shape
carat
color
clarity

LifeLock or similar type protection

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Earlier this summer my identity was stolen. Name, address, social, DOB, drivers license, phone number, the whole enchilada. Luckily I was made aware within days and was able to shut it down quickly. Of course it has been a huge hassle, one I don't want to repeat. I also am really concerned about protecting my husbands identity as a compromise there would be a huge complicated mess. I was wondering if anyone uses a monitoring system like LifeLock or other similar service. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yea there is Lifelock and ProtectmyID, which is an Experian product.
For credit only there is Credit Karma, I believe it's free until you buy any of the upsell products. Experian offers a wide variety of credit protection memberships you can try out for a month for free.
Certain credit cards also offer add-on credit monitoring services at a discount. These are typically white label products offered by one of the credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and Transunion). So the level of service you get will be pretty much the same as a paid membership you get directly from the credit bureaus.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've had Lifelock for years. They alert me when there's any sort of data breach that pertains to me. I've had no issues, and, luckily, have never had my identity stolen.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1468983267|4057444 said:
I've had Lifelock for years. They alert me when there's any sort of data breach that pertains to me. I've had no issues, and, luckily, have never had my identity stolen.

We've had Lifelock for several years now BUT both times we were hacked our bank noticed first and gave us a quick phone call. Honestly it's a pain in the ass to update all the places where we use EFTs but it's better than losing money.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been several reports on LifeLock not being quite so helpful, the owners own info was hijacked and they couldn't even fix that. Do some more research on it before you sign up. They've been sued several times and fined quite a few as well for not doing what they advertised.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1469026380|4057556 said:
amc80|1468983267|4057444 said:

We've had Lifelock for several years now BUT both times we were hacked our bank noticed first and gave us a quick phone call. Honestly it's a pain in the a$$ to update all the places where we use EFTs but it's better than losing money.

I think the point of Lifelock, though, isn't so much financial crimes as it is true identity theft. Like someone using your SSN to open accounts vs. someone getting a hold of your debit card number.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was given lifelock 10 years ago after the computers were stolen from my dentists's office.

Worthless, imho. It doesn't stop id theft, just informs you after the fact.

My credit has been frozen for 10 years. Costs $5 per agency (Experian, Transunion and Equifax). If I want new credit somewhere, I give them my 1-time only PIN.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
azstonie|1469054281|4057716 said:
I was given lifelock 10 years ago after the computers were stolen from my dentists's office.

Worthless, imho. It doesn't stop id theft, just informs you after the fact.

My credit has been frozen for 10 years. Costs $5 per agency (Experian, Transunion and Equifax). If I want new credit somewhere, I give them my 1-time only PIN.

I'm frozen now too. But honestly I'm really happy that it was me and not DH. He is the head of multiple business entities and financially complex. I was going lucky that I found out within days without a monitoring service. I realize that it can't prevent the theft, but I want to minimize the damage. Maybe next time we won't be so lucky.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you have it handled. I froze DH's at the same time. I see our FICO on a monthly basis.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results