shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Thank you Sparklies for your generosity and sharing your design. Lilmosun and minousbijoux for your kind words, might not be setting it soon need to replenish my jewelry fund first!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am excited to report that I am finally setting 3 of my multiple loose stones :lol:

I'm setting my 10mm fantasy cut ammy in a semi-bezel style (an example is shown in the screenshot below--it's gold in the example but the vendor will be taking pics of my stone w. yellow gold vs. white gold so I could decide). 1462933575518.jpg

I'm setting my heart-shaped spessartite in a bypass style (shown in white gold in the screen shot, but again need to decide for sure whether I want white vs. yellow gold) 1462675518031.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-27%20at%2011.00.47%20AM.png

Lastly, I'll be setting my square blue tourmaline (which I almost sold before re-falling in love with it) in a setting like the one below, except obviously my stone is square, and instead of using diamonds as shown, I'll just have 3 gold balls at each side of the stone. The setting will be a mix of silver and gold.
icm_fullxfull.91613651_32udzp5xmig44o0o4wkw.jpg
il_570xN.796806456_e2qj.jpg

I'm excited to finally set these stones, and plan to continue setting and (try) to avoid buying any more loose stones for a while. But resistance to loose stones is usually futile, so we will see how it goes :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hehe, as it turns out, I got this stone after all! Yayyy!

I'm in process of setting 4 loose gems so this one will have to wait and be admired in the case for while unless I liquid a bunch of items quickly lol.

1.62 ct tsav 8.1 x 7.6mm

_37340.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats Lovesdogs and MakingTheGrade on your recent acquisitions! I am thrilled that both of you are having many of your lovelies set.

Here is my contribution to the thread. A 3.41 carat concave cut pink spinel. I have an AIGS lab report that designates the color as pink. It does shift from reddish/pink (best light) to pink and in it's worst light purplish/pink.

039_0.jpg
024_0.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, LisaRN! That's an amazing stone and I adore the color! Who cut that? I always think of Richard Homer when I see concave cuts, but obviously lots of other people do them too. I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1464379705|4037080 said:
Wow, LisaRN! That's an amazing stone and I adore the color! Who cut that? I always think of Richard Homer when I see concave cuts, but obviously lots of other people do them too. I'm excited to see what you do with it!

Thank you lovedogs! I am exploring ideas on how to set this stone. For example- the lovely Paraiba ring threads have made me consider color combinations instead of just diamonds as accent stones. I have seen lovely blues and blue greens but also blues surrounded by red and pink. I have been so influenced by these threads with their creativity (and the gorgeous rings) that I bought Spessie side stones for my purple spinel. For this stone I am thinking green as accent stones. Either as side stones or melee.

What are your thoughts regarding what vibrant color might best accent this stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hooray, I love thinking about color combos, particularly when I can mess with it using crappy "preview" skills :)

I took a bunch of photos from Yvonne's Etsy site and then put single stones around your stone. My personal favorite is the Tsav or Spessartite next to your stone, since I think they really pop. The emerald is a little too dark IMHO, I also like the merelani mint (the lighter green). I"m less of a fan of the blue or yellow next to your stone, since I think they almost blend too much. But what matters most is what you love :)

ETA: from top to right: Tsav, Hayunite (cant spell that), merelani mint, spess, yellow sapphire, emerald.

024_0.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1464381822|4037091 said:
hooray, I love thinking about color combos, particularly when I can mess with it using crappy "preview" skills :)

I took a bunch of photos from Yvonne's Etsy site and then put single stones around your stone. My personal favorite is the Tsav or Spessartite next to your stone, since I think they really pop. The emerald is a little too dark IMHO, I also like the merelani mint (the lighter green). I"m less of a fan of the blue or yellow next to your stone, since I think they almost blend too much. But what matters most is what you love :)

ETA: from top to right: Tsav, Hayunite (cant spell that), merelani mint, spess, yellow sapphire, emerald.

024_0.jpg

Thank you so much for the visual guide as it has really helped me! :appl: I think I will search for merelani mint stones.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad you scored the beautiful tsav MakingtheGrade! I can't wait to see how you set it. Looks like you, lovedogs and LisaRN have some exciting beautiful projects in the works!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I traded my star sapphire ring with another PSer for this 1.93 Ceylon Blue Spinel ring. The stone was from Art Cut Gems. I love it! I finally have a sparkly spinel.

20160528_133207.jpg

20160528_132932.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more

20160528_150609.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Also a chubby orangey pink tourmaline ring by Janish Jewels!

20160528_165843.jpg

20160528_165808.jpg

20160528_165750.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oooh Ilovegemstones I love your two new rings! The blue spinel is a great steely color, and the tourmaline is bright and perfect!

eos512

Shiny_Rock

got a bicolored tourmaline yesterday. Here comes the picture of this year's acquisition.

_3880.jpeg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that is a yummy shot!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calling LIsaRN: There are a pair of precision cut merelani's on LT right now being sold by one of our own members! I think the price is super reasonable, so wanted you to know asap!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1464571050|4037941 said:
Calling LIsaRN: There are a pair of precision cut merelani's on LT right now being sold by one of our own members! I think the price is super reasonable, so wanted you to know asap!

