cage burned up!" I'm like "Honey, Nicolas Cage didn't actually burn up." "Oh yeah....well, it was a pleasant dream." ;))

We are currently flipping between Midsomer Murders, season 5 of Once Upon A Time, and Jonathon Strange And Mr. Norrell.

Bwahaha yes it did have a "happy" ending. Put Nicholas Cage out of his misery. :lol: I have to say I enjoyed his overacting however and didn't hate the film as much as you and your dh did. I am interested in checking out the original as I understand it is quite a bit better than the Nicholas Cage remake. But it was good for a few suspenseful moments and definitely good for (more than) a few laughs.

Another recommendation:
The Verdict with Paul Newman. An oldie but a goodie and worth watching just for Paul Newman. Those eyes. :love: But the movie is pretty good too.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We really enjoyed Touch. It has feel good, Drama, good guys and bad guys and while it is only two seasons, apparently they knew it and wrapped things up instead of leaving you hanging wondering.

And whenever we wanted some thing light and mindless, Hawaii 50.

Don't get to watch too much TV any more, but if I ever want to I now have a LONG list of things to check out.

Thanks.

Wink

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Fear of 13"

An incredible documentary. Loved it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched The Railway Man last night. It's a 2013 film about a British man - the railroad buff of the title - whose new marriage is threatened by his memories of his time as a Japanese prisoner of war in World War II. There were a few brutal scenes. I don't have the stomach to watch true-to-life war films, in part because of the wartime stories I've heard from my parents, both of whom grew up in occupied countries in WWII. So - I was fortunate to watch this film with a friend who could tell me when it was safe to resume watching after such a scene, and to give me a brief synopsis when necessary. But the film is set in more "contemporary" times (actually, a few decades after the war) and was about much more than just the brutality. The film's stars are Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman. It was a real pleasure to watch Kidman in her role as the wife of the former POW.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1476420967|4086922 said:
I watched The Railway Man last night. It's a 2013 film about a British man - the railroad buff of the title - whose new marriage is threatened by his memories of his time as a Japanese prisoner of war in World War II. There were a few brutal scenes. I don't have the stomach to watch true-to-life war films, in part because of the wartime stories I've heard from my parents, both of whom grew up in occupied countries in WWII. So - I was fortunate to watch this film with a friend who could tell me when it was safe to resume watching after such a scene, and to give me a brief synopsis when necessary. But the film is set in more "contemporary" times (actually, a few decades after the war) and was about much more than just the brutality. The film's stars are Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman. It was a real pleasure to watch Kidman in her role as the wife of the former POW.

I believe its also based on the memoir written by the British POW. Remarkable friendship that develops as a result of this horrific real life history.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On another note, I totally got into Bloodline, as much for the scenery and evocative feeling of the Florida keys as for the story. I loved it. But - huge but - after a few seasons, just when you are hooked and the story has built to a pivotal point, the series was not renewed. :(( If you are okay with using your imagination to fill in the end of the story, great. Otherwise, its disappointing with loose ends dangling.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay a bump!

Recent watches:
Colonia/The Colony - Stars Emma Watson, Daniel Bruhl, Michael Nyqvist - all amazing actors! It was really interesting. About a small 'camp' in Chile in the 70s, run in cooperation with ex Nazis. I had never heard of this camp (Colonia Dignidad), but its based on a true place/story.

Luke Cage - Ugh, Just amazing. I had no idea the backstory or comic knowledge, but the acting is excellent, and the story is interesting.

Side watches:
Heroes the original series. Its interesting. Good background noise.
Charmed - by golly, the special effects on this one. Not a great show, but its good background noise again lol. Not good acting. Like, at all though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results