shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling with engagement ring and customs

the-chef

Rough_Rock
Time is getting closer and I've been narrowing down my diamond pics and settings thanks to some help from a few members here! I have a question regarding customs and the engagement ring. We will be traveling to Europe, Greece to be exact, where I plan on proposing. It's my homeland and always been her dream to go to Greece. The last time I went to Greece, 2 years ago, I had to fill out a customs declaration form upon arriving in Europe and also arriving back to the USA. What would be my best option or choice as far as the diamond ring goes? Do I declare it or not? I know the limit is 10k for travel or something in that area. I hop I'm asking the right questions here.

Also, pack the ring in my carry on or on myself obviously...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, you shouldn't have any problems arriving in Europe as a US * resident* . You can take personal possessions with you and back again, the 10 k restriction applies for cash.

The only potential problem would be the return to the US, where you'd have to declare any goods that you ACQUIRED in Europe/outside the US. Since this isn't the case, you don't have to pay any duties.

However, for a brand new item like an engagement ring they can ask you to proof that the item was purchased in US and any applicable taxes were paid (should be easy, since I guess you still have all the paperwork).

I am no tax official / customs officer, but this is how the customs dept. explained the to me me when my SO was a US resident. If you want to be 1000% sure, you should ask an officer next time you travel or call the authorities....

the-chef

Rough_Rock
@kipari

Thank you for you post. I was thinking they this would be the case. I'll take with me all documentation of the ring purchase "just in case" customs at LAX wants to be a pain in the butt...which they tend to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
I have no input here, but wanted to wish you good luck if we don't here from you again before the trip!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results