They really are pretty, and I love Katharath's seasoned eye and detailed description - especially as she explains why while lovely, she would not consider them trade ideal as the last seller stated in her listing. This is the kind of thing that I wish more sellers would do. :))

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

6.91 ct Sillimanite from Jim M. Going through a green phase apparently
20160530_174230.jpg closest colour to what I see IRL
20160530_174432.jpg #oldladyhands

And vendor pic
screenshot_2016-05-08-12-55-47.png

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

Love that tourmaline ring. It looks like a Lollie :lickout:

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock

Little ruby parcel arrived today. Plans for wedding band for 4 of them in yellow gold. 1.19ct total for 8 pieces possible heat from Mozambique. Also from Jim M. 2.7mm square

20160601_145021.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sally just sent me these sketches for my ring! Squee! I'm leaning towards the Etruscan design but with the pear in the other orientation. Thoughts?

_37475.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the one you're leaning towards and I like the top right

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1465038965|4040078 said:
I like the one you're leaning towards and I like the top right

I like the top right but I think it may be too delicate for a wrap style ring. Also I had my heart set on bezels!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the two on the left (etruscan and "water motif"). But I think the etruscan is my favorite :) I think it's going to look great regardless of which way the pear is facing, but if you prefer it facing the other way then I'd say go for it! I'm excited to see how it develops!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1464221026|4036306 said:
I think I only have pics of 3 of the 4

The arrow shaped leuco garnet will be one ring
I'm setting the Tsav and opal together in one ring
And then I sent her a crystal opal that I don't have a photo of for another ring.

Can't wait to see them! I haven't sent anything to Sally in a while and am trying to be good about buying new stones. I'll have to live vicariously.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1464584656|4037985 said:
lovedogs|1464571050|4037941 said:

They really are pretty, and I love Katharath's seasoned eye and detailed description - especially as she explains why while lovely, she would not consider them trade ideal as the last seller stated in her listing. This is the kind of thing that I wish more sellers would do. :))

Thank you so much for the compliment Minous, it means a lot :). I do really try my best in my listings, and it makes me feel great to see my efforts being appreciated.

(And ty Lovedogs for the shout out! I generally don't ever comment on my listings outside of Preloved; obviously I'm not a trade member, but I try to avoid any conflict of interest. However, this pair has sold now, so I hope this comment is ok! ;-) )

katharath

Ideal_Rock

puppyguts|1464757483|4038844 said:
Little ruby parcel arrived today. Plans for wedding band for 4 of them in yellow gold. 1.19ct total for 8 pieces possible heat from Mozambique. Also from Jim M. 2.7mm square

20160601_145021.jpg

Ooh I remember that parcel, yummy!! I'd love to see them set in your band when it's completed.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Ok one more post.

So, I'd had plans with Yvonne to meet up at the JCK show this year, like we did last year, and I was so excited. Then I had to cancel bc I got sick again. I don't like to discuss it much, but I have a recurring medical issue that flares up periodically, and of course it chose THIS WEEK to happen. Actually it started the first day of the gem show, and although the show is over, my flare up is still going on, so I didn't get to go :(. To console myself I did buy (online of course) some tiny green gems from Yvonne. A pair of tiny Russian demantoids, which I've been wanting for years, and a trio of little 3 mm Kenya tsav cushions. I've already got them and they're all so bright and pretty! The tsavs are even better than the pics. The demantoids are very accurate.

No idea what I'll do with them, but I wanted something from the show, dammit!! Even if I didn't get to go :(. I might get a sapphire too, Yvonne has some on memo for me to look at...I will post if I do. Sorry for the whine, I'm just tired of medical issues...

ETA - LOVEDOGS - ooh your ammy at the top of the page is beautiful!!

_1206.png

_1207.png

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

katharath|1465342416|4041395 said:
Ok one more post.

So, I'd had plans with Yvonne to meet up at the JCK show this year, like we did last year, and I was so excited. Then I had to cancel bc I got sick again. I don't like to discuss it much, but I have a recurring medical issue that flares up periodically, and of course it chose THIS WEEK to happen. Actually it started the first day of the gem show, and although the show is over, my flare up is still going on, so I didn't get to go :(. To console myself I did buy (online of course) some tiny green gems from Yvonne. A pair of tiny Russian demantoids, which I've been wanting for years, and a trio of little 3 mm Kenya tsav cushions. I've already got them and they're all so bright and pretty! The tsavs are even better than the pics. The demantoids are very accurate.

No idea what I'll do with them, but I wanted something from the show, dammit!! Even if I didn't get to go :(. I might get a sapphire too, Yvonne has some on memo for me to look at...I will post if I do. Sorry for the whine, I'm just tired of medical issues...

ETA - LOVEDOGS - ooh your ammy at the top of the page is beautiful!!

Feel better. And pretty stones.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath|1465342416|4041395 said:
Ok one more post.

So, I'd had plans with Yvonne to meet up at the JCK show this year, like we did last year, and I was so excited. Then I had to cancel bc I got sick again.

Oh no!! I was so looking forward to hearing about your adventures.. I'm glad you were able to get a few pretties...love those bright greens! I've been talking myself down from buying the pair of baby demantoids she has for sale...telling myself that she already added one to my gaudy ring and that should suffice...but guess I have the last hours of her sale to decide :think: I hope you feel better soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results