shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Etiquette from 1922

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
For those who are missing "Downton Abbey" because of the Oscars, a few words of advice to men on their jewelry
from Emily Post:
JEWELRY

In your jewelry let diamonds be conspicuous by their absence. Nothing is more vulgar than a display of “ice” on a man’s shirt front, or on his fingers.
There is a good deal of jewelry that a gentleman may be allowed to wear, but it must be chosen with discrimination. Pearl shirt-studs (real ones) are correct for full dress only, and not to be worn with a dinner coat unless they are so small as to be entirely inconspicuous. Otherwise you may wear enamel studs (that look like white linen) or black onyx with a rim of platinum, or with a very inconspicuous pattern in diamond chips, but so tiny that they can not be told from a threadlike design in platinum—or others equally moderate. 26
Waistcoat buttons, studs and cuff links, worn in sets, is an American custom that is permissible. Both waistcoat buttons and cuff links may be jewelled and valuable, but they must not have big precious stones or be conspicuous. 27
A watch chain should be very thin and a man’s ring is usually a seal ring of plain gold or a dark stone. If a man wears a jewel at all it should be sunk into a plain “gypsy hoop” setting that has no ornamentation, and worn on his “little,” not his third, finger.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1456698094|3997095 said:
For those who are missing "Downton Abbey" because of the Oscars, a few words of advice to men on their jewelry
from Emily Post:
JEWELRY

In your jewelry let diamonds be conspicuous by their absence. Nothing is more vulgar than a display of “ice” on a man’s shirt front, or on his fingers.
There is a good deal of jewelry that a gentleman may be allowed to wear, but it must be chosen with discrimination. Pearl shirt-studs (real ones) are correct for full dress only, and not to be worn with a dinner coat unless they are so small as to be entirely inconspicuous. Otherwise you may wear enamel studs (that look like white linen) or black onyx with a rim of platinum, or with a very inconspicuous pattern in diamond chips, but so tiny that they can not be told from a threadlike design in platinum—or others equally moderate. 26
Waistcoat buttons, studs and cuff links, worn in sets, is an American custom that is permissible. Both waistcoat buttons and cuff links may be jewelled and valuable, but they must not have big precious stones or be conspicuous. 27
A watch chain should be very thin and a man’s ring is usually a seal ring of plain gold or a dark stone. If a man wears a jewel at all it should be sunk into a plain “gypsy hoop” setting that has no ornamentation, and worn on his “little,” not his third, finger.

Thanks.

I just threw away all my diamonds.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Emily Post (and etiquette in general), but I won't let her tell me what to wear. (or my husband)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting how in under 100 years, cuff links and tie tacks are no longer standard wear for American men.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1456698551|3997100 said:
Thanks.

Have you forgotten that i am your long lost cousin that would love your package?????? of diamonds- colourless and fancy coloured as well???????

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1456706725|3997143 said:
Thanks.

Have you forgotten that i am your long lost cousin that would love your package?????? of diamonds- colourless and fancy coloured as well???????

Sorry my friend.
The trash truck has already hauled them off to some landfill.

We must submit to every fear that is thrust upon us.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny....

i think i am going to hurl.....

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh.
No big loss.
They were all much smaller than the Hope Diamond.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
But me no complain, esp if they are going into the bin. next time, pls let me know.... I would be glad to take them off your hands.

:-p

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boerum, good to see you :appl: :wavey:

And you brought one of my 10 favorite words out to play: Vulgar. It gives me shivers in the hands of Maggie Smith for example :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I actually miss cufflinks on men. So elegant IMO

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back when we were required to wear formal attire to work daily, I used to wear cuff links to work.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
My husband wears french cuff shirts every day, therefore cufflinks.

He has quite a wardrobe of them, from monogrammed silver Tiffany cufflinks, to some novelty pairs like bikes and Volkswagon Kombis.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1456764806|3997353 said:
Hi,

I actually miss cufflinks on men. So elegant IMO

Annette

Back in the day when my dh and I were dating I bought him gorgeous monogrammed gold cufflinks and yes he still wears them to this day. Not every day but when he does he looks so good wearing them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1456698094|3997095 said:
from Emily Post:
JEWELRY

Thanks.

Off to rummage through some dumpsters, then ;-)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1456764888|3997354 said:
Back when we were required to wear formal attire to work daily, I used to wear cuff links to work.

I love my cuff links. I don't wear them daily but they are such a nice touch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results